When / how did you become a FS fan? | Golden Skate

When / how did you become a FS fan?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
- Or realize you were? etc...

....year? place? friend introduced you? Mom / Dad took you to the rink and you were hooked?

People will answer this how ever, but I just want to clarify it does not have to be specific, but the "mooshie-gooshie details" might be fun too:agree:

I can only speak for myself, I would love to hear some long storys:love: :agree: but tid-bits are fun too.

I also suggest / promote the "feel free to add moments" that you might have forgotten to put in the first post. expl "...I became even more of a fan when..."
:biggrin:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always watched figure skating during the Olympics, but became hooked during "The Battle of the Brians" of the 1988 Calgary Olympics. I also loved Midori Ito's reaction at the end of her fabulous free skate in Calgary. After that, there was no turning back. We started watching everything, Olympic eligible & professional. We attend COI & SOI when they come to our area (Philly), and we have been lucky enough to attend some competitions (1998 Nationals, part of 2003 & 2005 Skate America, 2003 Worlds) as well. Tomorrow night we're going to "Country on Ice" in Philly. In early December we have tickets for "Fashion on Ice."

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I was turning 11, in February of 1994. My mom, my sister, and I were watching the Oympics because we had been keeping an eye on the Nancy/Tonya thing, and rooting for Alexei Urmanov. From then on, I was obsessed with skating. I wanted lessons(which I didn't get), and watched every special I could. And when I got the internet in 2002, right before the Oly's, I got to share my obsession of skating(and Alexei Yagudin lol) with other obsessors, and become even MORE obsessed :laugh: It's been fun! :) I got to attend my first, Stars on Ice this year.
I did get almost run over by Matt Savoie when he was practicing "Ragtime". He was going into a triple, and I wasn't too fast a skater, yet, so I was scurrying as fast as I could! I wasn't stalking BTW, lol. His coach, Linda, wanted to see what I could do, when I almost got lessons from her.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
not like I haven't told the story before, but oh well ;)

My great aunt was a fan of US figure skating for years. Her favorite was Scott Hamilton (or really any US olympic champ lol) and he was touring with Disney on Ice in 87-88 and they came to Anchorage, AK. I was... almost 4 when we went (her excuse to get tickets was 'the baby needs to see Mickey on Ice' lol)

All it took for me to get interested was watching his Georgia on my Mind program (with the radio) and I was hooked. Over the years I grew to like more than just pro and US skating... but that's where I got my start... :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's not the first time it's been asked

the radio was a prop in the program, and Scott talked to it... I'm pretty sure the program is on Youtube... if not I know it's available on the Figure Skating Video MB/Website

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
It's not the first time it's been asked

the radio was a prop in the program, and Scott talked to it... I'm pretty sure the program is on Youtube... if not I know it's available on the Figure Skating Video MB/Website

I was trying to make a joke. hope it wasn't negatively taken.:biggrin:

Cool, I will look for that.:yes:

mkdream

Rinkside
I started watching Figure Skating in the 2001 season. Just in time for me to fall in love with Michelle Kwan and root for her in Salt Lake City. I was so heartbroken when she lost. I'm glad I started to watch, it's so addictive.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
When I was 8, my mom (who rarely let me watch TV) woke me up and got me out of bed just so I could see Torville and Dean skate their incredible Bolero. I was hooked from that day on.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Torvill & Dean's Bolero...bare in mind i'm in the UK so this was everywhere, plus the fact i grew up in a village 20 miles away from Nottingham (where T&D were from and trained at least at teh start!).

I was only young though so i didn't become a die hard fan til around 1993/1994 when i started identifying different jumps and moves and then by 1995 i had all the elements down and watched/taped anything that was ever on tv.

Started skating myself in 2002 and that has me more gripped than the tv skating now since COP.

Ant

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I'm pretty sure I've told this story before, too, but here goes. One of my first memories is of Peggy Fleming winning in Grenoble. I wasn't quite five at the time, but I know it's a true memory because I see it in black and white. (We didn't have a color TV until later.) I've been watching ever since.
Only slightly OT - I recently won a gift certificate for group lessons for two at Snoopy's Home Ice, so my Spawn (the long-absent Amazon Princess) and I will be gaining a whole new appreciation for the sport.
Wish us luck!
xoxo
Rave

antmanb

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure I've told this story before, too, but here goes. One of my first memories is of Peggy Fleming winning in Grenoble. I wasn't quite five at the time, but I know it's a true memory because I see it in black and white. (We didn't have a color TV until later.) I've been watching ever since.
Only slightly OT - I recently won a gift certificate for group lessons for two at Snoopy's Home Ice, so my Spawn (the long-absent Amazon Princess) and I will be gaining a whole new appreciation for the sport.
Wish us luck!
xoxo
Rave

You may get bitten by the bug and have to continue with it! I certainly was!

Ant

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I became a skating fan watching Kat win her first gold medal... I started lessons when I turned 8 and became totally hooked... then my coach explained to my mom that while I was a decent jumper and did ok at comps, I simply didn't have the bodytype to justify moving to the next level... (granted, at the time I was already 5'7" with all the trimmings...) so I kinda lost the love... and then Debi Thomas won Worlds... she made a HUGE impact on me... In a sport where nobody looked like me, I finally had a hero to root for... and then I got bored again... the classic casual fan... until a cute little chinese girl with a ponytail hit the ice and the love came back and never left.

heyang

Record Breaker
I do remember watching US Nationals in 84. I actually preferred Elaine Zayak over Rosalyn Sumners. And of course there was Scott Hamilton, but I was really let down by his Olympic performance. I also saw T&D's Bolero. However, I was in college by then and didn't have a lot of time.

88 was the year I really became a fan. G&G in pairs, Boitano in mens, Debi Thomas & Witt for the ladies - I also liked Caryn Kadavy, but Jill Trenary bugged me for some reason. Been watching every since.

I got into Ice Dance thanks to the return of T&d in 1994, L& T after them and now B&A. I've also enjoyed Punsalon and Swallow after they went pro.

Jhar55

Medalist
When I first got hooked was when Peggy won Olympic.
Beg my dad for a pair of skates and skated on the frozen corn field that flooded every winter.
Of course I didn't do the tricks right but would watch on TV then go out and try.
Remember watching the barrell jumping on skates, didn't have any barrell but you could pile up snow and do the same, but if you fell it wouldn't hurt as much:laugh:

Alsace

On the Ice
I first remember 1988 Olympics, I think. But I really got hooked watching ABC's wide world of sports.

When we got a VCR, I recorded everything and watched it daily, prompting my parents to invest in headphones, so they didn't have to hear the same music and commentary night after night!

dutchherder

Final Flight
I don't remember ever *not* watching it. I remember being pretty small and watching Linda Fratianne, Randy and Tai, Dorothy Hamill, and Robin Cousins. This is significant when you consider that I was born in '74!

I know I remember thinking "Fratianne" was fun to say...:p