Weir snark | Golden Skate

Weir snark

antmanb

Record Breaker
Just saw a podium shot of Johnny and he looks really pale - i thought he looked really pale in the Cheesefest too so i take he's not portraying Dead Zombie Christ? That costume looks absolutely awful, and is he just naturally quite pale skinned? Perhaps Marina banned him from using make up? He's straying into that scary place where he looks like that scary vampiric ice dancer from Israel!

Ant

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
I agree. I can't understand this guy. I know he is not a comformist and wants to stand out but this is getting to the bizzare stage. I don't even like to watch him skate anymore because he is just turning me off. Go out and do your best, if you fall on your butt get up and keep going--don't give up because you are making mistakes. I just don't get him and wish he would get the chip off his shoulder and skate or quit. One or the other.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Whether he's tan or pale, I think he looks good if it's NATURAL. He's costume looks beautiful - the best among three medalists in men's at Skate Canada.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Whether he's tan or pale, I think he looks good if it's NATURAL. He's costume looks beautiful - the best among three medalists in men's at Skate Canada.

But the other medalists at skate canada were Lambiel - (with crazy parrot/zebra from last year) and Takahashi - who's costume i can't really see in the picture but seems ok.

I don't like the thorny crown bands around Weir's head either! I say bring back camille and the icicle on coke!!

Ant

shine

Record Breaker
I think one can be bizzare like this all he wants if the creativity in his ACTUAL skating actually lives up to it (such as Sandhu). But what Weir has to offer us OFF the ice is just so much more than what he does on the ice.

psycho

On the Ice
What makes people think that he gave up? I didn't see giving up, he finished the program all the way thorugh. Yes, he looked tired at the end, but that does not equal giving up.

And he is naturally pale like that. I have the same skin colour too. He's not intentionally making himself look green.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Didn't Johnny have mono not to long ago. That may be the reason his skin color is looking a little pale.

janka

Rinkside
I say bring back camille and the icicle on coke!!

Ant

Second that!!!!

This lp costume is so off. Being naturally pale is one thing but this costume simply doesn't help, he looks even more pale in it, also it doesn't show his body line like his prevoius costumes did and I miss that.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Second that!!!!

This lp costume is so off. Being naturally pale is one thing but this costume simply doesn't help, he looks even more pale in it, also it doesn't show his body line like his prevoius costumes did and I miss that.

That's very true about teh colouring of his costume - if he's decided to ditch the make up/fake tan then why chose a costume that washes you out? And i agree about either costume not showing off his lines which is one of his greatest advantages over his competitors.

Ant

janka

Rinkside
I'm thinking that Marina got a say not only in his choreography. This costume reminds me those she and Gwendal had in 2002 Libreta fs, and I was not fond of those. Also it makes me think of Matt Savoie lp costume from last season, only diffrent colors but the idea is generally the same (and I don't think Matt looked good in it either).
There must have been some serious talking about all that changes because Johnny said somewhere he really liked costumes that were showing off his body line and also that was one of his advantages.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
This is not meant as a bash against the top three finishers, but I just viewed a photo of the podium trio and I think they all looked like they were dressed for a halloween party.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I'm sorry. All costumes look like Halloween's if you think that way. That is why it's called "costume".

patinaj

Spectator
i really liked johnny's costume while he was skating. he did not have that thing on his head while skating. but on the close ups from the podium he did look bizzare. as for lambiel's costume, i already decided it's bad , when i saw it last year.
but the podium pictures make all three men look a lot worse than they looked on the ice, while performing their programs.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First of all, Johnny was using a facial tanner all last season. Apparently he has ditched it this season, so he looks pale by comparison. His paleness is accentuated by the lights and the upward reflection of the lights from the ice.

janka

Rinkside
Well, costumes should fit the music and they are not to be worn in every day life, that for sure, but it's not said anywhere that they should be ugly, not elegant and make skaters look bad in them. Those for Haloween are supposed to be scary, and I don't think that's the idea skaters have in mind while designing them or wearing them;)

janka

Rinkside
His paleness is accentuated by the lights and the upward reflection of the lights from the ice.

That goes also for everybody else.

Whether somebody is naturally pale or not is one thing (and it's not bad) but whether the paliness is underlined by his costume is another (and that's bad).