Scratch spin! | Golden Skate

Scratch spin!

doubleaxel

Rinkside
Well, my skating director (Yes, I have finally asked someone about this USFSA thing!!!) says that it would be good if I did the FreeSkate lessons first. He says I would be in FreeSkate 3 or 4 if I did a scratch spin totally correctly. =’(

I have no problem going into the spin or actually spinning, but for some reason I can’t cross my foot over the other for the scratch spin. Every time I actually cross, though, I totally loose control of the spin. It’s funny, because I can do the sit spin very well, and a beginning layback…but I can’t cross that foot! Can someone please give some advice?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Are you crossing your foot over your knee or just over your skating (spinning) foot? Try bringing your foot over your knee and then down towards the ice. Do the move slowly at first until you feel comfortable. Concentrate on the spin and not on the action of the free leg.

doubleaxel

Rinkside
Are you crossing your foot over your knee or just over your skating (spinning) foot? Try bringing your foot over your knee and then down towards the ice. Do the move slowly at first until you feel comfortable. Concentrate on the spin and not on the action of the free leg.

Over my knee.... at least I try to. And thanks for the advice! I'll try...

It's so frustrating, though, because it is the only thing that keeps me from FreeSkate 4!!! :(

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Ah yes, the scratch spin....we've been enemies for nigh on 3 months now.....
I'm in Freestyle 2 and am just now starting to 'get' the scratch spin, I'm actually better at the back spin, can cross my foot, sometimes get up to 4 revolutions, despite having just been introduced to it yesterday.
As for that damn scratch thing, what has helped me the most (out of the 51,000 different pieces of advice I've gotten from absolutely EVERYBODY) was to concentrate on my spinning leg being well bent and the power in that leg.
Might sound a little hippy-dippy-crystal-Santa Fe, but it works (sorta).
Probably the best advice I've gotten concerning crossing the foot was from the very young skater girls, they said to just lift your free leg as high as you dare, then work on lowering it towards the spinning skate.
I'm at about knee-level now......:)