Pairs LP | Golden Skate

Pairs LP

76olympics

On the Ice
Wow, Naomi slid across the ice into the boards on the throw--but the jumps were very good! I think the pace of that music is pretty challenging for a long program and they could get worn out though.

The Siudeks' lifts were super ,but she doesn't finish her moves and looks tentative. I was glad that they had a good long program after the short.

Rena's LP costume is lovely, but I don't care for John's in either SP or LP. The vest? The coat? The necklace that doesn't go with either? He didn't heed my silent wish for a haircut--I think I need to concentrate harder! ( I won't even detail my despair over the wrist bands in the SP costume.) I did like their program -though you certainly tell it's the first major comp of the season. The jumps are always the nemesis for him, it seems....

Bring on Skate Canada!!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I agree that Siudeks were the highlight. However, I was also impressed by Langois & Hay. She actually smiles during performance! It was smooth and sweet. I also thought that they were the only ones (besides the Siudeks who have been together for over a decade!) who really related to each other. I did not see that from either of the American teams.

Very interesed to see Mukhortova & Trankov - though they were extremely cautious. Fun to see Dmitriev pacing the boards. If they stay together and with the same coach, they may really be something in a few years (though today Vise & Trent were actually more fun to watch).

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
I thought Langlois and Hay has the most interesting long program. It was definitely the best choeragraphed to the music. Its a shame they didn't skate it clean.

rain

Record Breaker
I thought Langlois and Hay has the most interesting long program. It was definitely the best choeragraphed to the music. Its a shame they didn't skate it clean.

I watched their LP on YouTube and yes, they definitely had the best choreography, but the sheer movie cheese of their musical selection is not a favourite of mine.

Also saw Nam and Leftheris and think they have some of the best potential the States has produced in pairs in awhile. Their short was particularly good. A couple of problems with their long, and you can see some weaknesses on some elements that I think come from them being a new pair. Death spiral is not particularly good, and the twist is quite weak in the height department. Their lifts, also, look laboured. They are not light and airbourne as lifts should look yet. Their LP is clearly front-loaded on the jumps, which is choreographically displeasing, and their final piece of music, perhaps the fastest piece in all of classical cannon, simply highlights how much the skaters have slowed since the beginning of their program. Not a good choice. Also, they were clearly struggling to keep up and the consequently the choreography kind of fell to pieces. Re-reading I realize this may sound overly critical, but actually it stems from my excitement to see a U.S. pair with such potential!

Mafke

Medalist
Re-reading I realize this may sound overly critical, but actually it stems from my excitement to see a U.S. pair with such potential!

Understood. The most fascinating skaters to critique are those with lots potential (but who haven't reached it yet).
They've got a ways to go, but I'm _very_ excited by this pair (judging by the little I've been able to see on youtube)

Having seen it on ESPN, I have to agree with Peter Carouthers about the effect of the CoP on pairs skating. They are trying to cram so many positions in that they lose the speed, line, flow -- everything that sets figure skating apart from, say, baseball.

The whole idea that something is better because it is harder -- I don't agree with that at all.

In baseball, if you hit a home run, that's good. It you hit a home run while standing on your head, that's way harder, but you don't get any more points for it, nor should you.

76olympics

On the Ice
I agree with you. I think the pair spiral sequences are starting to look repetitive and pasted onto the programs. They stick a leg up, they stick a leg back, and then they stick a leg to the side as they circle the rink. They aren't there for choreographical reasons and don't add to the spirit or style of the program - they are there for points--much like the Beillmans in the ladies' programs last year. I haven't watched the ladies yet this year. Is that aspect better?

Lanie

On the Ice
I'd think that the judges would be giving -GOE for badly done elements, including the spiral sequences and such for pairs and ladies, thus knocking down the value so it'd be kind of useless for them to be going for a Level 4 when they could, say, get a Level 2 or 3 with +GOE and get the same pts as a Level 4. I hope that made sense.

I LOVE THE SIUDEKS. :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carruthers and company chided the Suideks for being sloppy and underprepared, but failed to mention that they were notified of their SA invitation just one week ago, as a substitute for Dube/Davison. SA was a nonscoring event for the Siudeks, and their first regular GP assignment isn't until Cup of China, 2 weeks from now.

rain

Record Breaker
Having seen it on ESPN, I have to agree with Peter Carouthers about the effect of the CoP on pairs skating. They are trying to cram so many positions in that they lose the speed, line, flow -- everything that sets figure skating apart from, say, baseball.

The whole idea that something is better because it is harder -- I don't agree with that at all.

In baseball, if you hit a home run, that's good. It you hit a home run while standing on your head, that's way harder, but you don't get any more points for it, nor should you.

I have to say that I think Pairs is the discipline that has been most negatively effected by COP. I think in many of the others, COP has actually brought about more attention to quality of choreography etc. — with some notable problems, of course — but in pairs the choreography and personality has gone down the drain.

I don't think it helps, either, that real quality in pairs seems to have hit a lull following the retirements of B/S and S/P. Whether this is simply the result of a cycle, or at least partially the result of COP I'm not sure.

I also agree with some of the comments about the judging not taking off enough negative GOE points when hard and sloppy is taking over from quality.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think the effect on pairs hasn't quite been as bad as on dance.

What I don't like is the changing hands during death spiral. I know it adds to the difficulty, but it looks as if a skater's hand just got tired.

enlight78

Medalist
I actually like the switching of hands. It a good case to show on is versatile. A basketball players switch hands all the time. People don't think they're getting. It is sign of good dribbler. When someone always uses the same hand or side it is a weakness that a person can't perform with the other.