Ladies LP on TV | Golden Skate

Ladies LP on TV

I liked Sarah Meir's performance the best. For my money, more of that, less just ticking off the elements. She did five triples and a double Axel, but they were so nicely woven into the program that you almost didn't notice. Nice music, too.

Mao Asada's music did seem too fast for her. But maybe she will be able to handle it once she starts nailing her elements.

I liked Dick Button's comment on Kimmie's forward spiral, that she had her leg in a graceful position, not too high and vulgar.

Ando deserved her marks. Great skate. Does she look a little stiff-legged, like Maria Butyrskaya, on her jumps?

Weird skate for Emily, with all the pops. Just one of those days, I guess.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
The local ABC in Denver decided to air this 2:30am again regardless of the fact ABC official website still states it will be on at 3:00pm. I will be setting the alarm and taking a nap soon.:cool:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I enjoyed Kimmie's program so much more than I did at Campbell's. Yes landing the jumps helps the program look better, but I think she performed it a lot better here. The opposite is true for Mao...she didn't perform her program well...looked lost out there, no spark which she usually has (of course, the lack of jumps must have shocked her). Miki was lovely, but still needs work on her spirals and spins, yet her jumps are back and thank God she's got lovely dresses again. The Olympics outfits were atrocious last year and she had been a lovely dresser up until that point in her career! Sarah and Emily were nice to watch as well.

Did you notice that Kimmie was sitting next to her friend Katy Taylor in the last interview scene. That was nice.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
For once I did enjoy Kimmie's program. I think her presentation has improved immensley from last year. I do find her flapping arms very distractful, though. Kimmie has lovely taste in costumes.

Miki Ando, not one of my favorite skaters, performed well and deserved to win, in my opinion. She also was wearing an attractive costume.

Emily was a complete disaster. The first part of her program looked very rough and clumsey, in my opinion. I do, however, admire her sparkly personality.

Mao Asada is just a lovely, light and elegant skater. Too bad about her missed oppportunity. I wonder if she was suffering from nerves or what? Mao is the class act in ladies figureskating right now, in my opinion.

Sarah Meir is a nice skater but something is missing with her. I just can't put my finger on it. So far, I'm not impressed with her at all.

Dizzy

mzheng

Record Breaker
I liked Sarah Meir's performance the best.
Ando deserved her marks. Great skate. Does she look a little stiff-legged, like Maria Butyrskaya, on her jumps?

Me too. She looks skated 'into' her musics. Ando was too. She and Ando were the two program I liked. Wired that although Ando looked more mature and better presented herself. But her 5 components scores were much lower than Kimmie and Mao. How did this happen was beyond me.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
I'm glad the Japanese reporter had the courtesy to apologize to Kimmie for his childish outburst. Could somebody teach him the meaning of the word "RUDE!"?

Linny

Final Flight
Different take

My take on the LP programs is different from Mathman's - unusual since I generally like the same things he likes. Sarah's program looked slow and her jumps seemed not quite telegraphed, but you certainly had a lot of warning that they were coming. Liked her costume, though, and liked her facial expressions. Not over the top or contrived, but happy and gentle like her music.

Miki is still going to have to get more expression for my tastes. I was pleased on her behalf that she won. Her improvement has been dramatic... but she still has a long way to go. I want to see her heart and soul.

Kimmie's arms are still a bit stiff but getting better.

My, my, Mao - her opening move just grabbed me. Those of you with VCRs and Tivos go back and replay. It's lyrical.

Linny

I wasn't overwhelmed when I saw it LIVE nor when I watched the TV. I did enjoy the improvements in Miki and Kimmie.

The scoring was correct but moreso, it is not definitive of competitions to come.

The three medalists are definitely in the front of the pack. However, there is Fumie, Joannie, and maybe, Carolina (I'll give her one more chance).

Joe

flying camel

Medalist
I liked Sarah Meir's performance the best. For my money, more of that, less just ticking off the elements. She did five triples and a double Axel, but they were so nicely woven into the program that you almost didn't notice. Nice music, too.

Yes, I liked Sarah Meir's program also. I loved the music. She kind of put me in mine of Katarina Witt in her younger days. Maybe she can win the European title this year. She skates so much better then Sokolova.

I have to say someone is right about Ando. There is no choreography. There are just a bunch of crossovers.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I finally caught the Ladies LP and was shocked as Ms. Flemming attempted to make the case that Kimmie deserved to win over Miki... I love Peggy ~ but what is she smokin'?? Its one thing to have a clear personal favorite, but something else to imply that a skater's "overall quality" makes for a deserving win... tisk tisk tisk... Such a shame...

Give Miki her due... she was awesome in the LP and really made the case for the Ladies Long Program vs. the Girls' Long Program... :clap:

Other thoughts...

Sarah Meir is sucha beautiful skater and I hope that someone on her team purchases her a dose of "X FACTOR"... Her lack of "it" quality is the only thing missing between her & the podium... Kinda like Angela N...

Mao... I said it before & I'll say it again... stop putting so much pressure on these young girls to perform and let them develop...

Emily ... Where's my "ta-da!" Oh well... Here's hoping its back by Nationals... One must be hopeful that her lackluster skating is the result of kicking *** on those SATs... One must keep one's head on the priorities in life...

Not the most impressive Skate America but I'm so spoiled on how seasons should start that its hard to stay objective... Here's hoping for a better showing at Skate Canada...

hongligl

Final Flight
I just feel that the American commentators are often so biaed. When their girls show good flexibility, they wow it. When some girls can not, they can equally wow it for "gracefulness". To be frank, IMO Kimmie's spirl is worse than Miki's. And their spins are about the same quality.
I'm not a fan of either of them, just feel that it's a bit unfair that people comment on Miki's spiral so often and never on Kimmie's.
As for skating skill, one thing I don't like Miki's stating is her basic stroking. Her upper body pressed forward so much sometimes almost parallel to the ice. Powerful as she is, her skating give me a laboured feeling.
I like Kimmie's LP choreography. Hopefully it will get better and better during the season.
In general I like Emily's attack but I think she needs a little bit more control. She gave me a feeling of overexcited when she's on the ice. She needs to find the balance. Her skating reminds me Stephane Lambiel's 04 World exhibition.

Off the topic, I prefer Yu-na's style to Mao's. But what lovely and talented young skaters we are seeing! These two are what I considered the whole package.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Dick was WAY overboard last night (at 2:30 am anyone might have been though) and the Peggy comments defending (changing placement) of Kimmie was rather shocking to hear her go that way, the only thing I thought was blown away by was how high Miki's tech scores were. Not that she didn't score high, just how high she did was a jaw dropper. Well it was 2:30am.

And must note that Miki is STILL continuing her track of getting more and more gorgeous every time I see her. :love: :love: :love:

Anyway I am formulating a email to ESPN, ABC National, Marshall's, Pantine (forgot how beautiful that "winter girl" for Pantine is (I think she might be south eastern Siberian or north Pac rim ...:love: :love: wow - sorry OT) Olay, HDTV.Colorado, Smucker's, Head and shoulders and State Farm. I would think they payed to have their spots on in mid afternoon not 2:30am, it it usually is a nation wide broadcast deal they invest in and I doubt that they wanted their spots being wasted and over charged for the spot they received for the Denver Metro Area.

I don't know if was this thread or another but someone said "I wouldn't bother complaining." "Complaining" I agree, but feed back has to happen. Also their feed back might be helping even if it is not to the degree they want it to, it is likely helping.

