Alban Preaubert | Golden Skate

Alban Preaubert

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I find him him very amusing and quick on his feet. I don't care if his teeth are crooked, he's a guy with potential. Is there anyone who know anything else about him? I haven't seen him until Skate America, so I have no idea of his history? :)

He's a tall kid. It was amusing to see him meandering around the rotunda after his 3rd place finish signing autographs with a big crooked teeth smile. He seems to be a very likeable person.

Joe

Arianne

On the Ice
And he's only France's number 3 guy. Maybe he will move up at his nationals this year.

I really enjoy his skating!

And he's only France's number 3 guy. Maybe he will move up at his nationals this year.
I really enjoy his skating!
Do you really think Ponsero is better? I will not be seeing any more GPs this year and I doubt he will be shown on TV unless he places and even that is not certain.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Was I the only one to hear Kurt say he skates like a Scarecrow?
Likely due to his Halloween experience. I think it must have been his comment, but I did see a little more Ray Bolger in Alban then I did in Kurt's scarecrow in the Halloween spec.

I think he spent a lot of time sideways not seeming to get the edges to really work in his favor, more like the skates were guiding the skater than skater guiding the skates. I don't mean that negative either, just something that is noticeable about him. And for as energetic he is, he doesn't seem to spastic, less then Plushy's Oly LP IMO.

I love how alive he skates, incredible energy. And some people love crooked teeth:biggrin:

Last edited:
If you think about the GP Final. More than likely it will be Oda, Lysacek, Weir, Buttle, Sandhu, Li, Lambiel, Joubert, and Takahashi. I don't think Preaubert , Ponsero, or Contesti will be among the chosen.

Among the not so obvious: the 3 Frenchmen, Klimkin, Griazev, Uspenski, Dobrin, Chiper.

How many in the Final? I've listed 9 as quite possible and 8 distant maybes.

Joe

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
If you think about the GP Final. More than likely it will be Oda, Lysacek, Weir, Buttle, Sandhu, Li, Lambiel, Joubert, and Takahashi. I don't think Preaubert , Ponsero, or Contesti will be among the chosen.

Joe

Maybe not this season, but he could be well on his way in the next. :)

Viva la France!

At French Nationals last year the order of finish was

Joubert
Contesti
Preaubert
Dambiel
Ponsero

However, Dambiel's coach had more political clout than Contesti's, so the French Federation sent Dambiel to the Olympics instead of Contesti or Preaubert. Contesti sued in the French courts, there was some sort of skate-off (which I believe Contesti also won), etc., etc., but to no avail.

In fact, the French team for Euros was Joubert (3rd), Dambier (4th) and Preaubert (6th). At the Olys it was Joubert and Dambier (6th and 19th) and at Worlds, Joubert and Preaubert (2nd and 8th).

So Contesti got mad and, according to a little feature in this month's Spotlight on Skating magazine, he has now quit the French federation and announced that he will skate for Monaco in the 2007-2008 season, after sitting out this year.

Dambier retired.

Joubert is doing 007 again.

Go Alban!

PS. Hey, wait a minute. Contesti must have made up with the French Federation after all. He's listed to represent France at the Eric Bompard Trophy.

Does anyone know the latest scoop?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Joubert is doing 007 again.

Go Alban!

Oh no,:laugh:

Really if he looses the 007 and gun holster (just do some martial arts move or something) it would be pretty good. Debi got the point across with the "title" song - for your eyes only - and people understood (but she did use a gun.). I think if you had to explain what the music was to anyone, they would not know who 007 is anyway.

And Kurt's protege, Evan Lysacek, doesn't? :p
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I think Kurt is jealous :laugh:

BOT, I've been trying to find about a little more about Alban, and his site is down right now. Maybe they heard the folks at GS were having some questions and they wanted get in the updates.:laugh:

Last edited:
Let's face it. Joubert is a limited performer. However, his very high elevated jumps will suffice for his PCS scores.

I still think Ponsero will skate his heart out to get the recognition that Preaubert is getting. That sort of thing makes figure skating more interesting. Just think:

Joubert - Lambiel
Preaubert - Ponsero
Buttle - Sandhu
Weir - Lysacek
Griazev - Dobrin
Takahashi - Oda

Trust me. If a skater doesn't win a medal, he does not want his compatriot to win won either. Too much attention for the winner. The Ladies are just as involved.

Joe

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Thanks for the info, Math! :)

Joesitz-Bring on the rivalry! :) I love it! :) Hopefully, it means better skating. :yes:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Viva la France!

At French Nationals last year the order of finish was

Joubert
Contesti
Preaubert
Dambiel
Ponsero

However, Dambiel's coach had more political clout than Contesti's, so the French Federation sent Dambiel to the Olympics instead of Contesti or Preaubert. Contesti sued in the French courts, there was some sort of skate-off (which I believe Contesti also won), etc., etc., but to no avail.

In fact, the French team for Euros was Joubert (3rd), Dambier (4th) and Preaubert (6th). At the Olys it was Joubert and Dambier (6th and 19th) and at Worlds, Joubert and Preaubert (2nd and 8th).

So Contesti got mad and, according to a little feature in this month's Spotlight on Skating magazine, he has now quit the French federation and announced that he will skate for Monaco in the 2007-2008 season, after sitting out this year.

Sound like th erotten French federation p to their usual tricks...more politics than sense - they managed to screw Joubert up a good way to lead him to Bobekian coach changes and problems...let's hope Joubert is back on track and that Contesti beats ll of them skating for Monaco just to show the french federation what a mistake they made!

Dambier retired.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Dambier is one skater that i really loved. HE struggled last season but he had a couple of seasons where he was truly under-marked and where Pluschenko's overscoring kept him off the podium where it should have been Pluschenko off the podium.

I will really miss his skating.

Ant

FauveNik

Rinkside
To my knowedge, Monaco (S.A.S le Prince Albert de Monaco) has not replied.
It is not so easy to obtain Monégasque citizenship, even if it is just used for skating he will have it and to have that citizenship could imply he would like to use it for other then skating reasons. Banking comes to mind so the French gov cant tax him if he wins a lot.
Fauve