Are Galler-Rabinowitz and Mitchell still competing? | Golden Skate

Are Galler-Rabinowitz and Mitchell still competing?

Dyan

On the Ice
Last season both members of G/R&M indicated that they were focusing on furthering their educations this season. They didn't officially retire as one article from last year quoted them as saying that because they would still be young enough they hadn't ruled out returning to competition after they had both graduated.

Interesting article and thread. Thanks, Hockeyfan.

Wow, the French Federation sure spends a lot of time in court. This really is the old attitude under which the Soviet Union justified not letting scientists, etc., leave the country. We invested all this money in educating and training you, now if you leave you are robbing the state.

I assume that Loren could obtain Israeli citizenship pretty easily if she wanted to (dual citixenship).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interestingly, Loren did not go to Harvard as she indicated she would after Nationals last year. My understanding is that she is in Israel.

Aside from the politics of the team, I thought they were the only couple in the entire last year that understood latin dancing,.

They went beyond doing Polka steps shaking their rears as so many couples did.

Joe

dwiggin3

Final Flight
There was a post on FSU by Theo with a translation of an article in the French press which said that Jordi Rozot filed litigation to be release from the French Federation, so that he and Loren Galler-Rabinowitz could form a team to skate for Israel.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43429

What ties did/does she have to Israel? I don't want to assume anything just by her last name.

I guess this irks me. Even if she has a rightfull claim to Israeli citizenship, I just still can't get over the stink her camp put out last year regarding Belbin/Agosto...they were such poor sports about it...assuming that they would make the team. They weren't even close!!! But then again, if she has a rightfull claim to citizenship, then I guess if thier federation wants to finance her skating , then so beit. :mad: :mad:

Okay, flame away...but I'm ducking for cover to get coffee and try and get out of my sour mood.

Darby

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was David Mitchell's mother who made the stink. Loren and her family had nothing to do with Mama Mitchell's letter writing campaign.

Loren would automatically qualify for Israeli citizenship because she is Jewish. Her maternal grandmother, who died just before the Olympics, was a survivor of the WW2 concentration camps.

It was David Mitchell's mother who made the stink. Loren and her family had nothing to do with Mama Mitchell's letter writing campaign.
I don't remember anything about the Galler family as objecting to the actions of the Miller family. So apparently, it was ok for Mama Mitchell to do her thing as far as Gller Rabinowitz was concerned.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If they had objected, it would have made the controversy a lot worse, and would have created tension between David and Loren. The Gallers and Rabinowitzes stayed out of it, and that was probably the best move.

Oh and by the way it was Mrs. MITCHELL (not Miller) who masterminded the letter writing campaign. I'm not sure even her husband Dr. Mitchell approved of what she did.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
David didn't even know about the letter until after the fact. (My coach used to train and compete with them and knows them pretty well, as does my coworker.)

</dead-horse beating>

I'll have to ask around at work and see what anyone's heard about her skating for Israel. If she's Jewish (and I think she is, given her late grandmother was a Holocaust survivor) then by right of return I think she can become an Israeli citizen fairly easily.