Men - Short Program | Golden Skate

Men - Short Program

Rosaleen

Medalist
Geoffry Varner USA - white shirt shading to royal blue at waist - music is Zorba’s Dance /
Crowd starts clapping right off with the familiar opening bars and some nice movement by him / 3z3t just managed to hang on to the toe / 2a / O ftwrk is fun and in character of the music / cam nice sit ch, etc - very nice spin / sit ch sit is quite good too - very well centered - not quite as fast as the one in his combo / ftwrk into 3f / huge death drop started spin good but lost it a little bit / strt ftwrk was going really well - looks like he got too much into it and lost focus a bit near the end and tripped but didn’t fall / I think that it was a good selection of music for him - he’s able to show some personality in the program / T 30.70 C 26.45 Tot 57.15

Rosaleen

Medalist
Shawn Sawyer CAN black vest & pants with gold design on vest white shirt - The Big One
3f3t - I think a tiny bit of 2ft on the flip / 3a 2ft but rotated / O ftwrkk is really playing with the music - good / ftwrk 3z went up crooked fell on his butt / cam ch cam is is usual great spin / strt ftwrk is good & with music / spreadeagle bent leg into death drop is excellent / combo spin with all his great pos into closing pose / T 36.40 C 31.35 Ded 10.00 Tot 66.75

Rosaleen

Medalist
Tomas Verner CZE black uneck catsuit with bright light pink shirt & lime green ribbon on one shoulder - Tocatta Gugue / 3f3t is lovely / 3a leaning and free foot down very quick but didn’t step out of it - how he managed to land it as clean as he did is amazing / 3f / sit ch sit / strt ftwrk is good / huge flying forward sit - great tuck / O ftwrk is right with music and inteprets it well / back cam start the combo spin - nice pos very good speed / T 41.30 C 30 Tot 71.30 new PB by 3 points

Rosaleen

Medalist
Vaughn Chipeur CAN black with bronze glitter design weaving across shoulder & back / Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters is the music ??? / beautiful 3a / 3f2t / O ftwrk is expressing the heavy fast music / now the music has slowed / back cam starts the combo spin - needs to extend the free foot more in the camel pos - his sit is excellent / great 3z / flysit / strt ftwrk and the crowd is clapping - expresses the music but might be a little empty / back sit starts a very good sit spin / that was a nice debut on Senior Grand prix / T 37.84 C 29.40 Tot 67.24 currently 2nd

Rosaleen

Medalist
Sergei Voronov RUS maroon velvet on top with white at the front & black pants / Rach #2 / 3f2t / 3a turnout but stayed on one foot / cam ch cam with lovely extension ending in donut / 3l landed on toepick / fktsut wutg varuatuibs us kiw ^ fast . IO ftwrk has the ‘stuff’ in it but it feels like he’s ticking off the stuff to get the levels / combo spin is good - he has excellent spin pos / strt ftwrk is ok / T 30.80 C 27.55 Tot 58.35 new PB currently 4th

Rosaleen

Medalist
Stephane Lambiel SWI - black with beige flowing overshirt - selection by Christine Lautebrug
Some neat chor to the opening bars / 2a - didn’t look right going up / 4t fell - rotated it I think though / S ftwrk is lovely - right with music & uses his whole body / 3z right from ftwrk / sit ch sit with twisted pos variations / diag step are complex with level variations / buttfly back sit with great variations / missed his pick going into camel on combo spin and splatted on his stomach then did the spin - I don’t know what the rules are for that now as to whether it will be called as an extra element or not / T 30.40 C 36.05 Ded 2.0 Tot 64.45 currently 4th

Rosaleen

Medalist
Yannick Ponsero FRA black with bit of black glitter down legs - in the mood for love
3a little forward on landing but nice anyway / 4t turnout 2t / sorry missed the spin checking out the combo because it looked to me like a sal but the planned notes say a toe / 3z both hands down / spin ? / O ftwrk is ok / back cam with good etension to bent leg to catch foot - nice spin / strt ftwrk flows well with music / T 36.50 C 32.55 Tot 69.05 new PB Currently 2nd

Rosaleen

Medalist
Johnny Weir USA lback with one side of body in white with black lines on it - King of Chess /
Some good opening moves / 3a is good / but the music to me is Tocatta & Fugue / 3z3t bit of 2ft on the lutz I’m sure / sit ch sit has great pos & centered - not as fast as I think I’ve seen from him / O ftwrk is good but he doesn’t seem to be really into it / 3f / combo spin was really slow and his positions weren’t as clean as they usually are / flysit is very good - best of the spins / T 40.58 C 35.70 Tot 76.28 Currently 1st

Rosaleen

Medalist
Daisuke Takahashi JPN Dark blue with shades of light blue chiffon - Tchaikovski Violin Concerto
Gentle music on opening and suitable moves - now the music builds 3f3t easy as pie / 3a leaning in air but he hung on to the landing / 3z / O ftwrk is right with music (and I love this music) / sit ch sit / flysit / strt ftwrk is timed just right to the music and is building to the end / combo spin with layback the headless / very good program - crowd was into it and a partial standing O / T 41.70 C 37.10 Tot 78.80 new PB currently 1st

Rosaleen

Medalist
Jamal Othman SWI Danse Macabre black with white on one side of top ruffle around U neck / 3z2t / 3f / duge death drop into good sit / diag ftwrk arms flail a little too much for me (still - always has been one of my critisims of his skating) / 2a / O ftwrk is ok / combo spin has a gorgeous catch knee stretched position - hard to describe but it’s one of his best features / T 30.40 C 2;6.90 ded 1.00 Tot 56.30 new PB

Rosaleen

Medalist
Marc Andre Craig CAN Fushia shirt with dark design dark blue pants / music is Sway / 3a low on landing but the best one I’ve seen from him all week / 3f3t and Brian O is cheering at the boards for him / combo spin - cam pos maybe a bit weak but some of his upright variations are great / ftwrk 3z bit low on landing but clean / music changes now for S ftwrk that is with the music & inventive / sit ch sit spin is good / and into the strt ftwrk again is very well done & musical / fly sit spin to end the program / He probably skated that program as well as he could - great timing to pull off what was probably the best 3a he’s done this week / T 34.18 C 27.15 Tot 61.33 currently 8th

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks so much for the report!!!

I'm sorry to read that Stephane, well, splatted...hope he is not injured (again). Seems like Weir had a pretty good outing (could be better -- and where is that quad - triple combo we see in pratice????). I can't wait to see this program, and can't wait to see Takahashi -- i just love how he moves his body, and he is so smoothe and has such beautiful arms!!

blackcat

Spectator
Thanks for the details - I saw the scores and was wondering what happened to Lambiel, and what the difference between Weir and Takahashi was. Good to know.

Thanks for joining us, Blackcat. Welcome to the forum! :agree:

Good grief, Lambiel's in seventh?! He can still make the podium, though, if he nails the long program.

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
Thanks for the play by play. Looks like the Japanese may take gold in Skate Canada too.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you for the reports. Lambiel in 7th place. I hope he is o.k. and not injured.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the report, Rosaleen!!!

The PCS scores are rather interesting. It looks that Weir´s programme was third in everything else but performance/execution (second). Lambiel was second in total PCS.

I´m very happy for Takahashi´s performance in short programme.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
If Lambiel is only able to pull up to 3rd place, because of how far behind he is of Weir and Takahashi, he will be under pressure at his other GP event as he will have to win it to reach the final.