Wednesday Practices - Pairs | Golden Skate

Wednesday Practices - Pairs

Rosaleen

Medalist
PLEASE NOTE: These reports are copyright of Golden Skate and are not to be copied to other forums. Feel free to link to the forum. Thank you

I've been busy getting organized and such so didn't get to see a full practise until the Canadian pairs.

here's what I saw:

Wed Pairs practise - Group 2 - the Canadians

Marcoux/Buntin : short pgm / sbs 3toes weren’t really pretty but I’d class them as clean (just). Music is very familiar jazzy blues that the name of is on the tip of my tongue. Thr 3sal?(didn’t see the take off) bit pitched forward but clean. It’s a nice program for them and they sell it well. Music is Cherry Pink and Apple Blosssom White

Miller/Moram: thr 3sal with stepout / intentionally skated through the twist / sbs 3t - nicely done if a bit far apart / nice lift - covered lots of ice & fast / sbs spins got very slow and out of end at the end / thr 3loop is very nice / obviously they’re doing their long program / very nice lift with back hand to hand entrance and dropout / there isn’t much in the way of position changes in their lifts, but the speed is excellent and the positions she does are very good - nice extention on them/

Putnam / Wirta: short pgm / Sing, sing, sing / very spinny 3twist that didn’t get much height and not sure if fully rotated / lift has a number of positions but I’m not sure if the speed was very good / sbs 3sals - she doubled then doubled the throw - think it was a loop, again didn’t see the takeoff. (my 1st event of the seasons and my eyes are quite seeing things fast enough yet) spiral seq is nice - facing each other in ½ beil with change of edge & direction in position - positions matched really well.

Random notes after run-throughs
Mar/Bun just did sbs 2axels that were perfectly matched - really nice, Put/Wir nice throw 3 sal / put/wir tried some more sbs jumps but all the ones I saw either or both of them doubled / just saw one where both did 3sals but she 2footed / Craig just fell during sbs ftwrk and then faked doing a backflip - it was cute / they’re giving it another try - this time clean - it’s nice sequence - I like the variation in it / 1 minute left in the practise and Put/Wir just landed a nice sbs 3s2t sequence and then sbs 2a /

By the way, all 3 teams are in black and for the most part seemed to all be having a pretty good practise

Last edited:

Rosaleen

Medalist
Group 3 - the Americans and Swedes

Pylkina/Hogner: free pgm / ISU music info is from last year so I don’t think it’s correct / from the opening (which is great) I get the impression that it’s Draculaish - dramatic opening music & chor / music really lightened up for the sbs ftwrk seq that I was quite enjoying until he fell and they didn’t finish it / in spite of the size difference their positions match very well / they skated through most of the jumps and lifts / I’ve liked this team since I 1st saw them I think it was at the JGP in Montreal last year - not sure / Some great chor to end the program

After their run-through they were working on sbs 3sals and she was really struggling with them they wre also struggling with the throws. On the solo 3s she doesn’t see to be getting the take-off right and isn’t straight in the air and is only getting about 2-1/2 revs. Just saw a better one - almost had full revs but landed heavily on 2 feet - not getting her free foot out in time - she’s really working on them though - she must have tried a dozen of them - like she was determined to try and get a clean one in on this practise/

Inoue / Baldwin: free pgm / I like the opening chor - skated through sbs jumps / 2tw isn’t very high - death spiral starts out very nice in traditional pos but got a bit sloppy after the change of pivot / they then left out a bunch - over talking to coach and picked it up at a slower melodic section of the music for a lift / spirals into throw 3l - clean then sbs 2a turns 2a - timing was out but jumps were clean / final lift into closing pose /

After they did some thr 3a, but I haven’t seen a clean one yet and didn’t see one during the practise

Moyle/Seitz - not sure which pgm yet / this is the 1st time I remember seeing this team / sbs 2a were way out of sync and she had trouble with it not sure about him / thr 3l is very nice / sbs spins are quite good - pos changes matched music on front half but the music was building on the back and they were slowing down /

Vise / Trent: free pgm / Les Mis / 2twist with her arms overhead is very nice (I’d rather see a very nice 2tw than a poor 3tw) nice lift with him swinging her up from a horizontal pos between his legs (so hard to describe, but looks great) - only fault is that he slowed down quite a bit towards the end of the lift / thr 3sal fell /
I like the way the ftwrk seq is chor’d to the music / she has great pos in the death spiral /

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
Vise / Trent: free pgm ... thr 3sal fell

Actually, this was probably their 4sal attempt. That is what they were trying at Skate America. They had issues with it most of the time and I only saw them land 1 or 2 clean ones.

Thank you very much for the report!