Chinese Pairs(Shen/Zhao etc) Update | Golden Skate

Chinese Pairs(Shen/Zhao etc) Update

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I understand Chinese and found out several sources(blogs, forums etc) to track the lastest of Chinese skaters, especially three top Chinese pairs. If you are interested, I will keep on updating this new thread.

I'll start today with an update on Shen and Zhao, most of the following content is translated from their blog.

Background:

From Oct 19 to Oct 20, Chinese national team will have an internal test before the new season kicks off. Shen/Zhao will test run their new programs for the first time. This season may be Shen & Zhao’s last one, they have changed all three programs (short, long and exhibition). They will use ‘Romanza’ for their short and ‘meditation’(??? translated from Chinese) for their long program, the exhibition program will use ‘My Way’, another spanish piece. Shen and Zhao will make their grand prix debut in Nanjing, China on Nov 9th. Their goal is to win as many gold medals as possible!

Shen/Zhao’s blog:
2006/10/19:
The test started from 3:30 pm, we put on our new costume for the first time this season. It’s been 8 months since Olys and we are finally able to compete again!! It is long overdue!

We felt today’s skating was okay. After test run, we got some feedback from referees and our coach. All of them were satisfied with the choreograph. We are very pleased and the next step is to do more practice and refine the program. Zhao and I watched the tape several times this evening and we did pick up several minor things that need to be improved. Our efforts will be focused on improvement and refinement!! Tomorrow’s going to be long program.

Wow, thanks for the translation, Iloveaxel. Very cool. Are Shen and Zhou competing in the Grand Prix series this season?

I assume that "Meditation" is the famous Intermezzo from Thais?

I am a little confused about "My Way." If this is the Frank Sinatra song, then the "another Spanish piece" seems misplaced.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Wow, thanks for the translation, Iloveaxel. Very cool. Are Shen and Zhou competing in the Grand Prix series this season?

I assume that "Meditation" is the famous Intermezzo from Thais?

I am a little confused about "My Way." If this is the Frank Sinatra song, then the "another Spanish piece" seems misplaced.

I don't know the exactly English translation for these musci pieces, they can be very confusing. But they keep on saying these three pieces are all Spanish style. Go figure. I think Nori is their choreographer this season, they went to Canada at least twice to do the choereographing. I don't have time to translate those articles.

To my knowledge, both Pang/Tong and Z/Z have changed their short programs. P/T only finished their program early September, then Pang was ill for a couple of weeks. They only started training in early October, so I don't expect them to perform well at Skate America.

I'll translate more depending on whether you guys are interested or not.

We're interested, we're interested!!!! :)

That's too bad about Pang and Tong. Pairs was the only discipline that I thought I could predict at Skate America. Now we'll have to wait and see.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
CCTV5 schedule

CCTV5 Live broadcast schedule(Grand Prix Skate America)

Oct 26, Thursday Night: 9:00 – 10:15(EST) Pairs Short Live
Oct 28, Saturday Night: 7:55 – 10:00(EST) Pairs Long Live

The other events will be taped and I'll post the schedule as it becomes available.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Yes, thanks so much for the information, iloveaxel ... we appreciate it!!!

I can't wait to see S&Z's new programs ... I hope they have a perfect season!!! :yes:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Thanks for all the information. I adore Shen & Zhao and hope that this season is a great one for them. I'd like to see them win World title #3 before they retire at the end of the season. :)

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Very interesting indeed.

On a related note -- is there any information regarding any up-and-coming Chinese pairs that may be in the pipeline for down the road? We were led to believe a few years ago that the Chinese pairs were going to establish a dynasty along the lines of what Russia has done the last several decades, but currently they only seem to have 4 pairs that they send anywhere and they haven't sent a single one to the JGP so far this season. At this point I have to wonder if in fact we ARE going to be seeing that "dynasty" that was expected, or if the current pairs are going to be "it", at least for a while.

emma

Record Breaker

I'm pretty sure they are scheduled for Cup of china and NHk (Japan).

thanks for the update on Shen and Zhou! I can't wait to see these programs and hope they have a really wonderful season, especially if it is their last!

mzheng

Record Breaker
thanks for the translation. Good to hear they will appear at CupOfChina Nov. 9th. I'll be able to watch them from TV in China! :)

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Yes

Very interesting indeed.

On a related note -- is there any information regarding any up-and-coming Chinese pairs that may be in the pipeline for down the road? We were led to believe a few years ago that the Chinese pairs were going to establish a dynasty along the lines of what Russia has done the last several decades, but currently they only seem to have 4 pairs that they send anywhere and they haven't sent a single one to the JGP so far this season. At this point I have to wonder if in fact we ARE going to be seeing that "dynasty" that was expected, or if the current pairs are going to be "it", at least for a while.

Yes, they're starting to train some very young pairs, will update it next time.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Internal Test Update

On Oct 19th, the national team had its internal test. All three pairs participated. Coach Bin Yao commented his each one’s performance after the test run. He said most of them were able to skate at their practice level, but there were still some problems such as low success rate. This had to do with the fact that most of them started formal training pretty late this season (August vs. April) after the Olys.

Bin Yao was particularly satisfied with S/Z’s performance. “Except some problem in the spin, all other elements were good, especially triple twist, throw jump and side-by-side jump elements are of high quality. They had the best performance in today’s test.”

“I am satisfied with today’s performance although our spin and spiral still need improvement.”

Pang/Tong

“Other teams here for test and we are here to practice.” Tong joked with us before the test started.

According to team doctors, Pang had caught kidney infection in the middle of September. “It happened shortly after we came back from U.S. for the choreograph. Pang suddenly felt sick and we had to stop training for more than 2 weeks. We only resumed training one week ago. Look, it’s still the old costume! Today is the first time we will run through the new short program.” Said Tong.

“We feel like running 10K meters after a long pause,” P/T said after the test. P fell out on the side by side jump at the beginning of the test. “It’s a bit rusty after a long pause,” said Pang.

“We feel okay about our performance. Pang has been sick for so long and we have just started getting all elements together.” Tong patted on Pang’s back. “She has to do follow checks every two to three days.”

P/T is on the roster of Skate America, but whether they can go or not will depend on tomorrow’s LP test and opinion from team doctors. “I think to stay healthy is the most important thing. If her body can not stand intensive training, we will probably bail out. I am willing to take a one-year break.” Tong added.

Last edited:
I posted this on ISU forum.
Are you "cutepanda?" :laugh: :agree:

That's terrible news about Qing Pang. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

BTW, my Spotlight on Skating magazine :love: arrived today, and it confirmed that Shen and Zhou's LP music is indeed Massenet's Meditation.

Last edited:

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Thanks, iloveaxel! It's great to hear that Shen and Zhao are doing so well with the sbs jumps, especially.