JGP given to the UK! | Golden Skate

JGP given to the UK!

antmanb

Record Breaker
Can I point you towards the British Threads on FSU or on AS where other British skating fans post the latest news, there's also a new magazine you might like to subscribe to: ;)

http://www.iskatepublications.com/

Thanks for the heads up! I've never really been one for FSU - i dabbled years ago and found myself a bit lost and missing alot of the points of threads (what the hell does "voidy" mean in relation to a skatnig program? :laugh: )! I gather its pretty time consuming with the number of posts on there too so stick to just one or two - its easier to keep up with!

What is AS?

Ant

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
That's fine Ant! ;) It's nice to chat on here too about any UK topics you raise. :clap:

Here is AS, a European based board with many forums, you could take a look at now and then. :)

http://absoluteskating.proboards37.com/index.cgi

They publish alot of interviews with European skaters and photos from comps, etc here:

http://www.absoluteskating.com/

Hope you find something of interest! :biggrin:

BTW do let me know what you think of the new magazine, as I haven't subscribed myself yet.

Ooh, back on topic - GREAT news about the JGP!!!!!!!!!! :agree:

Let's hope Euros or Worlds will follow in future years. :bow:

Since I've developed a strong interest in Juniors for the past few years, and I do like London, I just may save my coppers for the JGP in 2008.

Joe

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
LOL! Come over Joe! :clap:
But start saving your coppers now, cos it's a bit expensive over here. :frown:

It'll be up in Yorkshire, in the North of England, in a city called Sheffield. ;)

NISA is very pleased to announce that the ISU have awarded a Junior Grand Prix to be held at iceSheffield between 3rd-7th October 2007. The event will include all ISU Figure Skating disciplines and we look forward to working with both iceSheffield and Sheffield International Venues to deliver a quality event.

The award is the first step of NISA’s International Strategy of attracting World Class Figure Skating events to the UK and will hopefully lead to the staging of the European Championships in 2010.

antmanb

Record Breaker
That's fine Ant! ;) It's nice to chat on here too about any UK topics you raise. :clap:

Here is AS, a European based board with many forums, you could take a look at now and then. :)

http://absoluteskating.proboards37.com/index.cgi

They publish alot of interviews with European skaters and photos from comps, etc here:

http://www.absoluteskating.com/

Hope you find something of interest! :biggrin:

I have read many of the articles at absolute skating and have enjoyed them - i didn't realise there was a forum on that website - i may well dabble!

Just out on interest - i read on absolute skating that Jenna Mckorkell has relocated to Belgium to train. Is she going to be back at nationals this year?

In trawling the truly awful NISA website i came across information about an NJS competition being held at Deeside rink which seems to include most of the usual suspects from Nationals...unfotunately i've used up all my holiday days so i don't think i'll be able to make it but it would be interesting to see how the skaters programs are coming along.

BTW do let me know what you think of the new magazine, as I haven't subscribed myself yet.

Ooh, back on topic - GREAT news about the JGP!!!!!!!!!! :agree:

Let's hope Euros or Worlds will follow in future years. :bow:

I haven't subscribed yet but am hoping too in the near future so i'll keep you posted.

Fingers crossed that we get a European or Worlds again soon - i was too young when worlds came round in 1995 so am hoping for a top class championships coming to the UK so i can finally watch tnos of elite level live skating.

Ant

LOL! Come over Joe! :clap:
But start saving your coppers now, cos it's a bit expensive over here. :frown:

It'll be up in Yorkshire, in the North of England, in a city called Sheffield. ;)
Thanks for the info La Rhumba. Yorkshire sounds fine. I've been to London several times but never outside it.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Thanks for the info La Rhumba. Yorkshire sounds fine. I've been to London several times but never outside it.

Joe

London is beautiful but i would say that you haven't experienced true British charm til you've been up north! PLus the number of varying accents - it would be a treat for you!

Ant

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Just out on interest - i read on absolute skating that Jenna Mckorkell has relocated to Belgium to train. Is she going to be back at nationals this year?

Yes, as you know she got engaged to KVDP, so has changed coaches and is living over there now. I was pleased to read that Diana Goolsbee had done her choreography this season, as it needed an overhaul IMO. Her next comp is planned to be the Golden Spin in Zagreb, and she should have a bit of a challenge at the British this year with Vanessa James.

