What is Emily Hughes' music? | Golden Skate

What is Emily Hughes' music?

Forgive me if this was already discussed - I've been off the boards for a while.

I recognized her LP music, but couldn't tell you what it was....anyone? TIA.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The one thing I detest about Wilson's choreography is overuse of the arms. Emily is tall with long arms, and at times in her SP she looks as if she is trying to take off. When I find that I notice what skaters are doing with their arms, it usually means that there is far too much arm movement in the program.

The arm movements should blend with the foot. leg and body movements so that they flow seamlessly together and leave the impression of harmony.

When Sarah Meier was skating, I hardly noticed her arms at all. Miki was fine until she did the footwork, then it was like semaphore waving. Kimmie is still overaware of her arms; I hope when she becomes comfortable with her program, she will concentrate more on interpretation than on individual arm and body movements.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The one thing I detest about Wilson's choreography is overuse of the arms. Emily is tall with long arms, and at times in her SP she looks as if she is trying to take off.
Mark Mitchell choreographed Hughes' SP to "Carmen"; Wilson did the long.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joannie Rochette's choreography the last couple of years has featured distracting arm motions, too. And "Sylvia" was full of waving arms---not quite as much as "Carmen", but still too much with the arms.

The Wilson skaters who seem to be able to best integrate the arm and body movements are Oda and Buttle, and I think it has to do with their own natural grace.

Emily and Joannie are powerful skaters, but not naturally graceful ones.

sk8addict

On the Ice
After watching Skate America, I think Hughes can beat Kimmie and be National Champion, She has greatly improved and Kimmie has not. This really shocked me beacuse I have never been an Emily fan. I always kinda thought what Kimmie said in 2003 "Both Hughes sisters skate like dogs"

After watching Skate America, I think Hughes can beat Kimmie and be National Champion, She has greatly improved and Kimmie has not.
Anything is possible, but I don't see how you can conclude anything from Emily's Skate America performance. her 0F, 1F and 0Lz were only good enough for 6th place in the free skate.
sk8addict said:
"Both Hughes sisters skate like dogs"
Not necessarily an insult:

http://www.carinacharms.com/dev/images/items/SnoopySantaIceSkateCO.JPG :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After watching Skate America, I think Hughes can beat Kimmie and be National Champion, She has greatly improved and Kimmie has not. This really shocked me beacuse I have never been an Emily fan. I always kinda thought what Kimmie said in 2003 "Both Hughes sisters skate like dogs"

Emily landed 3 triples in her SA FS and Kimmie landed 6. Kimmie won the silver medal at SA.. Emily placed 5th overall, just like she did last year at SA. The last international medal Emily won was at Junior Worlds 2005. Kimmie is World Champion.

IMO, Kimmie is the one who has improved, not Emily. Emily used to fall on jumps, now she is popping them. At least you get some credit when you fall on a jump, but you get 0 points for a pop.

IDLERACER

Medalist
If anybody is interested, she has an extremely impressive exhibition program this year, and appears to be wearing her sister's old Fosse costume. Click HERE :rock:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see anything so amazing about that exhibition. She did a double axel, a double salchow, and she popped her final jump. If anything, that is worrisome--popping and underrotating jumps in an exhibition. She popped the lutz and singled the flip in her Campbell's program, and popped two flips and a lutz in her SA FS. This is starting to be a pattern with her.

And that is not her sister's "Fosse" costume. Sarah's costume was all black sequins. This one has silver sequins around the waist and there is no embellishment on the legs.

I think there has been improvement in Hughe's skating, but it has been at a price for other elements (particularly the jumps). If she can work on getting it all together, she will be more competitive. JMO.

I enjoyed her exchibition but all the exhibitions were on the jazzy side and not hi tech. I should have left Sunday morning.

My personal feeling about improvements is that for some it is slower than others but you know about that tortoise

Joe

Penny

On the Ice
Emily's spiral and spins

Emily Hughes has a wonderful stretched spiral and terrific spins, one of the very best Beilmanns (if we must do them). I don't know why she popped all those jumps at Skate America, but I'm sure she and her coach are working on it furiously. It may just all come together for her at the right time as it did with her sister. But if not, not.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I suppose we'll see. I think she's one of those skaters who might have a grand performance out of the blue one day and then go back to "normal". Don't mean this as a diss but I see her as a second-rate skater. I don't think she's at that level yet where she compete with the "big boys". (or I suppose it should be "girls") But stranger things have occurred.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a theory about the popped jumps.

Emily wants to put one 3/3 in her SP and two 3/3s in her FS, to be competitive with Kimmie. But she has a consistent problem with overpowering her entrance into the 3Z (nearly all the time) and sometimes the 3F. The result has always been that she has to "save" the 3Z in order to complete the combination, and that makes it nearly impossible for her to add a triple. At Skate America, she was able to add only a single toe loop and lost points on the combination.

So I am wondering if the strategy is for her not to attack the 3Z and 3F quite so powerfully so she can achieve a clean landing that will enable her to tack on a triple in combination. It's probably her pick technique that her coach is trying to work on.

So far, that hasn't worked in competition. Instead of securing softer landings, Emily is aborting the jumps just at the pick stage because she is fighting her own instincts.

Basically, what Retzkin is doing is trying to change Emily's overall approach to jumping, which relies on power to get the big jumps. When you try to change a skater's basic style, there is usually a big setback in consistency. If Emily were 14 and still in juniors, there would be plenty of time to work a style change and regain consistency before moving on to the big time. But Emily will be 18 before the next Nationals, she's already at the elite level, and it's pretty late in the game to be messing with her technique. JMHO.

sk8addict

On the Ice
Anything is possible, but I don't see how you can conclude anything from Emily's Skate America performance. her 0F, 1F and 0Lz were only good enough for 6th place in the free skate. Not necessarily an insult:

http://www.carinacharms.com/dev/images/items/SnoopySantaIceSkateCO.JPG :)

Granted she was just a litle girl who had just won the Novice title but believe me it was an insult! She and Katy & Jessica did the up and downmovement from the waist to mimmick the Hughes' skating.

sk8addict

On the Ice
If anybody is interested, she has an extremely impressive exhibition program this year, and appears to be wearing her sister's old Fosse costume. Click HERE :rock:

Thanks, I really enjoyed it! Her spirals and spins and edging were a treat. If she gets her jumps back she is competive. Opps...that's happening right now in China!

R.D.

Record Breaker
what? that sounds like just a rumor. Unless someone overheard her saying it at some rink or something, I don't put much stock in it. (Admittedly it would be kind of funny, though).