Mira Leung and Her New Coach | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Mira Leung and Her New Coach

LizzieBeth

Rinkside
I would put on makeup that looks good live on the ice, for the spectators and judges. If you avoid extremely dark eyeliner, eyeshadow and very bright lipstick, you should not look too scary to the people who see you in person!

The only discipline where we expect heavy over the top makeup is ice dance!

I do see the point that people are making about how makeup and fancy hair should not be necessary. But ladies have been using makeup since Egyptian times and probably in unrecorded history before that. So I think it is a norm in many cultures.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
I agree with some of the points. Some factors to consider.

Makeup is tricky because you have to consider the skater's skin type and any allergies she may have. In Canada companies are not required to list ingredients on cosmetic products . Words like hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic mean nothing. I know because I have personally broken out with products with those labels ( which supposedly are safer for sensitive types).

Yes makeup helps but there is a trial and error process to finding what works with your skin type especially when there is no ingredient list to help you avoid those ingredients that may irritate your skin.

That said, there is no excuse for dirty looking skates ( cover them up or use a white polish at least ) , panties showing ( even a french-cut brief under the dress would get rid of that problem) , or the sad excuse of a hair cut she has. Holes in tights are also inexcusable.

Hopefully Mira's mother is not the type who insists on no makeup at all until 18. Although I do have a feeling she is exactly that type of mother. A have a feeling she might also think that Mira can only wear granny briefs. I wouldn't want to wear the briefs that I saw peeking underneath Mira's dress ( way too old fashioned and unflattering under just about anything).

There is new legislation as of today:
http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/To...16&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V2&showbyline=True

The craziest ingredient I have ever seen used in a cosmetic procedure is botulinum toxin (Botox). This is the agent that kills you when you get botulism, by paralyzing your nerves so you can't breathe. It is listed as one of the top six potential bio-terrorism hazards.

But if you inject some into your forehead, if the dose is small enough, instead of killing you outright it just paralyzes the nerves that allow you to exhibit facial expression -- no more wrinkles!

redhotcoach

On the Ice
Posters have been getting upset here about others criticizing Mira's appearance - and it would seem that Skate Canada now has had enough. I understand that Skate Canada sat down with Mira and her mother following the Skate Canada Victoria performance - and laid down the law so to speak.

There is a clause in most Skate Canada team agreements that specifies neat and tidy appearance - something to the effect that skaters must conduct themselves at all times in a manner that reflects a positive image. You are an ambassador -----etc. I suspect that clause could refer to neat and tidy etc.

Mira and makeup are not really the issue. If she chooses not to any, so be it. Nor really, is her choice of hairstyle. Or her jumping technique and artistry. However, neat and tidy skates, tights, hair and costume - are reflective of a positive image - and that is Skate Canada's business isn't it?

Let's hope Mira and her mother get with the program now so that we can sit back and watch her skate - instead of focusing on her underwear and messy attire. :clap:

Gwendolyn

Rinkside
Maybe but I will give her the benefit of the doubt of having a costume mishap just like the wedgie. I really don't think she would have gone out onto the ice if she knew her underwear would slip down. Hopefully she will learn from that experience and it won't happen again . Who knows she might have always worn this type of underwear and never had a problem until recently.

THere was another picture on FSU showing her in a different costume, I THINK at Skate Canada, with her panties showing. So it's not a one-off event for her.

A woman I know who used to be a national champion in Canada (can't remember exactly what level though) and still hangs out with quite a few people in the skating community told me today that she had "gossip" about Mira. Then she told she had to run and she'd tell me when I got back from vacation!! I don't know what she has to say, or even if she's just pulling my leg, but I suspect it's probably like what one posted said and that the Skate Canada has finally put their foot down.

Last edited:

gsrossano

Final Flight
And like i said "presentation" under the old system was a jargon term encompassing everythnig you list above, which does not include make up, cleaning of skates and holes in tights.

Ant

Presentation was the name of the second mark under 6.0 up until the 2006 rulebook, when the terminology was changed to make it more similar to IJS -- not jargon.

"Artistic Impression" was jargon under 6.0 (and today), being an even older term for the second mark that was eliminated many years ago.

"Packaging" as I call it, does not affects any of the 16 criteria for the three "presentation" program components in singles directly. Whether it effects any of them indirectly is debatable. I personaly think very little. The only one where a case might be made is "Projection" under Performance and Execution. In principle, the effectiveness with which the purpose of a program is projected (communicated to the viewer) can be affected by packaging.

In the case of Mira, my view is her packaging is not so bad that it affects her PC marks. She has more serious problems with her PC scores than that. The hair, costume, underwear, boots, etc. are more of a PR problem for her than anything else.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Presentation was the name of the second mark under 6.0 up until the 2006 rulebook, when the terminology was changed to make it more similar to IJS -- not jargon.

"Artistic Impression" was jargon under 6.0 (and today), being an even older term for the second mark that was eliminated many years ago.

"Packaging" as I call it, does not affects any of the 16 criteria for the three "presentation" program components in singles directly. Whether it effects any of them indirectly is debatable. I personaly think very little. The only one where a case might be made is "Projection" under Performance and Execution. In principle, the effectiveness with which the purpose of a program is projected (communicated to the viewer) can be affected by packaging.

In the case of Mira, my view is her packaging is not so bad that it affects her PC marks. She has more serious problems with her PC scores than that. The hair, costume, underwear, boots, etc. are more of a PR problem for her than anything else.

I agree with that completely. When i said that presentation was "jargon" i meant in the sense that it takes a word everyone understands but means a very specific thing in skating - namely the titel of the second mark and encompassesa ll of those things (speed , carriage flow etc) that were scored under that mark.

Ant

gsrossano

Final Flight
So getting back to the title of the thread, MIra and her Coach. If you all were Mira's coach what would be your priorities be to improve all her marks (elements and PCs)?

Gwendolyn

Rinkside
So getting back to the title of the thread, MIra and her Coach. If you all were Mira's coach what would be your priorities be to improve all her marks (elements and PCs)?

Priority? Pry her away from Mama Leung. Seriously. I'd send her to a "skaters only" camp or something to get her away from her overbearing mother for extended periods of time so she realizes just how much she can improve and that her mother doesn't know everything. That may sound harsh, but at this point, her mother is driving her career into the ground. Then hopefully the skate camp will fix her d@mn jumps. And her technique. And her weird hunched skating.

Personally- I'd also get her straight away to have her hair fixed.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Trying to pry the girl away from her Mother would just not work. Their bond is stronger than figure skating. If someone tries to power her way between them, the natural reaction would be for the parent and child to defend each other. I would guess that this has been tried and failed miserably.

Actually, the only way that might work is for a coach to work with them as a team. But the coach would have to get the Mother to respect her limits and still allow her input. I think building that kind of relationship either takes years of work or extreme motivation. Maybe Skate Canada can extremely motivate the Mother, but at this late date, I don't think they can force her out of the picture.

Mira does need to start with the basics and rebuild. The girl has talent. However, unless she has a stable and steady learning enviroment I don't see that happening. So a good coaching situation would have to be the priority.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Oh, I thought it was going to be legislation banning Mira from competing unless she wears new tights and boots and bikini underwear.

I heard that Prime Minister Harper is going to address this once he returns from the APEC summit. :rofl:

passion

On the Ice
I think Mama Leung needs to take a step back and look at the situation. She needs to swallow her pride and let the coach do her job without interference. That may be difficult since she probably thinks SHE is the reason why Mira went to the Olympics.

I was surprised to learn that Mira had been taking from Joanne for the last five years. Something is wrong here somehow.