Dance - Free Dance | Golden Skate

Dance - Free Dance

Rosaleen

Medalist
I don't know how 'tech' my report will be for dance - ite's another one that takes so many words to try and describe what the skaters are doing. I'll try and give the highlights as well as general impressions of each dance.

Hajkova / Vincour CZE- 11th overall coming into free dance - Elvis Medley / black leather & silver trim /
Crowd is clappling right off the start / balance strt line lift is go / a bit of hydro blading which the crowd loves / spin with him upright her in layback switch to sits / music changes to hold me close. . . . / curve lift is nicely done and attractive / O ftwrk is a bit slow (very) and deliberate no real flow / move with her in almost death spiral pos holding onto his skate / music is now trouble with some hip swizzles and into sync twizzles are pretty music in sync / diag steps have better speed and connection to the music / get the feeling that the music is too fast for them and it showing off how slow they are / one-arm rotational life is very good except a bit of a miss (I think) on the exit / crowd loved it though T 37.40 C 27.41 tot 64.81 gr tot 127.70

Rosaleen

Medalist
Yu / Wang CHN - 10th overall coming into free dance / celtic music / her in red with silver satin trim him in reverse / sync twizzles are well done / curve lift with change of pos and change of curve / balance lift with him on one foot / and now the music really picks up and into lord of the dance and the crowd is clapping / nice set of sync twizzles into O ftwrk or maybe S ending in twizzles gthat match / now into slower music and I think it’s the waltz Bour/Kratz used for their OD / nice-looking spin / curve lift into rot lift - her position isn’t that great / back to fast music for midline steps starting with twizzles / the steps and farily complex but don’t move across the ice fast enough for the music / there’s a lot of plain stroking in between the required sequences / T 35.30 C 27.66 tot 62.96 gr tot 126.36 currently 2nd

Rosaleen

Medalist
Pratt / Gillis USA - 9th overall coming into free dance nice shade of dark blue / dream on by Aerosmith / rotational lift with her draped over his arm / curve lift with him in bent leg spread eagle and her stretched out horizontal to the ice rest on his knees / diag ftwrk expresses the music really well - generally their feel for the music is really good in this / sgtrt line lift into rot lift / spin started with just him spinning then she joined him in sit then change of pos / O ftwrk ends with nice set of twizzles - very expressive / low lift with her in foot to head flip up into higher pos / out of sync on both sets of twizzles he almost lost it on the 2nd ones / Dance was really well chor’d to the music and they had a good feel for it / T 43.50 C 32.35 tot 74.85 ded 1.0 gr tot 139.44 currently 1st

Rosaleen

Medalist
Mikahilova / Sergeev RUS - 7th overall coming into free dance / Jesus Christ Superstar / her in shades of dusty rose him in black with matching accents / starts with very dark section of music (think from the temple scene) low lift with him in short duck her upside down / O ftwrk had lots of indivuals twizzles that worked quite well in the chor / ‘If this cup” I think is the music - soft & flowing / sync twizzles are very good / curve lift makes very nice shape / spin with her in ½ beillman is ok / another low lift going backwards this time / rot lift looked a little awkward at the end / music picks up to ‘what’s the buzz’ I think / for midline steps well done but not quite as fast as the music dictates / familiar Jesus Christ Superstar music now for the rotational lift that is excellent / the chor and expression was excellent for the music / T 38.30 C 32.50 tot 69.84 ded 1.0 gr tot 140.97 currently 1st

Rosaleen

Medalist
Navarro / Dommentre USA - 6th overall coming into free dance / purple & black / beattles medley / Once there was a way . . . some nice dancing to start - good speed / statue lift / diag steps have much more flow than the previous teams eneding in sync twizzles / twizzles set was excellent on 1st she stepped out a little sooner than him on 2nd / great rot lift / spin is ok / some dancing in place as the music changes to ?? / O ftwrk to mainly drums flows very well and express music - maybe a bit simple?? Not sure / rot lift with changes of pos is fast and very good / some expressive dancing but possibly something that was supposed to be there wasn’t / great lift into rot lift that is too hard to describe - but I really liked it / T 42.50 C 35.34 tot 77.84 new PB gr tot 152.57 currently 1st

Rosaleen

Medalist
Platanova / Maximishin RUS - 5th overall coming into free dance / black & red Spanish style / flamenco music /
Spin with her in layover camel change to ½ beillman that isn’t really pretty esp with the long skirt / almost the full length of rink in curves just stroking & posing / curve lift with change to upside down pos / O ftwrk is ok but not a lot of difficult turns / some posing at centre ice and music has slowed / sync twizzles are in sync but kind of far apart / low lift with her stretched out in front of him / curve lift with change to rot with a very awkward exit / some more chor in place at centre ice / midline steps are very close together but a bit of clutching & grabbing / one-arm rot lift with her draped over his arm - her position on that just hung there - looked not very good - no extension at all to her legs / T 44.30 C 36.68 tot 79.98 ded 1.0 new pb gr tot 157.45 currently 1st overall

Rosaleen

Medalist
Lefebrve / Markov CAN - 8th overall coming into free dance / both in black with light blue chiffon & silver trim / statue lift changing to upsidedown curve lift / spin with her in camel change to layback - nice spin / curve lift with her horizontal to ice / O ftwrk gets very slow and somewhat laboured & even a bit sloppy / sync twizzles are quite good / rot lift with change of direction of rotation / they seem really slow to me and the somewhat monotonous music doesn’t help - I want to like the want but am having a hard time doing so / diag steps I really like / upside down lift with her vertical and him on one knee / T 43.90 C 31.58 tot 75.48 gr tot 145.12 currently 3rd overall

Rosaleen

Medalist
Davis / White USA - 4th overall coming into free dance / music is Polyvetsian dances from Prince Igor / him in dark purple velvet with turquoise vest effect her in turquoise with bra effect in fushia / some nice opening romatic moves in place / curve lift into rotation lift is really pretty and flows with the music / they’ve set a nice mood / music builds now and so does their skating some nice leaps by him / fast sync twizzles / music flows now and the O ftwrk moves with it - he exited the twizzles before her / low lift with her resting one leg on his feet / some romatic moves in place / curve lift with change of pos / spin with her with foot to head - don’t like the shape it makes / music bulds again for diag steps that pick up speed as they go ending in great twizzles / great rot lift - fast and some really neat moves into their final pose / great dance - drew the crowd right into it - well skated / T 46.30 C 38.53 tot 84.83 new PB gr tot 162.66 currently 1st overall

Rosaleen

Medalist
Virtue / Moir CAN - 2nd overall coming into free dance / music Valse Triste / her in lavender him in cream shirt & dark grey pants / they set the mood right of very flowing opening moves / neat move with her in splits / low strt lift with her upside down horizontal to ice / music picks up a bit and curve lift into rot / they’re skating so easy and right with music - soft / O ftwrk is very complex and still flows / I don’t want to write - just feel the program / spin with her in camel and change of pos / diag steps accent the music so well / a real dance / the element flow from one to another / one arm rot lift / sync twizzles are pretty musch bang on / darker thread in the music now and another great lift that ends as the music quitetens into some closing moves / they just carry you along with them / T 46.50 C 41.79 tot 88.29 new PB gr tot 171.92 currently 1st overall

Rosaleen

Medalist
Dubreuil / Lauzon CAN - 1st overall coming into free dance / her in cream dress him in lifther shirt with bow tie untied / music is At Last by etta james / great opening moves into balance lift that I can’t describe into a rot lift that reverses rotation that is just beautiful but again I can’t try and describe / spin with her in layback / some cute little moves infront of judges / O ftwrk flows - lovely / love the entrance to the sync twizzles - you don’t know they’re coming until they’re into them / there’s some fun playful moves scattered throughout / midline steps - wonderful / rot lift with change of pos / some great intertwined dancing / statue lift right on music / then a hydro blade move to end that I think didn’t quite work exactly as planned but also didn’t really look like an error / this is a wonderful dance - so nice to see them doing this kind of program / T 50.00 C 48.81 tot 98.81 gr tot 196.68 currently 1st (by 25 points)

Rosaleen

Medalist
Faiella / Scali ITA - 3rd overall coming into free dance / her in shades of blue him in black velvet with blue sequin
accents / Pantera de Liberta / samba? - great moves to oipen / rot lift with her upside down & foot to head - not really pretty / midline steps express the music well - twizzles in sync / music softens & flowing now and theyir moves express it / spin with her in catch footthen reverse direction ok spin - not a really pretty shape to it / gender bender lift no hands with him upside down vertical - great lift and they go into really easily - doesn’t look awkward at all / music picks up and some dancing in place then sync twizzles that are in sync / balance lift to low lift / curve lift with him in spread eagle with change of curve & pos / O ftwrk is right on the music / great move where she spins him around into their closing pose / there were places where I thought there was a bit too much plain stroking but on the whole a great dance and they expressed the music very well / T 45.20 C 43.19 Tot 88.39 gr tot 170.73 currently 3rd overall

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Rosaleen - many many thanks for your wonderfully detailed reports live from rinkside. It is much appreciated, and you've done a great job for us skating fans, bless you. :)

:clap: :agree: :bow: :rock:

rain

Record Breaker
Some observations — I was there, yay!

First, D/L were truly the class of this field. They made the arena seem small. None of the other teams matched their speed and flow over the ice. Loved this new program, it suits them to a T. The choreography is wonderful. A couple of things they can work on, but one would expect that this early in the season.

Virtue/ Moir were fantastic. They have so much star quality, especially impressive for a team so recently out of juniors. They didn't look at all out of place in the seniors ranks. Their program is gorgeous. Couldn't look away. Some of the best twizzles in the competition. Slowed down a bit on one of their footwork sections, but clearly this is a team with a huge future.

Faella and Scali - this was a fun dance, but the music choice puntuated by some, admittedly impressive, highlights seemed more like an exhibition piece than their exhibition piece did. They skated it very well and the crowd loved it. However, I wonder about them possibly needing something more sophisticated to move them up the ladder.

Lefebrve and Markov were a bit of a letdown. Their freedance plodded along in its overwrought emotion, if that makes sense. They are extremely dramatic, but they clearly need to do some work on the basics. Their speed is noticeably not anywhere near the top teams.

Edited to add that Anastasia Mikahilova has star quality, mark my words.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I'm not so sure. I think Sergeev is more technically accomplished than Kostomarov was at his age, and has more energy and flair. One of the reasons Zhulin did "Pink Panther" was to bring Kostomarov to the forefront, and that was late in Kostomarov's competitive career. I don't think Sergeev needs encouragement. He needs to develop at a normal rate.

Mikhailova has the potential to out-Navka Navka. Which means Sergeev doesn't have to be as good as Staviyski or Sakhnovski, for example. Plus, with Platonova/Maximishin taking the early lead, they have room to develop without the same pressure.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Interesting thoughts re the Russian couple, and Rain, many thanks for your review too, :agree: two couples I've seen for the first time [via dodgy streaming but they still made a great impression] were firstly Davis & White, fabulous OD, and Virtue & Moir, technique and star quality. And both couples still so young, but very exciting. :clap: