Skate Test | Golden Skate

Skate Test

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
This Friday I will be taking my adult bronze mif test for the third time. I'm a little nervous because I haven't been practicing to good and my coach hasn't been giving me to much encouragement (pointing out all the bad things that the judges are going to mark me down on). I just want a little positive feedback so that I don't feel this is a total waste of my time. Everyone keeps telling me to not take it so seriously and to have fun. But it's hard to have fun when you think your skating stinks!

Clarice

Rinkside
Of course it's not a total waste of your time! Every test I've ever failed (and there have been plenty!) has taught me something. And you could pass! Surely your coach wouldn't let you out there if they thought you had no chance at all! Taking tests is no fun at all for me, but it sure feels good when they're over (sort of like the old joke: Why are you banging your head against that wall? Because it feels so good when I stop!). As far as the nerves go, the only thing that helps me is concentrating on my breathing. Whatever happens, you'll certainly do the best you can do at that moment, so celebrate whatever goes right, and step back and analyze whatever goes wrong so you can do better the next time. Good luck!!!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Why are you banging your head against that wall? Because it feels so good when I stop!
:laugh:
Oh ya that is what it feels like with the skating tests. I keep thinking why am I doing this!

I think the problem this week is that I have a eye infection that is not making me feel to good. And when I don't feel well I find it hard to be positive. Hopefully by Friday my eye will be a little better.

I'm just going to go out and skate my best and if the judges pass me then great if not, well back to the old practice board. I just want to pass because I am sick of practicing this test!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Heck, when I finally passed my Intermediate MIF, I hadn't practiced them in >1 month and I found out 22 hours before the test I was taking it! :eek: Because I didn't have time to obsess about it, it went really well! So, just be indifferent to it and it'll be good.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Wonderful for you! A girl at:agree: our club took a test five times before she passed and was still smiling brightly even when her coach was kidding her that she would have to retry again. She did really pass and now is working on the next one. She perservered and so did you so.......great job!

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
Congratulations! So are you going to pass the free skate test and go to Adult Nationals in Chicago next year?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
So are you going to pass the free skate test and go to Adult Nationals in Chicago next year?
I just started working on my free skate, so I have a lot of work to do. The music I am skating to is "Paint It Black" by the Rolling Stones. It's all guitar with the beginning starting slowly then getting fast. The fast part of the music is where it gets hard. I'm suppose to come out of a a sit spin right into my foot work and I am finding it VERY hard to not be dizzy. And the footwork is HARD! All that turning, edging and toe picking back and forth makes me feel like a beginner. Where the music is fast I become slow!:laugh: It's going to be awhile before I test the freeskate, so not sure about Adult Nationals.

terriskates

Rinkside
You're "Painting It Black" too!!!

I just started working on my free skate, so I have a lot of work to do. The music I am skating to is "Paint It Black" by the Rolling Stones. It's all guitar with the beginning starting slowly then getting fast. The fast part of the music is where it gets hard. I'm suppose to come out of a a sit spin right into my foot work and I am finding it VERY hard to not be dizzy. And the footwork is HARD! All that turning, edging and toe picking back and forth makes me feel like a beginner. Where the music is fast I become slow!:laugh: It's going to be awhile before I test the freeskate, so not sure about Adult Nationals.

I too have a technical that has "Paint It Black", but when the tempo picks up, goes into "Jumpin Jack Flash!" I've only competed it once, but will use it for my test.
Maybe AN '08 will have a "Rolling Stones" revival with it!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
How did you get use to the fast tempo. I find myself dizzy (probably because I start the fast part with a sitspin). It's the footwork out of the sitspin that I find it hard to steady myself. If I slow down my sitspin it isn't too bad, but I need to do something in a straight line before my mohawk back and forth sequence.

terriskates

Rinkside
The trick is (and I really have to practice this myself) is to do the program and at first, worry about the technique on elements as opposed to doing it right to the music. Soon enough, you will have the muscle memory to do the elements with the fast tempo.
So, is your RS program from the London Symphony CD?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
worry about the technique on elements as opposed to doing it right to the music.
that's good advice. I ususally don't put on the music when I am practicing, just go through the elements as best as I can. Then I'll put the music on and try and keep up with it. It's harder then it looks.

I got my music from these two guys, The Sahnas Brothers", that were playing in a mall and selling their CDs. They play gutair with a spanish latin mix. I thought they were pretty good, so I bought a couple of their CDs and started playing them at the rink during practice. My coach heard their version of "Paint It Black", and really liked it so she suggested I skate to it. She took the music home and told me where to cut it to make it 1min 40secs. My oldest son was nice enough to do the editing and burn the cd for me.