The following notion is not precisely connected, but does have the message which is; when I was trapped in the corporate world I found how much a "thank you" or acknowledgment of some good aspect (even if I did not fully believe or agree) was positively getting response and worked better than berating someone for the things they did / do wrong. Anyway, the approach to things can be the vital factor in getting response and even being heard, I took classes for this specific "skill set" at S******** - corporate job. I could provide accolades for anyone to see how well this did work effectively form thew job. I think that it was a comment of wanting more FS televised. Only a thought as an example....

"I appreciate your coverage of the ________ events and wonder if there are any plans in the future to extend the coverage? I would love to see more, and feel many that would also, are not writing in to you - possibly not being represented.
Is there something more the FS fan can do?
I wonder if we are having our voice being heard to the degree it really exists. I don't doubt the abilities of your organization / station to acquire this statistical information, but FS fans are different than many sports fans in their approach to showing their spirt - this MIGHT cause them to be overlooked. Personally I feel the rising ticket prices are the main issue for the decline in attendance to events, I hope this is being noticed by ____ as well.
Thank you for you time and thank you for the coverage you do provide. It is the only way myself and many others I talk with can afford to see this sport many of us so truly love.
Kind Regards,

Along those lines anyhow...

Last edited:
if one goes LIVE one does not hear Peggy or Dick or those Japanese commentators I hear on Youtube extolling their skaters.

When I get around to watching it on TV I hardly pay any attention to the commentators.

I personally think that anyone who thought Kimmie's LP was better than Miki's has a right to that opinion. I wouldn't agree with it, but neither will I lose any sleep on other peoples' opinions who don't agree with mine.

Joe

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
if one goes LIVE one does not hear Peggy or Dick or those Japanese commentators I hear on Youtube extolling their skaters.

Joe

Joe do you speak Japanese? :) LOL sometimes I wish there would be more of those videos on youtube in English. I form my own opinions on the skating and the outcome of the competition, but I rather like what some of them have to say even if I don't always agree with it.

No RB - I do not speak Japanese, but I do understand the tone of the commentators.

Yes, I agree. Occasionally I enjoy a tidbit from the commentators. More annoying is Terry Gannon who tends to rehash everything you already know about a skater but then, that's his job. I can actually turn it off from mind while watching the competition.

BTW, do you have a Russian Blue cat? That breed is something else.:)

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I think Joe is right, they really do from what I can understand. If you know that "Hai" means yes (which it seems like is said every 4th word:laugh: ), you can just hear the tone in that alone.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I finally caught the Ladies LP and was shocked as Ms. Flemming attempted to make the case that Kimmie deserved to win over Miki... I love Peggy ~ but what is she smokin'?? Its one thing to have a clear personal favorite, but something else to imply that a skater's "overall quality" makes for a deserving win... tisk tisk tisk... Such a shame...
KW, I agree with your assessment of Aunt Peggy. I think Miki was so excited at the end of her program she almost missed the ending. I am for one glad she won. I felt that Kimmie has matured a lot and doesnt' have that cute girl attitude any longer. She is developing into a very nice young lady. Mao is such a pleasure to watch. Loved it, loved it. I think Sarah Meir needs to live up to the Swiss spinners. I did like her program. Emily, I'm sorry looks like a bull in a china shop. She has the most horrible posture. Whenever she starts to skate......I hear..........CHARGE!!!!

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Emily, I'm sorry looks like a bull in a china shop. She has the most horrible posture. Whenever she starts to skate......I hear..........CHARGE!!!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh DeeLo you are so funny!
I do however get your drift and agree - maybe not a "Bull" :laugh: a Horse might fit the visual a little better. :laugh: And not saying that she looks like one or anything - might be her "animal association" which is a great complement from me anyway. Horses are the most beautiful of animals IMO. She is nicely figured for a young girl IMO just as much as Sara M is, just in different ways. But I do see her trying to keep control of her body, it is just physics I 'spose, there is more there to control - still nice and pretty, but it has got to be harder to control.

I also get that from Nancy K (now particularly) and Tonya back in the day - more the "charge" :rofl: with Tonya.

Oh Dee that was funny!