Ice dance FD notes | Golden Skate

Ice dance FD notes

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Those are just my notes and observations, nothing more.

Overall it was a great competition, most skaters were enjoyable and a few were really great.

Lefevre & Markov
They are gorgeous.
Remind me of Grushina and Goncharov – perhaps because of Arseni’s hair.
They are rather far apart and slow.
They are going for “passion” – of the kind Joe here hates.
Chantal appears very stiff.

McCurdy & Coreno
The only really boring performance.
She’s flexible.
Skating rather robotic, just getting from element to element.
They looked pleased, and were very nice when signing autographs afterwards.

Mikhailova & Sergeev
Nice speed, mature skating.
They have certain excitement and determination about their program.
Lyrical part was believable as well.
Not too fond of the program which has three parts that don’t really connect to each other.
They got 3 points in deductions for extended lifts. Arrgghh…
I think they have the potential to be really good.

Navarro & Bommentre
Laid back skating, doesn’t look forced.
Audience really into the performance.
To me, this seemed more like a showpiece.

Watanabe & Kido
First of Linichuk’s teams of the night
Hate their costume – his looks ridiculous, hers hides the beautiful moves of her body.
Complex program.
Look forced, lacks effortlessness and lightness.

Zaretskis
Deliberate movements.
Program too difficult for them. Interesting moves but looks forced.
She looked devastated.

Matthews & Zavozin
Note that even though they came 5th overall, they were 3d in FD
Gorgeous positions, expressive.
Morgan has a very flexible back, which she uses not only in show-off type moves, but also in moves in the fields and such.
Kept energy throughout the program.
Emotions without “passion”.
Expressive arms.
Line almost reminds one of Navka.

Denkova & Stavijski
Second of Linichuk’s teams of the night
White costumes. Don’t normally like too much nude fabric, but on Albena it works.
Innovative, unusual, breathless.
Don’t know if it will work on TV and with the judges.

Pechalat & Bourzat
Has Zazoie written all over it. Reminds me of Delobel & Schoenfelder.
Didn’t really draw me in as Mattews & Zavozin did.
Innovative moves, but not much soul in the skating; almost academic.
She cut her hand during performance, it was later on bleeding.

Gregory & Petukhov
Third of Linichuk’s teams of the night
He looks even more like Stavijski than he did before.
Pleasant to watch, too much “passion” IMHO.

Kerrs
Interesting. More emotions than Pechalat & Bourzat.
His error lost them some points.
Liked them a lot. Totally robbed on second mark.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just for fun, I made a list of which teams I liked best. This does not mean I think the ones on the top of my list should have placed higher, it’s just whom I liked.
  1. Denkova & Stavijski
  2. Matthews & Zavozin
  3. Kerr & Kerr
  4. Gregory & Petukhov
  5. Pechalat & Bourzat
  6. Zaretski & Zaretski
  7. Mikhailova & Sergeev
  8. Lefevre & Markov
  9. Navarro & Bommentre
  10. Watanabe & Kido
  11. McCurdy & Coreno

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I was wondering if the Kerrs had made errors and/or been ripped off. It seems inconceivable to me that they would finish behind Pechelat/Bourzat, unless P/B have improved their basic technique A GREAT DEAL since Torino.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thanks for the notes! :)

I LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE Melissa and Denis' FD! :) It's so good, and it's only going to get better... watching it on TV yesterday I turned to my aunt and said that they're going to blow the roof off the building come nationals!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I was wondering if the Kerrs had made errors and/or been ripped off. It seems inconceivable to me that they would finish behind Pechelat/Bourzat, unless P/B have improved their basic technique A GREAT DEAL since Torino.
Sinead infortunately made some errors on the straight line footwork. As a result, not only was it classed as level 2 only, but also received a -2 GoE. If they performed the footwork to a "0" GoE and did not get a 1 pt deduction on the extended lift, they would have actually beaten P&B by a little bit.

BTW, how on earth did Boucher choreograph a program with an illegal lift for P&B???!!!

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The folks at FSU loved Pechalat/Bourzat's FD and deemed it "voidy", but I thought it was meh. Supposedly this was the same kind of "concept" skating that DelShoes do, but DelShoes have far superior skating skills. The concept should not overshadow the skating, as it does in this program.

In addition, their costumes where horrid, the music ("Four Seasons", but not Vivaldi) unpleasing, and their showcase "lift" was declared illegal (it was almost like a headstand with most of her body way above shoulder level).

They not only got 0 points for the lift, but they were docked 2 points for the illegal element. When they saw their scores, and the illegal element deduction, Nathalie stalked out of the K&C, furious.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Actually, Pechelat/Bourzat remind me less of Deloebel/Schoenfelder than they do of a junior level team trying to be Anissina & Peizerat. This is based on their Ripped Stained and Tortured With Renegade Headband free dance from last season, however. Copying D/S is just a bad idea -- few have the physical ability to pull off what Isabelle & Olivier do.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you talking about their "Les Miz" FD from last year? They were trying to look authentic. France was impoverished at the time of the French Revolution, and the peasantry (whom they represented) wouldn't have had much besides the clothes they wore on their back. But at least their FD last year was based on reality, not on an abstraction that they didn't quite put over.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Oh, I know what they were trying to accomplish with that "look"; and had I not already had sat through about 10 seasons of Ripped and Shredded already, I may have cut them a little more slack in this department.....:biggrin:

Final Flight
gregory and petukhov has the same lift....with delobel and schoenfelder :
the guy in spread eagle and the lady held by the legs stretching backwards....
stolen?..same coach....?...coincidence?....
hope del.scho change it

I'm not on the Mathews/Zavozin bandwagon yet. He is much too intense in doing the correct steps which should be there from muscle memory. The two of them do separate dancing, imo. There is little connection between them except for the occasional glance with a superfiscial expression. Has anyone else noticed how thin she got?

The Kerrs should not be doing a number from a hollywood farce. What a waste that dance was. It would not even be a good exhibition number.

The French are a team in progress, and Greg/Pet do not look like Worlds podium yet.

The, of course, the is Den/Stav who were not only head and shoulders above the others but I would also add the waist. Exquisite dance team!!

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
I'm not an expert on ice-dance, but I know what pleases me ... and Melissa and Denis were awesome!!! I agree Tonichelle .... this FD was spectacular and should be out of this world by Nats. Whether they are Worlds podium worthy yet remains to be seen, but I have seen huge improvement in them from last year. I think the change of coaches has been very good for them.

I also loved the other American teams ... it's amazing to me that ice-dance has become one of my favorite disciplines now!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Thank you over all for all of your reviewing, it is wonderful!
Denkova & Stavijski
Second of Linichuk’s teams of the night
White costumes. Don’t normally like too much nude fabric, but on Albena it works.
Innovative, unusual, breathless.
Don’t know if it will work on TV and with the judges.

Gregory & Petukhov
Third of Linichuk’s teams of the night
He looks even more like Stavijski than he did before.
Pleasant to watch, too much “passion” IMHO.

Good comments about D&S, I must say I have never had my "switch put into the on position" quite like that program did - not even Ira or Fumie. It just was different then appreciating, going "gaagaa" over beauty, or admiring like I do with the ladies. Even when there is a "sexy style" routine from the ladies, my mind does not go to there, like "naughty." I would be ashamed of myself. It is one thing to think she is so georgous, but what D&S did was different then just that gorgeous romantic couple thing. That was new to my emotional gamut in FS. Watching the 2 of them and their movements, interaction - it was HOT sultry stuff! Could have had a PG-13 rating on it - and not because of the costumes, I think they were fine / normally reveling. That was just so sensual with the "sinful theme" aspect in the choreography.......:love: but I see what you mean about the Judges and Audience. Just kind of on the adult theme side for some I am sure. But I love them for giving me a new emotion in Ice Dance. I don't mind at all! Kinda like Ballroom can be - theme wise.

As for M&D, I would have to say I think Melissa shined that pro, she really had me cheering with all of the passion I could see in her pro. Yep it is two, but she just stood out as incredible in the FD. JMO It was funny because when I heard about Johnny designing his outfit, I just got done thinking of it looking a little like Johnny, but I said that if it would have had a blended / faded belt line.:laugh:

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not on the Mathews/Zavozin bandwagon yet. He is much too intense in doing the correct steps which should be there from muscle memory. The two of them do separate dancing, imo. There is little connection between them except for the occasional glance with a superfiscial expression.

They are aware of the need to have greater interaction; they already mentioned this in an interview. They are pleased with the progress they are making so far, but feel there is still a way to go before the dance is the way they want it. This is still the early season when they are working on absorbing heir choreography, which is extremely difficult and complex. As the season goes on, they will be far more into the musical expression and personal interaction.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Melissa and Denis were my favorite couple in the FD. They have improved so much and the choreogaphy, music, and costuming suits them very well. I am amazed at how polished this program is already, three months before Nationals. They are already past the point of having to concentrate on the individual steps and can present the routine as a complete program from both a technical and emotional viewpoint. I love their passion and confidence and attack that they have now. She really is the star of the program, in past years she sometimes looked like she was concentrating so hard on the steps that she couldn't really perform with emotion. Now, she is so strong and sure of her every move and she just absolutely glows! Her layback position in their spin is absolutely gorgeous, I think its the best dance spin I've ever seen. She hits beautiful positions in the lifts (I never knew she was so flexible!) and Denis keeps them all moving smoothly and quickly. I love the move at the end where he drags her between his legs and flips her around. Most of all I love the energy and speed and passion that they carry right through to the very end. They barely even look out of breath after four minutes! They look fabulous and absolutely should challenge B&A for the top spot at Nationals.

I appreciated the fun, lighthearted performance of the French team, but its just not my kind of program. They certainly committed to the theme and carried it throughout the piece, but it didn't WOW me. I think they look like Whoo's, from the Grinch that Stole Christmas. Not sure if that is a good thing.

Denkova and Staviski were incredible. They showed why they are the current world champions. While from a pure entertainment point of view I don't quite enjoy this program as much as that of Gregory & Petukhov, it is technically brilliant and just plain wonderful skating.

Morgan and Max did nothing for me. Less than nothing, really. She has gorgeous stretch and turnout and toepoint and all that, but I don't find them the least bit interesting. They really seemed to lack the power and speed of the top two teams. He is still in the phase where he is thinking too much all through the performance and can't really let himself go. I loved this music for Irina Slutskaya but I don't think it was a great choice for them. I do appreciate her lightness across the ice and her impeccable posture.

Gericho2004

Rinkside
Belbin and Agosto are America's best hope for a world title in 2007. If they skate three clean dances at Nationals, they will win.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am sure that B/A at Nationals will be the most dazzling, whether they are completely clean or not.

G/P have improved a lot under their new coaching. They are no longer the way they used to be---bathroom break time---but not at all compelling, as B/A are. G/P don't have the charisma and personality of B/A, and the sad fact is they never will have it.

I think Matthews/Zavozin do have tremendous potential. They are already better than G/P were two years ago, and two years ago M/Z were 17 and 19. I am amazed that people expect their dances to be fully developed in the first competition of the season, especially when Morgan spent the first part of the summer recovering from a spinal fracture.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
In all the years I've been watching, B&A have yet to dazzle me. She irks me. No toe point or turn out or stretched leg lines, she's just sloppy. And frantic.

IMHO G&P have brought out a lot of personality this year. I don't see how Belbin and her perma-grin are any more "charismatic" than G&P. I'll take Melissa and Denis anyday, I think they have a wonderful presence on the ice this year. Certainly, they present a more mature image than B&A.

rain

Record Breaker
In all the years I've been watching, B&A have yet to dazzle me. She irks me. No toe point or turn out or stretched leg lines, she's just sloppy. And frantic.

IMHO G&P have brought out a lot of personality this year. I don't see how Belbin and her perma-grin are any more "charismatic" than G&P. I'll take Melissa and Denis anyday, I think they have a wonderful presence on the ice this year. Certainly, they present a more mature image than B&A.

No matter what anyone thinks about the relative merits of the two teams, B/A are the highest-ranking internationally established team and they will be top of the podium at their own nationals. Period. The USFSA would never risk dropping them down in the standings at nationals, thereby giving an excuse for the international panel to do the same.