In trawling the truly awful NISA website i came across information about an NJS competition being held at Deeside rink which seems to include most of the usual suspects from Nationals...unfotunately i've used up all my holiday days so i don't think i'll be able to make it but it would be interesting to see how the skaters programs are coming along.

I know! Compare it to the brilliant USFSA site! That's a shame you won't be at Deeside, as you could've written some reports for us, perhaps you could post results if you hear of them before NISA puts them up, though to be fair, it's usually on the Monday or Tuesday after an event so far this season.

Fingers crossed that we get a European or Worlds again soon - i was too young when worlds came round in 1995 so am hoping for a top class championships coming to the UK so i can finally watch tnos of elite level live skating.

Without wishing to sound cruel, if Warsaw can host Euros 07, I see no reason why we shouldn't - other than politics!

Also Joe, you must try to visit all the regions and other nations within the UK next time you come over, the accents, the scenery, it's an experience! :agree:

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Sheffield, eh?

And they say it changes when the sun goes down around here? <--Sorry couldn't resist, I prefer Jarvis to Alex though. Though Alex was really nice to me when I met him.

I wish skating was bigger in the UK. I'm not sure how I'll survive when I'm living there without skating.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Yes, as you know she got engaged to KVDP, so has changed coaches and is living over there now. I was pleased to read that Diana Goolsbee had done her choreography this season, as it needed an overhaul IMO. Her next comp is planned to be the Golden Spin in Zagreb, and she should have a bit of a challenge at the British this year with Vanessa James.

I actually didn't know that she'd gotten engaged to Kevin VDP - she's done pretty well for herself really then :laugh:.

I liked Vanessa James at last years British - i liked her programs (i think she's kept her LP this year no?) but she still had that slightly apologetic lack of attack in her jumps except her great double axel from a LBI three turn entrance.

Any news on how Joanne Webber is getting along now she's working with Frank Carol and Ken Cogemi? I relly liked her at the British last year -no apologetic jumping there...in fact i think her and Jenna are the two lone senior ladies who actually attack their jumps. The junior winner last year Spohie also attacks her jumps, it just a shame that she doesn't have any triples. I've seen her attempt triple salchow and triple loop but not for a while now...

I know! Compare it to the brilliant USFSA site! That's a shame you won't be at Deeside, as you could've written some reports for us, perhaps you could post results if you hear of them before NISA puts them up, though to be fair, it's usually on the Monday or Tuesday after an event so far this season.

I will try to...first question (which deson't appear anywhere on the NISA website (except maybe the calendar of events whcih i didn't have time to check) when is the NJS competition at Deeside? I know its november time. I will try to find out results as best i can. I'd love to see some of the skating - i don't suppose any of it happens in the evenings does it?

Without wishing to sound cruel, if Warsaw can host Euros 07, I see no reason why we shouldn't - other than politics!

Fingers crossed! Wasn't there some talk of using of the Millenium Dome to host a figure skating event? For obvious reasons i'd perfer it to be closer to home Manchester Evening News arena would work well, hint hint!

Ant

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I've just checked the NISA site, and there's no announcement about the date yet :eek:hwell: but the List of Entries for Deeside is up, and it looks really exciting, I wish I could go myself! They'll eventually put the schedule up aswell, in PDF. ;)

Joanne Webber is listed to compete, I did read she made a good impression at at comp in LA a few weeks ago [details of her jumps on the Brit Thread on fsu posted by Sylvia]. Maybe some of the events will be in the evening Ant, and if you can go take a notebook and pen! :agree:

That ill fated Millenium Dome bid didn't come off, but the location has been redirected now to our two National Centres in Nottingham & Sheffield, so you're better off up Norf! :p

antmanb

Record Breaker
Unfortunately all of the competitions are held during the day and i won't be able to get to any of the competition. Though the good news appears to be that i might get to skate as normal on the thursday night session!

I'm just thankful that the British is in January now so otherwise i would have had to have missed some of the competition!

Ant

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Oh. :frown: Shame about Deeside Ant, but glad to hear you can make the British, would love to read your reports from there. :agree: