Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko Announces Return to Competition Next Season

Custom Title

Plushenko Announces Return to Competition Next Season

http://sportcom.ru/sport/figurkat/news454e16ce.htm

Translation

Evgeny Plushenko: I will prepare for Vancouver-2010.

The press-conference with Olympic Champions Tatiana Totmianina-Maxim Marinin, Evgeny Plushenko and famous musician and composer Edvin Marton took place in St. Peterburg.

The primary topic of the press-conference was the upcoming figure skating tour, featuring a number of well-known skaters. According to Evgeny Plushenko he spent nearly four years preparing the show. However, the final dates and locations for the tour aren't set. The only things known for sure are that the tour will begin in the end of Feburary 2007, will run till April, and will include more than 30 shows in Russia and CIS countries.

Evgeny Plushenko: "We are very dilligent in the preparation, trying to consider every minute detail. I can tell you that so far I am satisfied. Our show is a very large scale one, both in terms of skaters involved and in terms of settings. One of the unique features of the show will be numbers featuring several skaters at once. I think it's very interesting to have, say, four Olympic Champions doing the same element side-by-side. By the good tradition Evdin Marton will join the skaters for the show. And this time the skaters will use his music more".

Then asked where such an energy arise from Evengy Plushenko replied: "I am young, 24 year old. I have both the energy and the desire to try something new. I see no reason to relax in a rocking chair, cup of tea in hands, reviewing my medal collection. More so, I am 99% sure that I will return to eligible competition. I haven't even actually left it all, I merely took a season off. So I will prepare for Olympic Games in Vancouver. I would like to win the second Olympic gold in 2010.
    Last edited by Anna; 11-07-2006 at 07:35 AM.

Welcome back, Plush!! and good luck to you. Back to back gold Oly medals are a rare species.

When was the last time a male skater got back to back Oly gold medals?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Welcome back, Plush!! and good luck to you. Back to back gold Oly medals are a rare species.

When was the last time a male skater got back to back Oly gold medals?

Joe
    Just in solo Males skating...you'd have to go back to Dick Button's back to back Golds in 1948 and 1952.

Then It was Karl Schafer In 1932 and 1936 (there were no Olympics in between his titles and Buttons' for obvious reasons)

Gillis Graftsrom had three back to back medals in 1920, 1924 and 1928.

Apparently back in the good old days multiple olympic golds was the norm!

Ant

Medalist

Back to Back Olympic Golds

Yeah it was Dick Button's second Olympic Win in 1952 that was the last back to back gold. If you ask me I think that Plushenko may very well do that.

I agree and i also hope if he does it is with some semblance of musicality and even just a pinch of choreography unlike his Torino programs which were artistically empty and extremely boring with all the front loading and posing.

Ant

Rinkside
    thank you for your translation

Banned
    If Plushenko returns I would never watch mens skating again until after 2010 when he is gone for good. Seeing the judges give her outrageously inflated scores in every area and give him a 4-fall cushion even if somebody else skated perfectly with 3 quads is not even worth watching. I would only watch the other 3events, and not waste my time watching the mens Plushenko lovefest.

If I were ISU chief I would declare a full 20% deduction on the PCS scores the judges give, sorry the judges "gift" him every time he skates for starters.

Welcome to Golden Skate, Icesk8erdude. Thanks for joining us!

Mathman

When you see Plushenko compete in person, he's a man among boys.

But 2010 is a long way off. He may not see any point in hanging around for another go at it.

Banned
    I also would not watch much mens skating if Plushenko returned. I would check the listings for the mens event and zap it out until after 2010 anyway. I much tape GP events he is not in just to see skaters I like skate, but that is it.

Actually, I like the suggestion of the "Plushenko deduction" to make it more fair. 20% is too high, though. With an overall 10% decduction for being Plushenko, he would have beaten Lambiel at the Olympics by only 1.29 points. That would have been exciting.

Down With It
    It "sounds" fair but it really is not. That's just a whole new can of worms there.

What the judges need to do is just to even things out and judge WHAT THEY SEE. Apparently Cop hasn't solved this problem. Isn't this why it was created in the first place? We may as well go back to 6.0's.

Oops, my bad. I see that the suggestion was to take 20% off just the Program Components Scores for Plushenko's performances. In that case it's Plushenko 233.66, Lambiel 231.21. Again, a nail-biter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Actually, I like the suggestion of the "Plushenko deduction" to make it more fair. 20% is too high, though. With an overall 10% decduction for being Plushenko, he would have beaten Lambiel at the Olympics by only 1.29 points. That would have been exciting.
    temper said a 20% deduction on PCS though, not a total 20% deduction. A 20% deduction on PCS would have been about 10% overall right?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I meant 20% on PCS scores only. That would be about 10% probably as PCS and TES score are usually pretty even for skaters.

I was being a bit silly of course but I dont disagree with any of his wins last year, he definitely deserved them all looking at his skates and his competitors, but I do disagree with such high scores in some areas he gets. The judges are wanting to put competitions out of reach of his competitors before events even start and that is not right, and it makes the mens event not worth watching if they are going to think of doing that again. His 90 in the short program in Turin was totally unwarranted, especialy as the first skater, I looked at his point protocals and his scores were put up too high in almost every single thing. They should have just told him to skip the competition, give him the gold medal, and let the rest compete for the other placings. After all the only way he was ever going to lose the gold to the judges was if he sat on his rear end for half of the long program, no matter what anybody else had done.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast