USFS to WebCast 2006/07 Qualifying Comps | Golden Skate

USFS to WebCast 2006/07 Qualifying Comps

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Thanks for the FYI, have to wait 10 days after but that is cool. I have heard they are "boring" but I am sure I will get a kick out of them.

Web cast means it will be broadcast over the web, in your browser you can watch - providing you have a high speed connection. I will have to assume streaming rather than a download, so it should play in your browser. i.e. IE :laugh: or something. I bet it will be tinny little screen too.

Thanks for the FYI, have to wait 10 days after but that is cool. I have heard they are "boring" but I am sure I will get a kick out of them.
The Junior level is not all that boring if you are looking for 4 or 5 excellent skaters not unlike Seniors. Also if you are a die hard fan of one skater then nothing will be lively except that one skater. One has to love the Sport to enjoy all the competitions, and it's fun to pick out someone special.

Seanibu - Anyway, what is a webcast do I have to download something to use it?

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Think of a webcast as an online broadcast. In order to watch a TV broadcast you just need a TV and antenna, right? (forget about cable/satellite for now)

So for a webcast you just need a computer, internet connection and media player. There should be a link to watch it, right?

emma

Record Breaker
Oh this sounds great...we can preview at least some of the regionals (once we have further info provided by usfsa) before making the decision to subcribe for the service. I'm excited about this.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
The Junior level is not all that boring if you are looking for 4 or 5 excellent skaters not unlike Seniors. Also if you are a die hard fan of one skater then nothing will be lively except that one skater. One has to love the Sport to enjoy all the competitions, and it's fun to pick out someone special.

Seanibu - Anyway, what is a webcast do I have to download something to use it?

Joe

I heard someone say that QRs were kind of boring, I think it would be exciting to me.

Web cast by definition are broadcast on the internet where you watch them in your browser, i.e web streaming.

If you have a TV tuner this will not suffice. You need an internet connection. And the dial up will be a choppy mess of "seasickness." If it is a downloadable file I will jump for joy because I will have a file I can watch whenever I want and get to see it in the first place. I love the idea of getting to see a QR broadcast in any way, shape or form. get me the drool bucket.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
You wouldn't be able to download it unless you have "grabber" or "stream capture" software (or the streamer creates a downloadable file afterward).

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Joesitz, were able to view the Nottingham Gala Video Montage & Interviews
that La Rhumba posted? If so this should be the same thing for you.

RD, I have heard that you can hunt down the files url in your log of internet activity - regarding Macromedia files - then save it with QTpro or something, but never have tried this. I wonder if that type of software does a similar thing?

R.D.

Record Breaker
hmm...Flash video is in the .flv format, isn't it?

I know one can save videos from sites such as Youtube, etc. with a special website program. It's also possible to save streaming Quicktime vids with QTPro, I believe.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Yes it is.:agree:

BTW, they only recently made it impossible to go back to QT 6.5.2 - or at least to difficult to spend 20$ instead. Wit 6.5.2 I was always able to save everything but flvs. Just interesting. I don't think QT is the end all or anything, just thought it was interesting that only in the past year or so this change was made.

BTW, I do not have a special website pro and have saved a YT vid. But they are ridiculously pixelated and choppy it is not worth it.

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
Does anyone have a link to where we can watch Skate America or other GP event live via computer?
I have Eurosport but not sure if we can view from there.

Alsace

On the Ice
Yes it is.:agree:

BTW, they only recently made it impossible to go back to QT 6.5.2 - or at least to difficult to spend 20$ instead. Wit 6.5.2 I was always able to save everything but flvs. Just interesting. I don't think QT is the end all or anything, just thought it was interesting that only in the past year or so this change was made.

BTW, I do not have a special website pro and have saved YT vids. But they are ridiculously pixelated and choppy it is not worth it.

Okay, maybe I need some dumbing down of the above. I'm interested in saving the world gymnastics championships (webcast by WCSN.com) to my computer. Does anyone know about saving video from this site?

BTW, the US women won team silver, Bieger won AA silver and floor ex silver, Sacramone won vault silver, Liukin won uneven bars silver, and Artemev won pommel horse bronze.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Okay, maybe I need some dumbing down of the above. I'm interested in saving the world gymnastics championships (webcast by WCSN.com) to my computer. Does anyone know about saving video from this site?
From the sounds of it you may need one of the special website programs RD was mentioning, but the one -
ETA (I only saved one from YT, mistake by me again in previous quote / post) to see if what I heard of worked - it was not all that good - worth it. And I was wrong to think that Macromedia would not classify as a "special" program.
- I had to go into my log and find the "suspect link" amongst the others (signified by the .flv on a url) paste it in the browser to get it alone in the browser then save it, and that is most likely due to the Macromedia player I do have installed even thought it came up in QT. So depending on the vid's type it may depend on the ability. I think the "Fumie on the plane with glasses" clip looked better at YT then alone after it was saved.

So again I think RD is correct in needing "something" to assist in saving these files. But the programs really aren't that expensive.

This webcast might be a little different to, I watched a CU game online and It came up in it's own window - a very small window - and the sound was out of sync.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The first three regionals are up (all the Pacific Regionals) on the site.

I started to watching some of the webcast (no way I could watch it all, so I'm selective.) So far I was quite impressed with Mirai Nagasu who won the Juniors event at the Southwestern Pacific Regional. I really enjoyed her short program.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you like Mirai Nagasu in Juniors, take a look at Ellie Kawamura in Novices at SWP. She is a lovely skater.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
South Atlantic Regionals videos are now available for free viewing at:
http://web.icenetwork.com/events/index.jsp?eventId=SAR2006

I especially recommend watching Kristine Musademba, who won Novice Ladies, and the deep Novice men's event, specifically both programs of the top 4 who will be at Eastern Sectionals -- Alexander Aiken, Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Scott Dyer and Alexander Zahradnicek -- as well as Michael Chau's programs (5th place overall), Allister Chang's and Zachary DeWulf's short programs, and Anthony Dang's 5th place free skate. Wish they all could have qualified for Easterns...

South Atlantic senior competitors included Derrick Delmore (1st), Shaun Rogers (2nd), Craig Ratterree (3rd), Traighe Rouse (4th), Jane Bugaeva (1st), Christine Zukowski (2nd), Megan Williams-Stewart (3rd), Jessica Lynn Richards (4th), Jamie Kim (5th) -- all of whom will be competing at Eastern Sectionals later this month except for Zukowski who has a bye to Nationals due to her Grand Prix in France.

Sherry Barnes won Junior Ladies and Adam Rippon won Junior Men (but he was a bit "off" here). The 2006 U.S. Novice pair bronze medalists, Tracy Tanovich/Michael Chau, won Novice Pairs, and the Novice Dance event should be worth watching.

This free preview period is supposed to last until around mid-November and then will convert to a pay subscription service for the 3 Sectional Championships. It is my understanding that none of the Sectionals will be webcast live this year (like Mids was last year).

I just watched Rippon's Free. Not nearly as good as in MidAtlantics. On the plus side he did keep up his stamina. That was the problem with the other guys. They have to work more on stamina.

How does one skip some skaters to get to the last four in Ladies?

Joe