Mira Leung and Her New Coach | Golden Skate

Mira Leung and Her New Coach

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Just read an interesting passage on the Ice Skating International site about Mira Leung and her coach during the FS warmup at Skate Canada. Basically it said that Mira and her coach didn't speak to each other at all. Before, during, and after the skate there were no words from her coach. Here's the link:

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/current/content/sk8can06.htm

Since I haven't seen a clip of her skate, does anyone have any insight? I know that Mira has the most bizarre technique. I've also read that Mira's mother is in the mold of Suzanne Bonaly - trying to coach her daughter without any skating expertise whatsoever. Jennifer Leung will take Mira anywhere they can find ice time and work on jumps without a coach while she wears a helmet - which probably accounts for the weird technique. It's kind of sad because Mira seems to be a hard worker, but if she isn't listening to her coach or taking any kind of direction from her coach then she will never fix the poor technique and could fall off the National team.

Also, what kind of coach would just sit there at a competition and not give any kind of encouragement or advice?

I admit I am not a fan of Mira, but this just strikes me as bizarre.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

lotusland

On the Ice
There are all kinds of reasons why that might have happened:
1) Maybe McBeth was p.o.'d with Mira (and her support team) for not taking instruction, and decided to let the kid have at it on her own.
2) Perhaps McBeth is just a "coach for the record" as opposed to being a coach who actually coaches, works with, and develops the skater.
3) Maybe Mira prefers to just focus on her own and not take any last minute correction or instruction. According to a quote from Joanne McLeod over the weekend, "Mira always shows up at competition ready to go." If that's the case, perhaps she wants to do things on her own.
4) Or maybe there is no bond between the coach and skater at this point in time.

Anyway you call it, I agree, it is werd they didn't interact at all, according to those who watched the practices as well as what we all saw at competition. Different strokes for different folks as they say.;)

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think McBeth is just the 'coach for the record' and has no hand whatsoever in Mira's training. Mira's mother is her real coach. The end result is Mira will never improve her technique or her presentation and she will find herself permanently in the second to third tier of skaters with no hope of advancement.

Surya Bonaly had her mother for a coach and never learned to use her edges. That kept her from ever becoming World Champion or winning an Olympic medal. But Surya had much more natural talent than Mira and Surya's jumps were terrific. Mira's jumps have terrible takeoff technique and she is constantly dinged for underrotation. The rest of Mira's skating (spins, spirals and footwork) is meh. Her posture is terrible and she has no relationship with her music.

She is using the same programs this year as she did last year (her former coach, Joanne McLeod, choreographed them for Mira). She can't keep repeating those same two programs for the rest of her career. I guess Mama Leung hasn't taken over the choregraphy duties yet.

I don't know where Mira will find a choreographer to design new programs for her. It took the Leungs all summer to find a coach willing to front for Mama Leung. I don't know how many choreographers will be willing to put their name on a program that is likely doomed to be changed by a closet coach with no skating credentials whatever.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Actually Mira did an outstanding job at Skate Canada, despite the fact she needs new skates - her old boots were held together with tape. She skated her long program very well and that was right after Jennifer laid down her next to perfect program. One thing about Mira, she is a fighter and she is determined. Tracy Wilson says that Mira's new coach has helped her improve in her arm technique. I think people here are too quick to judge her and want to put her down. I like her and I think she will improve each step of the way. She is a hard worker and dedicated to her sport. I am sure she is getting used to having a new coach and that will take time to establish a rapport. She is only seventeen. Mira does not come from a privileged family by the looks of it so naturally it's going to be a struggle for her financially to continue to compete. She is not wearing Vera Wang costumes like some of her American competitors. However, she is a solid skater and her goal is to make it to the 2010 Olympics. I say "go girl!":clap:

Kasey

Medalist
Actually Mira did an outstanding job at Skate Canada, despite the fact she needs new skates - her old boots were held together with tape. She skated her long program very well and that was right after Jennifer laid down her next to perfect program. One thing about Mira, she is a fighter and she is determined. Tracy Wilson says that Mira's new coach has helped her improve in her arm technique. I think people here are too quick to judge her and want to put her down. I like her and I think she will improve each step of the way. She is a hard worker and dedicated to her sport. I am sure she is getting used to having a new coach and that will take time to establish a rapport. She is only seventeen. Mira does not come from a privileged family by the looks of it so naturally it's going to be a struggle for her financially to continue to compete. She is not wearing Vera Wang costumes like some of her American competitors. However, she is a solid skater and her goal is to make it to the 2010 Olympics. I say "go girl!":clap:

Um, who's Jennifer?

And you know what? She doesn't have to wear Vera wang. But if you're going to be competing at a senior international level, don't wear BLACK mid-calf socks under your tights; or tights with a hole in them; or granny panties that creep out from under her costume...ALL of which occured in the same program. Mira looks sloppy, her jump technique is sloppy, and there are no signs of it getting better.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Ladskater I usually stick up for Canadian skaters but in this instance I have to agree somewhat with Kasey. Skating is not all about just the skating portion, it is the whole package and I just don't see that Mira has it. My daughter, who is a skater, even commented on her dress and asked why she wasn't wearing any make up. She said, "You are suppose to look pretty for your skate". A nine year old girl pointed that out. I admire Mira's hard work and determination but make yourself pretty and put together. The rule is that you come to your competition prepared. Your hair is done, your make up on, a pretty dress, skates cleaned and polished, and definately no holes in your tights. I know this is an expensive sport but there is a certain standard that you may want to maintain.

Her skate at Skate Canada was okay. She was solid but I'm telling you when you are watching it on television at home she does not look pretty. When she goes into some of her jumps it just looks like she is going to touch the ice with her arms. Her tecnique must be fixed.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skaters should consider that when they go out on the ice to compete, the ice is their stage. Makeup is very important because the glare of the lights on the ice tends to wash out facial expression.

No actress in her right mind would go out on the stage to perform a part with no makeup, and no figure skater should go out on the ice barefaced, either.

emma

Record Breaker
I agree the Mira needs better presentation (and i mean tights, make-up etc). I do think that there need be some room here in what kind of self-presentation, but looking polished via a number of different styles (from more simple and 'natural' to more done-up and made-up) is possible.

I read a little about the Mira situation on FSU and the main point there was not so much against Mira - everyone seemed to want her to do well and improve, but rather expressing concern that her mother was stiffling this possibility. I am the first to get worried about 'blaming the mom,' as it seems like one of many gender double standards we deploy willy nilly in the US; however, I do hope that Mira's team, including mom, are really considering the positive criticism and really considering what may be in Mira's best interests for growth.

nadster

Final Flight
I agree with some of the points. Some factors to consider.

Makeup is tricky because you have to consider the skater's skin type and any allergies she may have. In Canada companies are not required to list ingredients on cosmetic products . Words like hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic mean nothing. I know because I have personally broken out with products with those labels ( which supposedly are safer for sensitive types).

Yes makeup helps but there is a trial and error process to finding what works with your skin type especially when there is no ingredient list to help you avoid those ingredients that may irritate your skin.

That said, there is no excuse for dirty looking skates ( cover them up or use a white polish at least ) , panties showing ( even a french-cut brief under the dress would get rid of that problem) , or the sad excuse of a hair cut she has. Holes in tights are also inexcusable.

Hopefully Mira's mother is not the type who insists on no makeup at all until 18. Although I do have a feeling she is exactly that type of mother. A have a feeling she might also think that Mira can only wear granny briefs. I wouldn't want to wear the briefs that I saw peeking underneath Mira's dress ( way too old fashioned and unflattering under just about anything).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mira doesn't have to wear heavy makeup to look more adult on the ice. She needs very little in the way of foundation because she isn't super-pale. Maybe a little blusher, lipstick (please!), mascara and a touch of eyeliner. Her eyebrows could definitely benefit from the deft use of a tweezer.

Mira turns 18 in March, but not until Worlds 2007 is over. So if Mira's mother is prohibiting the use of cosmetics until Mira is 18, the fact is it is possible that we will never see Mira appropriately costumed and made up at a Worlds competition. Sooner or later, another Canadian skater (Cynthia Phaneuf or a new star) will emerge to supplant Mira as the #2 Ladies skater in Canada.

IndieBoi

On the Ice
I like Mira but I agree the girl needs a make-over. Getting rid of the girl-stache would be a good start.

gio

Medalist
I don't say she has to wear rich dresses or a perfect make-up! But at least a decent hair cut, no holes in the tights and please no girl staches! She has to improve, because also the presentation is important. She can't compete looking this messy.

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
When you see her in the kiss and cry, it looks as if she's wearing make-up. The blush is noticeable (and no, I don't think she's just flushed from her skate). I agree she isn't the best made-up gal out there, but I think her on-ice presentation is more important to improve. Michelle Kwan spent her early years without make-up, and was able to get into the top-five at Worlds. (I realize she did better in '96 with make-up, but I don't think that got her the World title.)

Lad, from what Tracy Wilson was saying on CTV, Mira is wearing skates held by tape because she loves that pair, not because she doesn't have new ones.

dutchherder

Final Flight
Does anyone have a picture of this slovenly presentation? I guess I can't picture her in my head, and I did a Google image search of her, but the pictures there didn't make her look sloppy....

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you see her in the kiss and cry, it looks as if she's wearing make-up. The blush is noticeable (and no, I don't think she's just flushed from her skate). I agree she isn't the best made-up gal out there, but I think her on-ice presentation is more important to improve.

I think the blush IS from the exercise. Most skaters look 'pink' in the KNC from their exertions.

Improving Mira's presentation could take 10 months or longer, but It would take a makeup artist (or one of the other skaters) less than 10 minutes to improve Mira's look. This isn't a one-or-the-other choice. She COULD improve her looks (and yes, that includes her hair) while working on presentation.

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
I don't think that Mira needs to have a "made-up" look but rather a neat polished appearance.

Getting rid of the excess facial hair ( makeup can't really work with facial hair in the way) is a start. Then even just evening out skin tones ( a tinted moisturizer can do that) and a little lipstick will work wonders.

Then a good hair do , a properly fitted dress appropriate to the music, proper undergarments ( no granny briefs please ), tights in good condition and polished boots with clean laces will finish off the polished look.

The figure skating universe forum has a similar thread and there are posts that state that Skate Canada does give Mira lessons in makeup application and how to dress on and off ice. She obviously has not followed that advice.

I am very convinced ( based on what I have heard) that Mira's mother will not allow Mira to wear makeup at all until she is 18.

Unfortunately I personally know other parents who set the same rules for their daughters. Usually those parents went to high schools in other countries where wearing any makeup at all in high school was considered cause for expulsion from school ( even if they were wearing the regulation uniform). So they tend to think , if I did it, my daughter can do without too.

I hope that Mira will run far away from her mother when she turns 18.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mira will not run away from her mother when she is 18. She has been too thoroughly brainwashed.

chania36

On the Ice
I have seen her skate last year at Nationals because it is only 2miles from my home and I've seen her better then that the past season, she had make up on, very little but she did, and when I saw her on T.V over the week end at Skate Canada, I was just talking to myself, and said What happend to her ??? because she looked so out of shape, out of herself, she was just not the same, even I said to myself, she look so sad and upset, just not in a good mood... I felt that she was just very unhappy... Maybe with the new coach it does not goes like she wanted, maybe she miss her past coach, I dont know, but the main feeling I had was just that she looked just like she was not enjoying herself...

Usually when we would see her in the Kiss and Cry, she is always smilling, she has a joyfull personality, When I saw her last year for Nationals, we could see the top 3 girls for authographs and she was so nice and great personality and now I feel for her because she is not herself right now, I just hope that she will find her nice smile back... Although I do not like her jump's technique, that yes she needs some sort of help to upgrade her appearance.... I just feel for her, it is just so sad, to see her so happy and bubblely one year and then the next year, looking so out of it...

I just wish her the best and that we will see a more improve girl in the competions to come.. She has great potential,,, but need some help in the polish of almost every aspect of skating....