Mira Leung and Her New Coach | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mira Leung and Her New Coach

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
They are showing Mira's performance on ESPN right now (I'm shocked they are showing it). You can see the granny panties sticking out in some of her spins!!!! :sheesh: :scratch: :indiff:

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
You know, given the fact that Mrs. Leung seems, by many or all accounts, to be rather a -- er -- strict disciplinarian of sorts -- I somehow think that if Mira were to leave the house to go to the mall with her underwear showing, she would hit the absolute uprights, yet it seems to be perfectly OK for her to show it to an international television audience.

However, let us be grateful that, though we shouldn't be seeing it, at least she's got it on. One does not need to sit through a repeat of Shizuka's infamous half-moon performances en route to her World title in 04.

As for dirty boots. NO. It is ONE thing if you are an up and coming junior from a federation that's operating, so to speak, on a shoestring, and even an established senior from a less then wealthy country can, to a point, be forgiven for this. But she's from CANADA, for heaven's sake, one of the top skating nations in the world; it's just tacky. Maybe she figured if Kira Ivanova can win an Olympic bronze with dirty skates, so can she.

passion

On the Ice
redhotcoach. Last year at the Canadians banquet said:
Reminds me of the February issue of Stlye magazine. There are absolutely stunning photos of MK. Yes, she is 25, but even when she was Mira's age she was much more well put together. She has a lot of grace on and off the ice. Anyhow, as I was looking at photos of MK, I was thinking how she makes such a good representative for her country and USFSA. I cannot at the present moment see Mira being Canada's pride and joy as well. Somehow, she looks the polish, the grace, the style both on and off the ice that one might expect from a skater representing the country at the Olympics.

Last edited:

passion

On the Ice
Really? I didn't know that. This decision was weird, because it is important for a kid to attend school. I think that it should be compulsory for kids to go to school, because IMO it is a good experience. There is a big difference between studying at school or at home.

Actually, she has been home-chooled since grade 2. Her mom allowed her to do grade 1 in French immersion and then was able to control her more by pulling her out of school.

Whew, I wouldn't want to have the anti-Mira league after me. She'll do fine -- or she won't. I wish her well, as I do any of these young athletes. Let's see what happens, come Canadian Nationals.

orchid

On the Ice
I've read at the Fsuniverse that Mira doesn't travel with the team even if Skate Canada pays the hotel and the flight. She travels with her mother and share a room with her mother, refusing the offering from Skate Canada. It is also written that she comes to the events already prepared, so she doesn't have to change dresses at the rink.
Why? It's really strange.

I really tried not to comment on this, but when I read the statement above, I think of Tonya H and this makes me sad. I hope that a parent, a mature person, would guide this talented skater to be as good as she can be. If Mira is the stubborn one, sobeit.

I did not see the tear in the tights, but things can happen backstage. We should not be so judgemental to assume that Mira is a slovenly person. She is a pretty girl and whether or not she wore make-up would not make her skate any better or worse.

I resent the implication that any woman/girl requires make-up to be a better performer, or be better received by the skating judges, audiences or in public.

I liked her skating at SC. She seems to have reduced the 'back pumping' movements prior to the jumps.

I wish her well .

passion

On the Ice
I resent the implication that any woman/girl requires make-up to be a better performer, or be better received by the skating judges, audiences or in public.

Unfortunately, this is the hard reality of a sport such as figure skating which is very image based. I think a person who chooses to get into competitive figure skating has to accept that reality or don't join. I know, it sounds very harsh but that's the reality.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did not see the tear in the tights, but things can happen backstage. We should not be so judgemental to assume that Mira is a slovenly person.

There was a hole in the tights that were pulled down over her skates. And this was not the first time she has competed in torn tights and dirty skates. From what I have read, Mira comes to each competition fully dressed in her costume and tights. So she knows what condition her tights are in before she leaves the hotel.

She is a pretty girl and whether or not she wore make-up would not make her skate any better or worse

A figure skating event is as much a stage entertainment as it is a competition. Because the audience and the judges are seated fairly far away from the performers, some makeup is necessary so that the features of the skater (and any facial expressions that go into the musical interpretation) are not lost because of distance and the glare of the lights reflecting off the ice.

I liked her skating at SC. She seems to have reduced the 'back pumping' movements prior to the jumps.

Mira drops her shoulders and arms going into the jumps, while turning her head at an odd angle. That looks very awkward, even ugly, and it detracts from her presentation.

gio

Medalist
I really tried not to comment on this, but when I read the statement above, I think of Tonya H and this makes me sad. I hope that a parent, a mature person, would guide this talented skater to be as good as she can be. If Mira is the stubborn one, sobeit.

I did not see the tear in the tights, but things can happen backstage. We should not be so judgemental to assume that Mira is a slovenly person. She is a pretty girl and whether or not she wore make-up would not make her skate any better or worse.

I wish her well .

First of all I don't understand why are you talking about Tonya Harding. She was the exception of FS. I don't think that if for once Mira travels just with her coach and not with her mother she'll become Tonya Harding 2.

I'm NOT against Mira and I don't have anything against her! When she understand that the artistic presentation is important, I'll be happy for her! I just make suggestions for her!

The point is that they're called LADIES and not tomboys. This means that they should look good. And this was always important in the entire skating history. Just look at some photos (Or vids, if you find it) of Sonja Henie, Barbara Ann Scott, Peggy Fleming... They won first because they were good skaters and as a second factor they won and they were popular because they were femenine and polished. And they were always good girls.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
The point is that they're called LADIES and not tomboys. This means that they should look good. And this was always important in the entire skating history. Just look at some photos (Or vids, if you find it) of Sonja Henie, Barbara Ann Scott, Peggy Fleming... They won first because they were good skaters and as a second factor they won and they were popular because they were femenine and polished. And they were always good girls.

Well then let's get them all dressed up in old victorian dresses skating round the rink.

If you take your logic then should the men actually dress like men and not swans, or strange hybrid Parrot Zebras??? They're all costumes for crying out loud!! If Mira and/or mother want MIra to go out on teh ice wearing granny pants and no make up then that's a choice she should be allowed to make without being called a tomboy or not a lady. Wearing ripped tights and dirty skates is totally different. Honestly after reading all of these comments i looked up some pictures of her and anyone would think the bearded lady had been out on the ice from teh comments i've seen...she is a pretty looking girl, from the pictures i saw i didn't see the duct tape skates or particularly noticeable holes in her tights...and the granny pants? Don't know about you grandmonther's but mine wear undeisthat are much bigger than that!!
Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Mira and/or mother want MIra to go out on teh ice wearing granny pants and no make up then that's a choice she should be allowed to make without being called a tomboy or not a lady.

Wearing ripped tights and dirty skates is totally different. Honestly after reading all of these comments i looked up some pictures of her and anyone would think the bearded lady had been out on the ice from teh comments i've seen...she is a pretty looking girl, from the pictures i saw i didn't see the duct tape skates or particularly noticeable holes in her tights...and the granny pants? Ant

I saw her skate on the ESPN broadcast last night, and I would not exactly call Mira "pretty". Her unkempt bangs and the no-makeup look made her appear to be an old 10-year-old, but of course she does not have the body of a 10-year-old.

As to the skates, in the pictures I have seen you don't notice the dirt. But during the broadcast, you could see that the area under the laces was a dirty dark gray and it stood out because she has white tape all over the rest of the skates (from what I have heard, it is to hold the old boots together).

Most skaters will use torn or holey tights during practices on the home rink, and will bring only intact tights with them to competitions.

Mira can wear granny-patterned panties if she likes, but then she should wear OPAQUE tights, not see-through nylon ones.

If Mira was just representing herself on the ice, then I would agree she should be allowed to look any way she wants. But she is representing CANADA. Skate Canada is funding her skating, and they give her enough money to be appropriately dressed, coiffed and made up when she competes.

It's obvious that Mira and her mother don't think hair, makeup and costuming are that important. At the same time, Mira complains about her low PCS scores. You would think that she might consider upgrading her appearance just to see if it made a difference.

As to the hybrid parrot zebra shirt, it didn't look dirty or ripped to me, and it wasn't inappropriately cut. Personal taste is one thing, underwear blatantly showing another.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
What I find the most interesting and distressing thing of all is that those with the harshest and nastiest statements about this young athele's appearance (and not her skating mind you...) are male posters. And then we wonder how so many young women end up with self esteem, eating, performance issues... oh well... one day we'll learn...

What I find the most interesting and distressing thing of all is that those with the harshest and nastiest statements about this young athele's appearance (and not her skating mind you...) are male posters. And then we wonder how so many young women end up with self esteem, eating, performance issues... oh well... one day we'll learn...
Plus, there is a double double standard going on here, in my opinion. We vigorously defend the right of male figure skaters to prance about in any kind of get-up, but heaven forbid that a lady skater comes off as insufficiently "feminine."

How dare she show up at a banquet in pants instead of a flowing gown, with that butch haircut?

antmanb

Record Breaker
Plus, there is a double double standard going on here, in my opinion. We vigorously defend the right of male figure skaters to prance about in any kind of get-up, but heaven forbid that a lady skater comes off as insufficiently "feminine."

How dare she show up at a banquet in pants instead of a flowing gown, with that butch haircut?

Exactly! That was why i was outraged at the poster that said she should look like a lady given that its the "ladies" competition. That's just rubbish.

Ant