Ladies SP | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

rain

Record Breaker
Yeah, I haven't seen this yet at all, but Mao must have scored really big on something - she's a good eight points ahead of Meissner right now and that's a BIG lead going into the long. Looks like Ando is making a comeback this year.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not surprised about Mao or Miki. I told you guys to watch for the Ando Rebound. And remember it's not over till it's over. A LOT of ground can be made up in the Free. I'm not ready to count out Kimmie just yet, although I have the feeling Mao will wrap up this one (or maybe Miki can pull off an upset).

Bill508

Rinkside
YES! Mao and Miki! I love all the Japanese girls (skaters). Hope they can keep it together in the LP. I like Kimmie too & I wish her well but my heart has always been with Team Japan.

Last edited:

doug_log

On the Ice
I haven't had a chance to see Mao's SP yet, but Miki.... WOW. By far, her best performance. SPEED, POWER, EXPRESSION, and a NICE 3/3!

flying camel

Medalist
I just watched the ESPN coverage and I loved Emily's short. I thought it was fantastic. If she can just hit the jumps her marks should be right up there.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I liked Emily's short, too. It looks a little rough yet, which is to be expected at this point in the season, but I'm sure it will evolve and be "broken in" more by the time Nats roll around, at which point I think it will be absolutely terrific. Definitely has a lot of potential.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Talk at the rink was that Katy was skating in her OLD boots which were falling apart. She did not want to break in the new boots right before the competition. Poor Katy!

Talk at the rink was that Katy was skating in her OLD boots which were falling apart. She did not want to break in the new boots right before the competition. Poor Katy!
I have never understood why elite skaters don't plan these things in advance. Katy has known for months that she would be doing Skate America. Couldn't she have got some new boots a month ago and have them broken in by now?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
agree completely, MM. Maybe it was an unexpectant "falling apart" of the boots? That's teh only excuse I can think of.

I do not skate so I don't know if something like that can happen. Having seen how much she struggled, I think she would have had more luck with a new pair than the one she skated in.

and how about those Cardinals, ha??? :):rock:

flying camel

Medalist
The boot problem seems to be a big issue for elite skaters. I wonder if Katy is going to pull out of Skate Canada. What is the point of going when you know you are going to skate bad. Someone else could get that spot. I don't think her problems will be any better in a week.

gkelly

Record Breaker
mathman said:
Katy has known for months that she would be doing Skate America. Couldn't she have got some new boots a month ago and have them broken in by now?

Maybe it was an unexpectant "falling apart" of the boots? That's teh only excuse I can think of.

I do not skate so I don't know if something like that can happen. Having seen how much she struggled, I think she would have had more luck with a new pair than the one she skated in.

According to this article, http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4288560.html, she did get new boots in advance and was working on breaking them in but was also still using her old ones and planning to use them for the GPs until there was indeed an unexpectant falling apart of the old boots. Thus the need to use the new ones now.

In which case, the new boots will be a week more broken in for Skate Canada, which should be enough or close to it if she's skating several hours a day. So to the extent that her problems were boot related they should be less severe next week unless blisters have gotten infected or some such complication.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The boot problem seems to be a big issue for elite skaters. I wonder if Katy is going to pull out of Skate Canada. What is the point of going when you know you are going to skate bad. Someone else could get that spot. I don't think her problems will be any better in a week.

It's much too late to get someone else for that spot. I don't know whether you noticed it or not, but there were 4 unfilled spots at Skate America, some where more than a week's notice was given.

Stefan Lindemann's withdrawal from Skate Canada was made public more than a week ago, and he still has not been replaced. Aureli/Vaturi, a Dance team, withdrew almost two weeks ago, and no replacement as yet.