View Poll Results: How many times did you tell Dick Button to "Be quiet"?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only once, I usually agree with him.

13 22.81%
  • Twice, he semi bugs me.

3 5.26%
  • Three or 4 times, he makes me want to pull out some hair.

14 24.56%
  • 5 or more times. I usually have to mute my TV.

16 28.07%
  • Never-I am Dick Button. :/

11 19.30%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many times did you tell Dick Button to "Be quiet" during Campbell's?

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar

How many times did you tell Dick Button to "Be quiet" during Campbell's?

How many times did you tell Dick Button to "Be quiet" during Campbell's?

I think I did around 4 or 5 times. :D It's definitely a new season, now!

Custom Title
    It was Peggy I was telling to be quiet! Usually its Terry the talking head that drives me crazy.

Custom Title
    I was yelling "Shut Up!" at all three of them.

Custom Title
    Dick was not the only one babbling.

When Evan started skating, Johnny was being interviewed. That really irritates me. It is bad enough that the 3 commentators are talking during the skating. Do we have to listen to an interview of another skater too? This was not as bad as couple years ago when Kimmie was interviewed throughout Miki Ando's skate.

I am afraid the talking during the skating is something we cannot get rid of. Just have to train my brain to ignore the talking.

LOL Vash, I know.

I'm alright at blocking out Peggy....i guess lol

The comments don't bug me, it's the timing. Blaa blaa bla throught the beginning, end, whatever, JUST NOT DURING THE SKATE! It is so simple and I hear it all the time now.

Not only that but I have a tendency to think out loud, so they are interrupting me

A number of times I am watching I am telling a new viewer what something is / might be. That is about all I feel there is ANY justification for (but they should just put the name on the screen with the potential score for it - back to my real time scoreboard refining). They "could" say what move is in the pro and or what they did - a comment of "wow what a ..." may be tolerated, still be better if it was put on the screen, **AND NOT ACROSS THE SKATERS! I would still just like to listen to the music - and I have found from re-dubbing the music they use to a pro - I miss the sound of the spectators as well, so it really comes down to -

No comments during or for 3 seconds before or after a routine.
    OR
    Simulcast 2 separate audio - one with No commentators.

I like all three of them ( I think Peter chimed in there a couple of times in between as he should) and like to hear what they think - and Peggy is still easy on the eyes - so I do like the "opinions" and telling Dick through the TV mine But I am so against comments during as I have went of on a few of these aspects before I will "zip it."

**Some one should start a "I love the skaters but the coverage is stinky because..."

Great poll, thanks CzarinaAnya
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 10-16-2006 at 07:00 PM.

I don't think I would mind Dick so much if he could actually do his job. He seems better suited to commentate a symphony concert or ballet, he barely recognizes teh elements in a sport he once dominated.

and his ranting is so tired anymore it's just not needed.

his beat down on the other commentators and not allowing them their own opinions drives me up a wall...

the only one I can stand is Terry... he makes the most sense (Peggy waffles too much)

He really bugs me. What he says is somewhat right but sometimes he really puts down the skaters. Give them some credit for just being there. I just wish that they wouldn't talk so much when they are skating. A few comments are okay but talking throughout their whole program is just rude.

Dick Button voted! lol

Tripping on the Podium
    Just once, during Sarah Meier's SP. He seems to have a coupel katers who he is always criticizing and she seems to be one. Come on, her spins aren't that bad and her spiral isn't the worst out there!

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I usually agree with Dick Button, although I wouldn't always word my comments the same way (e.g. I remember his referring to one avant garde skater as being "a little touch of paprika". What the heck is that? ) I believe he makes skating better. Each year he seems to pick an element that is being widely sloppily executed and harp on it, and guess what? The next year it's better! He used to gripe about spirals all the time because skaters were making it a "throwaway" move. The next thing you know, Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen and others are making it their trademark move...

I've never had the pleasure (???) of hearing Button and Flemming's commentary until i started looking up performances on youtube...honestly i don't know how you guys can cope with it - it would drive me mad - the random fluff interviews the constant babbling of irrlevant twaddle that they come up with when they could just watch the performance ant shut up.

I feel grateful that in the UK, whether the skating's on the BBC or Eurosport - all of the commentators keep their non program specific comments to before and after the performance and all the comments during the perfoamnce are strictly about the elements, give or take one or two usual Eurosprt necessaries - like Elena B blade in the head story, or [insert female skateer name] battling bulemia/anorexia but she's now better comment.

Ant

I wish I had EuroSport lol.

I think I would miss Dick & Peggy if I hadn't heard them all season, but mostly, I do wish they would save their comments for after a program and keep it positive as much as they can.

Custom Title
    I love Dick Button's commentary. His comments are usually sharp but right on the targets. I agree with him most of the time. Yes, I do wish he would say less during the performance and comment them after. The only time I was puzzled was he went after the twizzles in the ice dance. But that was not at Campbell's.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 11-15-2006 at 09:49 AM.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Uncle Dick can be baffling (e.g. about Kimmie's fan spiral) but the Buttonisms are fun, and I love his enthusiasm. Peggy is a snooze. She repeats herself too much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast