Mira Leung and Her New Coach | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Mira Leung and Her New Coach

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
How dare she show up at a banquet in pants instead of a flowing gown, with that butch haircut?
I thought the gist of the criticism was that she was too informal, like wearing jeans to church. Had she shown up in a black velvet or tailored wool jacket over dressy pants with her hair out of her face, I don't think there would have been so much criticism.

gio

Medalist
Exactly! That was why i was outraged at the poster that said she should look like a lady given that its the "ladies" competition. That's just rubbish.

Ant

I don't say of anyone's opinion that it is rubbish. I don't offend anyone (I didn't offened Mira, because I would like her all the best results). I just don't want that she looks so sloppy. And I thought that tomboy isn't an offense, so if it is I say sorry.
And you are so outraged because I said that it is a lady competition. Yes, the fact is that it is a lady competition.
This is my opinion and you won't change it, even if you are outraged.

gio

Medalist
Well then let's get them all dressed up in old victorian dresses skating round the rink.

:rofl: :chorus: Sarcastic smile!! Why do you have to attack me if I would like that Mira will be like Barbara Ann Scott or Peggy Fleming. It isn't an offense to Mira. It is just a suggestion!
This is my opinion and if I like femenine ladies, I don't understand why are you so "outraged". I didn't say that she should dress like a ho##er!

If you take your logic then should the men actually dress like men and not swans, or strange hybrid Parrot Zebras???

Exactly!

Don't know about you grandmonther's but mine wear undeisthat are much bigger than that!!

I have a grandmother that wears fashion dresses!!! ;)

gio

Medalist
Anyway this was my last post in the Mira topic, because I don't wanna seem an anti-Mira or a person that wants to bash a skater. Mine was just a suggestion! If people understand in another way, that's another thing!

passion

On the Ice
Mira has a lot of improvements to make in regards to her image that she portrays on the ice. Her apparent inattention to details such as not getting rid of excess upper lip hair, hair style, make-up, tatty old skates and tights, pink with black flowers underwear showing just does not make a good impression on judges. Every top medal senior competitor I have seen has never shown up that way. I also think a person showing up like that is a poor representative of her country and federation. It's like showing up to a job interview. There are no excuses, not even age.

Now, if she shows up at the next competiton well put together under Joanne's guidance, I will be so happy for her because then she will have a chance at catching up with some of the other senior international competitors. I am sure she will be looking very poised and polished at nationals.

I will be so happy for her...
Somehow, I am not not getting the impression that you would.

If you click on a person's username, then on "find more posts by," you can get a pretty good notion of what that poster's agenda is.

passion

On the Ice
Somehow, I am not not getting the impression that you would.

If you click on a person's username, then on "find more posts by," you can get a pretty good notion of what that poster's agenda is.

And why would you be so interested or even care?

Gwendolyn

Rinkside
Plus, there is a double double standard going on here, in my opinion. We vigorously defend the right of male figure skaters to prance about in any kind of get-up, but heaven forbid that a lady skater comes off as insufficiently "feminine."

How dare she show up at a banquet in pants instead of a flowing gown, with that butch haircut?

Perhaps "feminine" was the wrong word. I think she doesn't have to be a girlie girl out there, but she has to appear decent and presentable. Unfortunatley, to her, "presentable" seems to mean presenting underwear to the general viewing public.

I come from an Asian family and my parents were very strict re: make up. I didn't start wearing it until university. So I can see very well that maybe her parents won't let her wear make up, even competing.

HOWEVER, if they have been advised by SC to wear make up and appear presentable at elite international competitions, then they can't complain later about their lack of success. They have been given advice on how to improve and consistently refuse to heed it. In that case, they have no one to blame but themselves.

No one hates Mira. I think everyone is frustrated because she is such a little spitfire and can move ahead much more if she JUST put a little effort into her appearance. Debating whether or not she should be required to put in the effort is besides the point, because it is a fact of life, and more so in skating, that her appearance can affect her results and they have already been advised by the governing body that funds her skating.

Not to mention that by not working with proper coaches, she will regress instead of progess.

I personally think SC should separate Mira from her mom, and soon. I know legally they can't, but I think they should stick her in a skating school by herself, with other skaters her age, so she can be exposed to the social evironment she seems to have been deprived of.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been looking at the US Regionals videos and was very impressed with how all the laides looked. And this was a lower-level US competition, not an international, and very few if any of these ladies were receiving funding from the USFS. Among even the Novice ladies, I did not see one that was overly made up or was inappropriately dressed. They all seemed to know that it was important to be neatly coiffed and well-groomed.

It's hard to understand, after all the years Mira's been in competition, she hasn't realized that she's the odd one out.

And why would you be so interested or even care?
Because it is the responsibility of the moderators to enforce the rules of the forum. One of these rules prohibits the bashing of skaters, which is defined in the guidelines to include excessive and persistent negative comments, true or not.

orchid

On the Ice
First of all I don't understand why are you talking about Tonya Harding. She was the exception of FS. I don't think that if for once Mira travels just with her coach and not with her mother she'll become Tonya Harding 2.

gio, just for you.

I am sure you can recall that Tonya H also shunned the skating community AND did her own thing, shoddy costumes, bad hair, self-directed behaviour and all the rest of it.

You quick assumption that I meant Mira would follow all the outlaw misteps of the original Tonya, is presumptious of my post. Anyone who was actually around during Tonya's amateur skating days and which followed skating, knows exactly what I meant.

Regards

The Hardings weren't exactly like flowing with money. and don't forget, she came from the proverbial 'wrong side of the tracks'.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's been pointed out Mira came to competition practices (at the venue) in a baggy T-shirt and pants with lots of holes in them. I could understand wearing old clothes at one's home rink, but not at an event practice where the judges come to watch.

Already the judges are getting a negative image even before the competition starts!

I have seen videos and photos of various skaters at practice before the GP events, and they are all neatly dressed in presentable garb. Except Mira.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I thought the gist of the criticism was that she was too informal, like wearing jeans to church.

If that's the best one has to offer, then it's the best thing to wear... church, skating function, or otherwise...

antmanb

Record Breaker
I don't say of anyone's opinion that it is rubbish. I don't offend anyone (I didn't offened Mira, because I would like her all the best results). I just don't want that she looks so sloppy. And I thought that tomboy isn't an offense, so if it is I say sorry.
And you are so outraged because I said that it is a lady competition. Yes, the fact is that it is a lady competition.
This is my opinion and you won't change it, even if you are outraged.

No you misunderstood my outrage!!!

I was not outraged that you called it the ladies competition i was outraged that you said that ladies in the competition should look like ladies. A particular pet peeve of mine is people enforcing their social norms about both gender and gender identity and sexuality!

I reserve my right to be outraged by people's opinions and call them rubbish too! :agree:

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mira has a lot of improvements to make in regards to her image that she portrays on the ice. Her apparent inattention to details such as not getting rid of excess upper lip hair, hair style, make-up, tatty old skates and tights, pink with black flowers underwear showing just does not make a good impression on judges. Every top medal senior competitor I have seen has never shown up that way. I also think a person showing up like that is a poor representative of her country and federation. It's like showing up to a job interview. There are no excuses, not even age.

Now, if she shows up at the next competiton well put together under Joanne's guidance, I will be so happy for her because then she will have a chance at catching up with some of the other senior international competitors. I am sure she will be looking very poised and polished at nationals.

Oh of course silly me - facial hair on lady (whcih incidentally i don't see on the pictures i've seen of her, maybe in person its more distracting) is something that should not be allowed and makes someone wholly unsuitable to represent their country!! What a preposterous idea. Do you object to men with facial hair as well?

Perhaps more of the ladies should have boob jobs or teeth whitenings before they're also allowed to represent their country?

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Perhaps "feminine" was the wrong word. I think she doesn't have to be a girlie girl out there, but she has to appear decent and presentable. Unfortunatley, to her, "presentable" seems to mean presenting underwear to the general viewing public.

I come from an Asian family and my parents were very strict re: make up. I didn't start wearing it until university. So I can see very well that maybe her parents won't let her wear make up, even competing.

HOWEVER, if they have been advised by SC to wear make up and appear presentable at elite international competitions, then they can't complain later about their lack of success. They have been given advice on how to improve and consistently refuse to heed it. In that case, they have no one to blame but themselves.

The family may also be advised that giving the judges sexual favours will also result in increased marks for Mira, but again, if the family choose to not heed that advise and pimp their daughter out to the judges then the have no-one to blame but themselves.

This is just ridiculous, make up isn't in the PCS mark, if the judges are swayed by it then that's a very sorry state of affairs and i despair of this sport even more. While i personally have no problem with girls wearing make up for skating, i can see how a strict family might feel about it, i might not agree with it but that is their choice to make.

In my opinion its not MIra's lack of make up holding her back, its what she's doing on the ice and not jimproving her presentation.

Ant

Linny

Final Flight
Middle ground

There may, indeed, be a middle ground on this that Mira can find. She does seem determined to be an athlete like any other athlete. The athletes in other sports don't wear make-up, why should she? Or clean their boots...

At the same time, figure skating is a subjective sport. Can't get around that. So Mira would have to be spot on with every other aspect - get all her points on the technical side - to overcome those subjective points and come out on top.

So she may have to, at some point, make up her mind. Thus far, she's been successful enough to get an assignment at Skate Canada. Maybe she doesn't see a need to change her style... yet. If she wants to take the next step, she might consider it. Maybe she doesn't want it that much.

Linny

Kathleen

Rinkside
I saw this thread the other day, but didn't comment since I had never seen this girl skate before. On Sunday, I watched the tape of Skate Canada, and was looking forward to seeing this young girl from Canada who people were talking about.

I was stunned at what I saw. First and foremost, what struck me was her technique. All I could think of was "get this girl a coach who has to start from scratch and re-teach the basics". Of course, the technique on the jumps...but even her stroking......sigh. I don't know much about the depth of Canada's senior ladies, but this is their #2 lady??

So, from a skating perspective, I was not impressed at all. When I saw her in the kiss & cry, I did notice that she wasn't wearing any make-up and thought that was odd....Then here I am this morning, and I read the replies here. I didn't see the underwear, or the tights or boots when I saw the tape the first time. As a former skater myself, we were always taught that when you come to a competition, you are prepared...on the ice and off. We would bring our very best (sometimes new) practice dresses...our boots were polished...and we were so excited to wear a little makeup out on the ice for competition. We were taught from our coaches that you never know who is around, who is watching you.....and people know who you are, even if you don't think they do......so behave yourself, etc.....LOL I'm chuckling at the memory.

Having your underwear hanging out, ripped tights, non-polished boots....IMO, is just unacceptable. Even the tiny skaters today are more put together. Skating is such a subjective sport.....this is something that you CAN do something about...your image. I wonder if Skate Canada is going to get involved with this.......the USFSA sure would!

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
I agree Kathleen. Why hasn't Skate Canada stepped in and asked them to improve on her image? The majority of the responses here are saying that Mira needs to get her act together. Skate Canada, Joanne, and Mira need to get together and make this girl a package deal. The #2 senior lady skater in Canada must represent herself and Canada much, much better than she is right now.