Been attempting the Axel | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Been attempting the Axel

brinababy87

Rinkside
SeaniBu, it's awesome you got a compliment today! You should look into lessons. It's fun to be an adult skater because you can take what your coach says seriously, but you don't have to commit to learning anything or competing anything you don't want to so if it doesn't work it, it's perfectly OK. :agree:

Trust me, it's a good thing you're waiting on jumping. It may seem like it will take longer to learn them if you wait, but it really will be so much quicker because once you do have someone tell it to you (if you get a coach) you'll spend your time learning how to do it right the first time (meaning you'll have a natural inclination to do it that way) instead of spending forever trying to fix whatever you taught yourself before. Skating itsn't about trying the hardest, it's about trying the smartest. :yes:

brinababy87

Rinkside
That confirms it. As far as the Bunny I assume you mean harmless as far a learning bad tech? It sure hurt me, but it is when I wasn't paying attention - my own stupid fault. What did you mean about "spinning it." - Flip. Cheating, peroration of my upper body?
Yah, asking that really makes me feel stupid for trying this stuff without guidance.
Thanks again everybody.:bow:
Bunny hop it hard to mess up in terms of technique. I didn't mean it can't hurt you, because it certainly can! :biggrin:

I'm glad I can explain this to you about the flip, because I had this major issue from teaching myself.

When you first learn the flip (well, all jumps really) you think about getting it around, right? Your mind tells you, "I need to get all the way around," so instead of jumping up a lot of people kind of twist themselves around and land on the same foot, putting so much rotational motion into it. The truth is, single jumps should have little rotational motion as possible. You know waltz jumps, how when you jump them you don't think about getting them around, since it's only a half jump and just kind of lands around anyway? It's important that when you learn single jumps, that they feel the same way, even though it's a natural inclination to think "I need to get all the way around!" In fact, when you watch top skaters do singles, they look so open and floaty. Some may think that, "Oh, well when you get that good you make it more open and floaty," but really, if you learn single jumps in a "spinning" way, you try to do doubles in a "spinning" way and it's just so hard because you never learned how to jump, you only learned how to spin. It's important to start to jump instead when you start jumping, even if you never think you will get to anything more difficult than single jumps.

When you watch skaters do triple jumps only all the time, we get the misconception that jumping is all about spinning. In fact, my coach is having me do singles with my arms open the whole time. Once I get solid singles that way, in order to do doubles, all I have to do is pull my arms in.

Last edited:

Spins

Spectator
Jumping Anytime

SeaniBu,

Trust me. If you can do whatever the jump might be on the ground or floor then you can do it anytime. That is, as long as you're doing it well:clap: .

Gary

c_e_ahlen

On the Ice
You tried it on a trampoline? I tried working on my double Axel and triples on it, but nearly broke my ankles because the damn thing is so slippery and it was so easy to fly all over the place. I'd be a lot more careful if I were you. And yeah, I agree with the others, get a coach! If you start learning something on your own, you can get many bad habits that can be REALLY hard to get rid off later (trust me, I've been there).