Lambiel most underscored mens singles skater ever? | Golden Skate

Lambiel most underscored mens singles skater ever?

Stephane Lambiel-most underscored mens singles skater ever?

• Total voters

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I can think of some more likely candidates:

Todd Eldridge
Matt Savoie
Paul Wylie
Brian Orser

Well I thought Eldredge was very underscored from 1993-2001 as well I thought he was ripped off in some competitions vs Elvis Stojko imparticular so I agree on him.

Matt Savoie I also think was undermined in the U.S for many years and should have been on the U.S World team many more times before he was.

Paul Wylie I do not think was underscored, except for the 1990 Nationals where he should have won over Eldredge. Other then that no. I dont believe he deserved the 92 Olympics as some think since Petrenko hit some harder jumps,
and Wylie also had some mistakes contrary to what some seem to think.

I dont believe Orser was underscored. He lost placing in 83-84 since his compulsory figures were not good enough, he was outskated by Fadeev at the 85 Worlds despite being favored, he choked at the 86 Worlds which Boitano won, he won the 87 Worlds, and he faltered slightly enough to lose the 88 Olympics to an inspired Boitano, then bombed the short program to lose the 88 Worlds. Not underscored at all.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Sometimes you really can carry on and on about Lambiel - he's won two world gold medals for crying out loud - of course he's not undermarked...the skaters who are undermarked are the one who lose titles because they were undermarked surely?

dutchherder

Final Flight
I guess my thing with Lambiel is not that I don't think he's a good skater (because I do), it's just that I don't really *enjoy* watching him. I can't really say why, but he just really doesn't do it for me. I don't know; maybe it's the costumes. :scratch: ;)

amber68

On the Ice
Any success he has ever had comes inspite of the judges.

Huh???? How and when was Lambiel so undermarked? Perhaps you should give us some examples . Was it at Worlds in Moscow when, yes, he had quads, but otherwise he barely landed 5 triples in the free skate (no 3A, lutz and flip - If my memory serves me well) ? Was it at Worlds last year when he had a nice LP but the SP was messy as usual? Was it at Oly when he managed to get silver, despite several mistakes (he must be the the first Oly medallist in ages who dosen't have a 3A).The only time you can say he was undermarked was in Dortmund 2004 when he deserved the bronze medal.
He gets pretty good scores considering his MIA 3A and his never-perfect programs.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I guess my thing with Lambiel is not that I don't think he's a good skater (because I do), it's just that I don't really *enjoy* watching him. I can't really say why, but he just really doesn't do it for me. I don't know; maybe it's the costumes. :scratch: ;)

That's alittle how i feel about Lambiel - and its not the costumes - i was amused by last years hybrid animal costume...perhaps instead of four seasons for a costume he went for four animals?!

But its only his competitive skating that leaves me cold - his exhibition skating i love. so iblame the scoring system for me not liking his programs!

Ant

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Huh???? How and when was Lambiel so undermarked? Perhaps you should give us some examples . Was it at Worlds in Moscow when, yes, he had quads, but otherwise he barely landed 5 triples in the free skate (no 3A, lutz and flip - If my memory serves me well) ? Was it at Worlds last year when he had a nice LP but the SP was messy as usual? Was it at Oly when he managed to get silver, despite several mistakes (he must be the the first Oly medallist in ages who dosen't have a 3A).The only time you can say he was undermarked was in Dortmund 2004 when he deserved the bronze medal. He gets pretty good scores considering his MIA 3A and his never-perfect programs.

His spins and PCS scores are too low. He scores lower on spins then much weaker spinners like Plushenko, Lysacek, and Oda which is a joke. His PCS are also too low for the quality of his skating. His footwork scores should be higher at times too.

As for times he deserved a higher placing, 2004 Worlds for sure, other then that he got the placing he deserved but lower scores then he deserved despite the placing.

He was always underscored in 2001-2003 when I saw him, atleast since 2004 he almost always gets the placing he deserves but lower scores then he deserves.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
I personally think he's a little over scored (just a bit) but, I think that's just b/c of how screwed up CoP is. He's no where near as over scored as Joubert though IMO, not even close.

SevenCostanza

Spectator
I don't think Lambiel is the most underscored mens skater ever. The first underscored mens skater ever that came to my mind was Alexander Abt