Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Qustion, Pairs

Qustion, Pairs

I can't find an answer out there???

What is the name of the move in Pairs when the Lady is dropped from over head, swinging head first toward the ice - of course missing by inches -skates straight up continuing the swing back upward and then set on her blades?

I called this a Death Drop, and now have seen that a flying sit spin of the Axel or Flying camel verity have dually note I am wrong. So even thought that seems such a fitting name for the move - pivot via Man (in front) holding Lady in the swing with her had being as close to the ice as possible ...baa blaa. Trying to justify my assumption that was it's name.

Anyhoo, What is the name of this move? I hope I at the very least say"...ooh yah." But Maybe I have never heard it. ???
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 10-28-2006 at 04:58 PM.

I think it's called a "head-banger."

http://www.skate.org/b+e/b+e-headbanger.gif

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/p...o/be_camp1.gif

ETA. Actually, this is a spin. If he just drops her on her head once, I think it's a "candle lift." (I mean, the dismount from the candle lift. ?)
    Last edited by Mathman; 10-28-2006 at 07:26 PM.

Ballroom Baby
    Isn't it also illegal in Oly-eligible competition? The spin, I mean, not the lift.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    It is called the head banger and very few pairs do this move. Brausseur and Eisler were famous for their breathtaking and daring moves - such as the head banger.

Here is a picture of Lloyd and Isabelle doing their famous move:

http://webwinds.www8.50megs.com/pairs/brasseur.htm

The top picture is the head banger. It is a dangerous move and is only used in professional shows and competitions.

On the Ice
    I think you're referring to the "swoop" exit from a lift. Watson and Oppegard were the first pair I recall doing this move, and Meno and Sand eventually added it to their programs. It is legal although it looks very dangerous.

Custom Title
    It's also called a bounce spin. It is illegal in eligible competition, but you used to see it quite a bit in professional competition. It always freeked me out!

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Isn't a "head-banger" an actual spin going around and around with the swooping, tho? I think just the "swoop" itself is called something differently (perhaps even the "swoop"). Seems to me there is another name for it, but it's not coming to me, either.

The headbanger is where the guy holds the gal by both feet and swings her around in a spin - usually with up and down motion so that her hair usually ends up brushing the ice.

I think the initial question was about the move that I've associated with Meno & Sand. He has her in an over head lift. He holds onto one arm and she clutches her legs around his arm as he drops her head 1st toward the ice. Then she opens up to land on her skate blade as in a normal dismount from a lift. It's a very dramatic move, but not as dangerous as it looks. Sorry, I don't know what it's called.

a clip

hold on still coming...

Sorry got sidetracked....

http://download.yousendit.com/9BB81C672F20D4DB
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 10-29-2006 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    The headbanger is where the guy holds the gal by both feet and swings her around in a spin - usually with up and down motion so that her hair usually ends up brushing the ice.

I think the initial question was about the move that I've associated with Meno & Sand. He has her in an over head lift. He holds onto one arm and she clutches her legs around his arm as he drops her head 1st toward the ice. Then she opens up to land on her skate blade as in a normal dismount from a lift. It's a very dramatic move, but not as dangerous as it looks. Sorry, I don't know what it's called.

Skater Girl
    I don't think it has any real name - it's a dismount.

Custom Title
    Abitol and Bernadis does it too.
    Here's a link
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...hlen/pod39.jpg
    It's breathtaking

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I don't think it has any real name - it's a dismount.
    I never thought about it that way, it is a dismount It might not have a name? Thanks Lanie. And MM I needed to go back and re-read posts because you edited yours and I think now after reading it might just be a dismount from the candle lift. Not that there is anything wrong with that - having to go re-read. I just need to be more on my toes. Besides I do it all the time too.

I was a little misleading in the the second paragraph of my first post so I can see why some thought I was talking about the Head Banger (which I also did not know had that name either).

Often I get in a discussion with one friend over and over about why they don't allow the back flip / back Summersault, type moves in comp. I do have to wonder if it is not allowed in comp, why is it aloud at all? Not a very p'lexing question, but sometimes I do wonder....
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 10-29-2006 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by c_e_ahlen View Post
    Abitol and Bernadis does it too.
    Here's a link
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...hlen/pod39.jpg
    It's breathtaking
    I really like that move for the wow factor for sure - I couldn't breath when Maria Petrova and Aleksei Tikhonov did it in a 05 Exsb,

Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post
    Often I get in a discussion with one friend over and over about why they don't allow the back flip / back Summersault, type moves in comp. I do have to wonder if it is not allowed in comp, why is it allowed at all? Not a very p'lexing question, but sometimes I do wonder....
    I think the reason that moves like this are not allowed in competition is because they are not really skating moves. That is, they do not involve anything going on between the edges of your skates and the ice (there is also the danger factor, considering that children will be attempting these same tricks.)

Another disallowed move is the Detroiter. This looks cool until your look at the man's feet and realize that he is not skating at all.

http://www.skate.org/h+l/h+l-detroiter.gif

BTW, the Detroiter was named after this prop-driven airplane:

http://www.air-and-space.com/2001082...20side%20l.jpg

The reason that such crowd-pleasing tricks are not disallowed in pro-type exhibitions is, who is going to do the disallowing? What would be the penalty, a -2.00 deduction on their next competition?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast