Need Some Advice about Work | Golden Skate

Need Some Advice about Work

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So I've been dealing with a lot of problems lately at work. I was originally hired as part time core staff, meaning I got 20-25 hours a week. Because I'm going to class I don't want to get overwhelmed with time. At a portrait studio there isn't enough down time to get homework done. Nevermind the fact that most of the homework I have this semester requires research at the museum.

Well lately I've been getting 30+ hours SCHEDULED weekly, and of that I get at least 2 to three hours of overtime. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't complain, but this is a high energy/stress kind of job and top it off with going to school and it's just not working out.

After talking to my boss the first time a co-worker and I were put in for raises. It was at least somewhat of a way to get compensated for the extra stuff we were getting put on us and all that, but she said that she still would keep me at no more than 25 hours...

Well, it's been a month and a half, and not only have I NOT gotten my raise, I haven't gotten the hours I need. My Hours have increased, and so I went to talk with her ON MONDAY. BEFORE SHE SCHEDULED for this coming week. After bombing my mid-term there's no way I can continue with the schedule she has me on. She said it would not be a problem. So I walk into work today to get the schedule for next week and *surprise* I still don't have 20 hours... I have 27 (as opposed to 28 last week)... so I will still have well over 30 hours on the books... add to the fact that my co worker got her raise on her paycheck today and I didn't... I'm not happy.

I'm overly stressed and it's showing both at school and at work. My assistant manager called her to tell her that I was not happy and she gave the excuse that she 'forgot'... she's been forgetful a lot.

I'm *this* close to putting in my 2 weeks notice, but I don't want to be out of a job/have to look again if I don't have to. Do I continue to give her the bene of a doubt and talk to her on Sunday, or should I give up?

I'm just so frustrated... and I can't seem to get anyone here to really listen because no one sees why I should complain that I'm *only* working 30 hours a week...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toni work situations are really tough at times. Sometimes what helps me in those situations, I do the pro vs con. Write down what is good and then bad. If one outweighs the other then start making decisions. Are there other jobs easily available to get another one right away??

Toni, if you get overburdened then you might become sick and then what??? Think about that.

Here's a hug for you. ((((Toni))))

Dee

Buzzz

Final Flight
School comes first. Good luck talking to your boss. She should understand because where I work, my employer is very flexible when it comes to students and even workers who work elsewhere. GOOD LUCK!

heyang

Record Breaker
You should talk to her and emphasize the maximum # of hours you can work again. If you can, you should also check in with her before she issues the schedule again - most managers don't want to change it after they've posted it. Be prepared to quit if she continues to exceed your maximum. Not doing well in school has longer consequences vs quitting a job (at this point in time)

You should also mention the missing raise - and say missing, as opposed to 'lack'. 'Lack' implies that you feel you should get a raise. 'Missing' = it was already supposed to be given. It might have been an oversight in payroll.

Alsace

On the Ice
I agree about school success being more important at this stage in your life, especially if your job is not in your permanent field of work. Also, make sure you save every penny of the extra money for school/necessary expenses; it can be very tempting to splurge because of the stress. Finally, pray for wisdom.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Also, make sure you save every penny of the extra money for school/necessary expenses; it can be very tempting to splurge because of the stress. Finally, pray for wisdom.

The money is well taken care of... I have several things budgetted and so that's not a problem... I'm able to get Christmas shopping out of the way quicker that's for sure! :)

and prayer is what's keeping me somewhat sane...

thanks all for the suggestions and support you all rock... I'll be talking with my manager on Tuesday... so yeah... we'll see how it goes...

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Another voice for "school is most important". Also, if she is that "forgetful", don't tell her you can't work over 25 hours - she'll just think that extra 2 hours don't make any difference. Tell her you absolutely cannot work more than 20 - this way you'll end up working 23 hours or something.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I second all of the very sound advice from all... I'd like to add another thing to pay attention to... make sure that when you do get that raise, make sure its retropay... do not and I repeat DO NOT allow her to start your raise on the next pay period... she needs to account from when you were promised the raise, including overtime, to current. Its illegal for her to "forget" your retro pay... as my mom would say, don't give it away for free...

Also, having been in your position, let me tell you a little story... During my senior year of college, I worked full time (not my idea, just too greedy to say no...), carried a full schedule of classes and continued to overschedule the extra curricular activies... because of the stress, I lost 35 pounds (God, to have my old metabolism...), watched my grades tank, took the LSAT with a hangover (because a girl needs a break & unfortunatly I took mine the night before the LSAT - I forgot...) and then developed an ulcer... Yes, I looked great at spring break and yes, I had a ton of money ~ but my grades sucked, I couldn't enjoy my pina coladas (milk is bad for those with tummy issues) and had to pay another 150 bucks to retake the LSAT (mommy said no, she wouldn't pay for the test again because I couldn't be responsible enough not to drink...) Work in college is not worth it... you have the rest of your life to work...

The moral of the story... don't let her "forget" to give you your retro pay...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toni, any updates on the job situation?

Dee

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It depends. Is work in your area hard to come by? Here in Vancouver and the lower mainland things are picking up because of the looming Olympics. Work has never been so good here, since maybe Expo. I see help wanted signs everywhere. Also a lot of people are heading to Alberta to the oil fields leaving the lesser paying jobs open. I say if you would have no difficulty in securing a new position then give your notice otherwise hang in there.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well, I still don't have a raise... and don't know when if it will ever come in... she has called and emailed the district manager several times with no answer (which makes me wonder if the calls or emails were really placed)

I did get the hours I wanted (Well the amount, not the days/times) and so I can't complain there... even though I'm still working close to 25 hours if you count the extra time I have to bee there because I have to stay until we're done during closing shifts...

but my parents anniversary party (which was planned way BEFORE I was hired, and I was told would NOT be a problem when I was hired) has been a 'problem' with my boss because she finally realized it was this coming weekend... and it's sent her into a panic. And so what does she do? She puts my hours in for this weekend. Nevermind I've already told her that I was keeping her to her word. Never mind she told me dozens of times it was not a problem.

So I left her a note on Saturday when I saw my schedule telling her that she knew I was going to be away that weekend. What I didn't say was how I feel about it, and that I am NOT responsible for ANY of those hours she has me scheduled. Now I've heard that she's 'very upset' of how I'm handling it. However she's telling my COWORKERS this, not me.

Top this off with her entire core staff getting ready (or already have) to quit and it's just so much stress...

I'm going to stick it out as long as possible. I work with her (for the first time this week) tomorrow... not sure if I'm looking forward to it or not. If she DOES give me any grief about my weekend I'm going to tell her that my 2 weeks notice was to be considered put in for two weeks ago when this whole mess started, and then I'm leaving. I'm just not willing to put up with it anymore.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
meant to also ask if there is a website or hotline or whatever that I can look up the rules of family being hired by family in businesses... our manager hired her brother as the assisstant manager, and that's when things started going down hill it's like she did a complete 180...

nubka

Final Flight
Tonichelle (if I may ask,) what kind of job do you have, where do you work? Just curious...

Good luck. I hope you won't have to give your notice, but you must do whatever is best for you, and whatever saves your sanity!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Nubka - I am a photographer for Sears Portrait Studios in Anchorage, AK... we may be in Sears but we're not truly part OF Sears, we're actually run by CPI Corp.

nubka

Final Flight
So you get to spend your day trying to make all those cute babies and toddlers smile...!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah though I'm not the best with babies... much prefer kids and teens... lol

heyang

Record Breaker
meant to also ask if there is a website or hotline or whatever that I can look up the rules of family being hired by family in businesses... our manager hired her brother as the assisstant manager, and that's when things started going down hill it's like she did a complete 180...

The rules are based upon corporate policy. There is no government requirement or limitation. You should check the corporate guidelines or speak with someone in HR.

Technically, the only person that can complain about her brother being hired is someone who did not get promoted (and who deserved the promotion). Most companies prefer to promote from within whenever possible.

At my company, everyone has to sign a conflict of interest form annually. It essentially states that you have no interest or relationship with any other business where you have the decision to hire/purchase. If you do have interest, you must state it and remove yourself from the decison making process. Most companies require all managers to sign this type of document.

LOL. One of my friends met her husband at work. When she 1st started, he was getting divorced. About a year later, she asked him (no reporting relationship). After a while, they lived together - no problem. When they got married, one of them had to leave the company since corporate policy did not allow spouses to work at the same location!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah we can't date co-workers, but apparently we can share DNA... if we live in alaska... it's a really screwy rule

what's hard is we don't have an HR person, we have to call the District Manager, and she's very good friends with our manager... but thanks for the insight...

One of my coworkers was promised the job of assisstant manager and was passed over with my boss' brother suddenly needed a job. my coworker is still doing most of HIS work plus her's and is still getting paid her starting pay! It's insane! She left a management position at another photo company because of the lousy hours and the poor corp. management...