Roller Derby on Ice | Golden Skate

Roller Derby on Ice

S

SkateFan4Life

Roller Derby on Ice

Have any of you experienced a session of recreational skating that can best be described as a kind of "Roller Derby on ice?"

Several winters ago I frequently skated at a local rink and usually enjoyed their evening sessions. Sometimes, however, a large number of high school kids flooded the rink, and some of them, unfortunately, skated with little thought of safety and/or consideration for the other skaters. These kids, mostly
teenaged boys, played the "whip" at the corner of each end of the rink, raced in and out of people, cut into groups of other groups of people, ran into and knocked down people, etc. Two of them, while racing around the rink, slammed into me and knocked me down, hard, on my right hip. My hipbone swelled into an egg-sized black and blue bruise, and while there were no broken bones/fractures, it was pretty painful.

The rink did nothing to stop this type of dangerous behavior.
Frankly, I was pleased when the rink closed due to lack of business. Perhaps somebody else was knocked down and sued the rink. :eek:

G

Glacierskater

Re: Roller Derby on Ice

SKATEFAN:
I could not handle it if my rink was closed! However, it was very rude and ill behaved of them to do that to you. Where were the skate guards?

We have some people that goof off during our sessions, but it is not too bad. They usually get reprimanded and then booted out. Our facility has a saying posted on the door:
"All are welcome who behave as ladies and gentlemen. NO EXCEPTIONS."
Ours is a community center that is essentially free, except for club dues. I have seen people kicked out. In fact, one time I was practicing with some other skaters and a kid yelled down repeatedly, "YOU STINK!" (Stink was actually another word.) I guess that he thought he was safe at the top of the stairs, but I came to a very hard hockey stop at the ice and proceeded to march my leotard and georgette skirt-clad self (I was being girly that day) up those stairs and let him know in no uncertain terms was I going to be yelled at like that, and that I put in way too much work, fall way too hard, and spend way too much time trying to improve my skating to have some little CHILD screaming his uneducated opinion of my skating at the top of his lungs across my ice. I also invited him to get some skates on and I would don my hockey skates and we could go at a little one on one if he preferred. He abruptly left in tears. I probably should have just backed off, but we young kids there on the ice and I was in no mood that day to put up with little ingrates that had no appreciation for that facility that they basically take for granted. I have since made of for my outburst by skating public sessions, and picking little ones up off the ice, and encouraging up and coming skaters. I can't promise, if insulted again, that hockey chick won't come back though :p
Am I rambling? (lol - do people really laugh out loud when they type that?)

Glacier

C

Cinderella On Ice

GLACIERSKATER - Honestly, I didn't LAUGH out loud when I read your post, I SNORTED out loud!!! (SOL - a new acronym!) Ah ha ha ha ha hahahahahahaha. Your story cracked me up. I could just see the little georgette skirt being all sort of sassy and swingy as you marched up those steps and gave the poor kid what-for. Little snot deserved every minute of it, though I'm glad to hear that you only pack your worst venom about once a year. I'm sure everyone else is benefiting now from your community service. I can't WAIT to meet you at Adult Nationals in 2005. You WILL be there, or we'll give you a taste of your own medicine!

G

Glacierskater

CINDERELLA:

SOL - I LIKE IT! I am really going to try to make it to 2004 AN. Maybe volunteer and help out, and to get a feel for what it is like, before I go in 2005 and take to the big girl's ice. Makes my tummy tickle just thinking about it! :eek:

I think that I am getting addicted to emoticons...

D

dlksk8fan

Glacierskater I just had to chuckle at your story. You go Girl!

Keep on skating!

S

SkateFan4Life

That little snotty brat got what he deserved! Some figure skating rinks have about as much class as, well, a bowling alley. My apologies to all bowlers out there! You know what I mean -- screaming, pushing, generally boorish behavior. Give me a break. :x

L

Ladskater

SkateFan4Life:

Pretty much anytime I attend a public - not adult only -skating session it could be termed as a "roller derby on Ice" only here in Canada one has to also contend with the "wanna be ice hockey" stars at the end of the ice who eventually have the nerve to skate right in your pathway passing the puck! I don't know how many times I have been almost "bowled" over by a budding Wayne Gretsky! And then there is of course the "ankle biters" who are just learning to skate so one is constantly playing "leap frog" to get out of their way.

I used to <strong>never</strong> set foot on a public skating session when I figure skated. I wouldn't go ten feet near one of <em>those</em> sessions ! Now of course, in my non-figure skating years, I haven't got much choice unless I want to join a figure skating club and have all the young figure skaters skating circles around me!

So, unless I want to give up skating forever - although once in awhile I do luck out and hit an adult only session - those I don't mind, I am going to have to keep dodging the fledgling skaters and ice hockey gangs out there on the <strong>dreaded</strong> public session!

Ladskater

S

SkateFan4Life

And then there are the wise guys who supposedly work as skating "lifeguards" in the public sessions, who skate around to help pick up folks when they tumble, and who tell the hot shots to cool it and stop racing around the rink. These
"guards" are sometimes more dangerous than the characters they are trying to stop, as they race around the rink, weaving in and out of packs of skaters. I nearly collided with two of them at the same public session I received the whack in the hip. Oh, the joys of recreational skating.....:eek:

:rollin: :rollin: