When / how did you become a FS fan? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

When / how did you become a FS fan?

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I've always watched figure skating when it was on, long before I thought I could actually do it myself. But I suppose the moment I was hooked, enough that it sticks out in my mind, was 1994--yeah, partially the whole Tonya-Nancy thing, but more Torvill and Dean. The ONLY thing I remember watching from those Olympics are the compulsories (I remember something the commentators were saying about choctaws) and their OD. I knew NOTHING about them (when they did Bolero, I was in kindergarten and oblivious) but they are all I remember about those Games.

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
When I watched Peggy Fleming in 1968 on our black and white television as a very little girl. All through the '70s and '80s I watched the television skating coverage when I could, such as it was at that time. I remember sitting through many weekend afternoons of ABC's Wide World of Sports to catch the skating coverage interspersed among the downhill skiing and other winter sports coverage. Tai and Randy having to withdraw at the '80 Olympics was my first skating heartbreak.

heyang, I preferred Elaine Zayak over Rosalyn also! She was born and raised a couple towns over from me (as was Dick Button, albeit before my time ;) ), and she's just a bit younger than I am. She was at a local shopping mall one day signing autographs after she won World's, but my *friends* wouldn't wait for me, so I didn't get to meet her.

By the early '90s I was losing interest in skating, for various reasons, and then along came Michelle, Natalia & Artur, etc., and I was hooked again.

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Ice Capades, age eight. Handsome men doing amazing things on the ice and elegant women in beautiful costumes and huge head-dresses. What was NOT to love? :rock:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have always liked figure skating but when I became a bigger fan was when I saw Alexei Yagudin skate Man in the Iron Mask. I don't know whether it was his skating or him...........maybe both. I think his footwork was amazing and had not seen any like it before and that's what amazed and awed me.

Dee