Skate America on TV comes up very short in America | Golden Skate

Skate America on TV comes up very short in America

According to Heather's schedule (thanks MM), there is no LIVE TV of the events.

Oct 29 will show an hour of Ladies Short. That will be the only SP shown of Skate America.

Later in the day on ESPN, they will show Mens, Pairs LPs and Free Dance for two hours.

On Nov.5 they will show the Ladies LP for 1 hour.

There is no Exhibitions to be shown. I will check with the USFS schedule on this and if I do not return, Heather's schedule is gospel.

I wonder if Canadian TV will show Skate America?

btw, I'm getting a gut feeling that Alban Preaubert will be special.

Joe

This totally stinks. I might conceivably be able to hold out and not be "spoiled" for the October 29th broadcast. But the ladies' free skate won't be shown for another week!

Guess I'll be looking for a web-cast (or play-by-play here on GS by all you guys who are lucky enough to go and can sneak in your laptop. ;) )

PS. Don't forget to put first-hand reports in the Events folder under Skate America, not here in the Edge. Also, try not to put spoilers in the titles of threads.

Jhar55

Medalist
think will be able to pick any up on eruosports?
or does anyone have link for another place?

heyang

Record Breaker
I don't recall ever seeing anything other than perhaps the GPF broadcast live of all the GP events.

I don't recall ever seeing anything other than perhaps the GPF broadcast live of all the GP events.
Yes, that's probaly true, unless maybe Skate America had some live coverage years ago (?)

But to me it totally kills any interest a person might have had in watching the competition as a sporting event. Nobody would watch even the Super Bowl the day after, when you already know who won.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Last year, CCTV5 in China broadcast the GP events, and some of them were enabled for Internet viewing. (Plus, they showed all, or nearly all of the skaters.) The videos showed up almost immediately on the Skate Videos site.

To download the eventss of the current season, you have to post some videos, and copies of those you've made and reposted count. (You don't have to produce your own videos.) There's an FAQ that explains all of this on the site.

Spins

Spectator
Skate America

My wife loves the stock car racing but those aren't my kind of circles.

Me and the kids will be looking for it. I think there was skating a month or two ago on T.V., wasn't there?

Gary

The Campbell's Cup kicked off the season last week and was televised live (the mens and ladies part). There was also a series of blasts from the past on ESPN Classic.

Here a link to Heather's TV skating schedule.

http://heatherw.com/mk/sch.htm

MM :)

Lanie

On the Ice
CCTV is broadcasting the GP, so all else fails, downloading is the best thing ever. :)

guinevere

Final Flight
I find it really annoying that ABC will show 2 cheesefest live, but gives such short shrift to actual competition! My guess is that they think the names of the cheesefests will draw in more casual viewers (who don't really know the difference anyway) than Skate America which will have skaters that aren't known outside of skating fan circles.

Last year SA was the only GP competition to be broadcast on ABC - this year they're only giving us the Ladies! Hello, some people still don't have cable!! sux.

The delay in GP coverage did not use to bother me - I would stay unspoiled for weeks waiting for the competitions to air. Now, there's no point in waiting, so I just "watch" it live on the 'net.

The only good thing about this season's coverage that I can see is that the Nationals coverage will be in the afternoons.

I find it really annoying that ABC will show 2 cheesefest live, but gives such short shrift to actual competition! My guess is that they think the names of the cheesefests will draw in more casual viewers (who don't really know the difference anyway) than Skate America which will have skaters that aren't known outside of skating fan circles.
Although, this year the Campbell's line-up was practically the same as Skate America. Ando, both Asada's, Kimmie, Emily, Lysacek, Oda. Maybe they thought with no Michelle they had to have Sasha.

To me, it means that the televsion networks are thinking of figure skating as a show rather than a sport.

R.D.

Record Breaker
hey, does anyone know if ABC's coverage of SA will be available in HD?

To me, it means that the televsion networks are thinking of figure skating as a show rather than a sport.

After all, that's how it's promoted here (in the states) and how the majority of people see it. I also tend to think of it more as a show than a sport because that's mostly what I see. It's like a show, an activity and then you have the competitive "sport" division (do you know what I mean?)

Although, this year the Campbell's line-up was practically the same as Skate America. Ando, both Asada's, Kimmie, Emily, Lysacek, Oda. Maybe they thought with no Michelle they had to have Sasha.

I noticed on the USFS website that Marshalls in December will be an All-American a phone-in contest with Kimmie, Emilie and others to be named. I think they should have Caroline Zhang but it will be just American seniors.

I can just hear Peter asking Kimme 'what were you thinking about when you fell on the 3A?' and telling Emilie that she two-footed the triple flip, and another top skater 'you were not at your best, were you?' The phone-ins will begin and Michelle Kwan will win even though she wasn't even near the arena.

Joe

Thanks for the heads up about the December Marshall's show, Joe. I saw the event listed on the TV schedule and was wondering when a fuller announcement would be made. (Here is the link to the article that Joe mentioned)

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=36164

"Following the success of the 2005 event,..." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (The world's stupidest skating contest rolls on into it's second fun-filled season. :rock: )

I see they roped Sasha into doing it.

But here's a new twist -- the men, ladies, pairs and dance teams are all competing against each other. I hope Emily Hughes creames Inoue and Baldwin, LOL.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Guess I'll be looking for a web-cast (or play-by-play here on GS by all you guys who are lucky enough to go and can sneak in your laptop. ;) )

AFAIK, there are no rules against having personal laptops brought in... they let us have them at nationals...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kind of funny that Houston is considered "west coast" :laugh:

Interesting that they are doing this vote thing again. WIthout MK will they be able to pull in 1/2 as many votes as last year? :scratch:

Once again, this is likely going to be a popularity contest. Not enough of us know this new judging system to make a fair assessment

rain

Record Breaker
I noticed on the USFS website that Marshalls in December will be an All-American a phone-in contest with Kimmie, Emilie and others to be named. I think they should have Caroline Zhang but it will be just American seniors.

I can just hear Peter asking Kimme 'what were you thinking about when you fell on the 3A?' and telling Emilie that she two-footed the triple flip, and another top skater 'you were not at your best, were you?' The phone-ins will begin and Michelle Kwan will win even though she wasn't even near the arena.

Joe

I really object to this "phone-in" judging. It's totally absurd. Naturally it turns into a popularity contest, or whose name everyone most knows. It actually astounds me that high-profile skaters would attend such a stupid event.

Yeah, my money's on the absent Kwan too..... I'm sure Dorothy Hamill will get a few votes as well.

nymkfan51

Medalist
It's a silly format, I agree on that. But ... if they feel so determined to do it anyway, I sure hope they leave the ABC announcers out of it. If they want to have basically a popularity contest, then so be it ... just PLEASE don't subject us to that awful commentary!!!