Slutskaya announces retirement | Golden Skate

Slutskaya announces retirement

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Her agent, Ari Zakarian, just phoned me to say that the article first published in Russia yesterday, stating that Irina has retired, is NOT true.

I told him that at her age - turning I believe 28 in January - that most people would assume she has retired anyway - especially as she has skipped this season. But, Ari was resolute that she has not retired, that it was an authorized phone conversation with a journalist that was taken out of context, and that she may very well compete next season. Of course I candidly told him that it would be a stretch for a skater to compete at her age next season - especially after a year off - but he specifically asked that I post on the sites discussing her retirement to say on his behalf that it was not yet official - and may indeed be premature.

I think it would be best if Irina conducted an authorized interview in the coming days to set the record straight definitively, one way or the other, regarding her future plans.

Thanks.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Her agent, Ari Zakarian, just phoned me to say that the article first published in Russia yesterday, stating that Irina has retired, is NOT true.

I told him that at her age - turning I believe 28 in January

Her Birthday is published as the 9th of February. I hope that is not true - retirement - waiting for the updates to this one.

Fossi

Final Flight
Was the interview done in English? I know sometimes her Engilsh interview are taken out of context. Poor Irina. What a horrible rumor to be spread.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
No, it was done in Russian with a Russian journalist that her agent is not happy with, LOL. Whatever her decision is....or may be in the future....ending an enormous career is usually not done during a casual phone call with a reporter, or without the agent or coach's input. In other words, an off-the-record conversation may have been put into print.

I told Ari that even I doubted Irina would ever return at her age next season - she would already be 28 - and turn 29 mid-season next year. But if and when she does formally retire, obviously "Camp Slutskaya" would hope to do it with more fanfare - and the input and knowledge of her agent, coach and federation - before making an announcement. I think we all recall the beautiful official retirement Alexei Yagudin made at Skate Canada years ago - touching, heartfelt, and a truly historical event. Of course there were rumblings for one year that he was retiring - and most assumed it was a fait accompli, but when you are as big as Alexei -and Irina - you don't usually end a record-breaking career during a casual phone call. In other words, the retirement announcement itself becomes an event.

It's sort of like when certain skaters say to you off-the-record "I'm getting married" or "I'm getting divorced" or "I'm gay" or whatever it is...you don't run and put it into an article unless they - and their "people" are ready to go with it as their "official statement". I'm not saying you have to do it that way, but it certainly makes for more long-lasting contacts and relationships in the biz, LOL.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Thanks for that info Zanzibar. OT do you know anything about her recording that song as just a matter of interest? Haven't heard for months about it.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Sorry - don't know anything about the song - but it appears that as a host (with Plushenko) on the celebrity skating show she has done a great job.

Running Irina's name through Google news a few minutes ago, it's up on almost every major news source from ESPN to CNN that she has retired - all using that original article from Russia - so I think her team may have a hard time putting the 'genie back into the bottle' so to speak.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
really? It's all over the major news outlets. If ESPN is reporting it I would have assumed it was true. But I wouldn't be surprised if she was contemplating doing so. And where was the quote that she's "had enough" come from? Surely it wasn't made up.

R.D.

Record Breaker
yes it does. Thanks for posting that. And this confirms the rumour false.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Russian journalists have frequently created "quotes" that are either entirely made up - or - a compilation of quotes from other articles they've strung together in an entirely new meaning. Of course, the serious sports journalists in Russia don't do this - it happens more along the tabloid lines. What is interesting - and I'll admit somewhat depressing, LOL, to me - is that in Russia these skaters are such huge skaters that they warrant to much news coverage and tabloid activity. Here in the US most major news outlets don't give a 'rusty hoot' about skaters, and especially not of the Russian variety, unfortunately. I only wish skating could command that kind of attention on this side of the Atlantic.

I was very relieved to hear AP basically print a retraction story today - and it should tell people how lame the news business can be. One single inaccurate and unverified story can get published on a newspaper website in Russia....and all major US news sources jump on the bandwagon from the New York Times to ESPN. Sad. Along a similar vein is when you Google results from skating events - and you see the same identical story over and over and over again because most news sources would rather just provide a news wire story produced for mass consumption than actually write their own. Okay - I'll jump down off that soapbox now and grab a snack, lol.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Unfortunately, it's hard to trust Russian media. This story about Irina is at least probably close to the truth. However, just remember when it was all over the news that Totmianina and Vasiliev were getting married. I translated the article myself, and it came complete with quotes from Tatiana, Maxim, and Oleg. Turns out there was no truth to it. Now that journalist I'd like to see sued...

R.D.

Record Breaker
So I suppose misinformation like that is a problem in Russia? Seems it would become widespread since the world is so connected now. Just like this rumour spread to U.S. newspapers and news outlets (I don't know about other countries).

Ptichka, is there anything to the rumor that Plushenko has left his wife and is carrying on with Totmianina?

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Unfortunately, it's hard to trust Russian media. This story about Irina is at least probably close to the truth. However, just remember when it was all over the news that Totmianina and Vasiliev were getting married. I translated the article myself, and it came complete with quotes from Tatiana, Maxim, and Oleg. Turns out there was no truth to it. Now that journalist I'd like to see sued...

Yes, but it was mainly true - Totmianina and Vasiliev were seriously involved for a couple of years as a romantic couple. I interviewed her myself and she never denied for publication her longstanding relationship with Oleg, just the part that they were engaged.

I do agree with you that the possibility exists that Irina may have said something like that to the reporter, but it was not meant for public consumption. Or perhaps they never spoke and the entire conversation was a figment of the reporter's mind. What I've come to learn in this business is that where there is smoke...there is often fire. Many rumors - no matter how outrageous they sound initially - or how contrary to the person's public personality they seem - are indeed....quite often true. But there is also an unwritten etiquette - at least in the US - that those things don't get disclosed, verified, or published. I think the Russian media is a bit more salacious in that respect, when it comes to the often drama-filled sex lives of athletes. But hey - I'm not saying that's a bad thing, LOL!

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the story is basically true, but Irina is not ready to make that final announcement. When she is ready, SHE wants to make the announcement herself, publicly. That's why she is denying it now.

You can't blame her---it's her career, and she should be the one to say she's retiring.

The US media is not announcing Kwan's retirement until Kwan says it herself---in public.

Quesera

Spectator

I was wondering why she made the announcement (according to the false article) without first informing her coach. Since she apparently never actually said she was retiring, that explains it!

And I was so excited, originally, to have been the first one to post the exciting news! Sorry for the misinformation.