Virtue and Moir are Marvelous! | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir are Marvelous!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
How exciting it is to have not only one top ice dance couple - D&L, but also the new kids on the block - Virtue and Moir. Their long program at Skate Canada was exquisite. They skated it beautifully. Congratulations to them both.

:bow:

shine

Record Breaker
Their OD is great, and the FD is just spellbinding. Loved it. We've seen shades of it, but I think thier presentation really blossomed this year (esp. Tessa), and I can't help feeling proud for this team. And they are so versatile.

Last edited:
A really lovely dance team but unfortunately, there is an unwritten law in Dance that one must wait their turn to get on the podium at Worlds.

Joe

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
I was mezmorized by their freeskate on Sunday. They have flow and emotion to the music. Scott is just an awesome dancer and it actually looked like a ball room dance but on ice and I think that is what ice dance should be all about. Their costumes were beautiful as well instead of all this stuff on them. I am very certain that their future will be bright and I am glad to see another ice dance team from Canada coming to the forefront. I also hope that this new judging system will not allow for this team to get to the top in their due time. Judge on what they put out there and not place them down just because they are new to the senior scene. I guess we will have to see how this year goes for them and how the judges are going to judge them.

scs

Rinkside
I found this team thrilling to watch...did enjoy them in the past, but they have matured sooooo much! It will be interesting to see how they place at Worlds (presuming they make the team!) with Canada already having a medal contending team. I would expect them to be in the top ten should they perform at least as well as they did last weekend. However, will the fact that they are first year seniors keep on the World scene keep them lower?

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
A really lovely dance team but unfortunately, there is an unwritten law in Dance that one must wait their turn to get on the podium at Worlds.

Joe

Do you really think that, if not for this "unwritten law", V&M would medal at Worlds this year? I think they're good, but they have a way to go before they're top contenders IMHO. Their FD is so empty. They bore me a little.

chania36

On the Ice
Last year I saw them in person at Nationals, and if you find them great on T.V. well let me tell you, in person it is UNBELIEVABLE...

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Good to hear that chania36. I will see them at Nationals in Halifax in January. Yay!:clap: :clap:

scs

Rinkside
As much as I love this team and believe that they will one day be world champions, I don't believe that they are in line for a world medal this year, barring disaster from their competitors. They are a fabulous team, but IMO, there are a number of other top teams whose experience will legitimately place them ahead of this wonderful young Canadian team.
I do fear, however, that they may not receive a placement as high as they deserve due to their "newness" on the senior scene and the presence of D/L. (Hope I'm wrong on both accounts!)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think their youth and beauty brings a freshness to ice dance period. As Tracy Wilson observed "It's wonderful to see dance brought back to ice dance. Virtue and Moir almost stole the show even in the shadow of D&L. I don't think it will be long before they are on top of the podium - even at Worlds. With the new judging system it is possible for movement in the ice dance world.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I kind of do.

Joe

OKay, so of the top skaters, who do you think V&M should be above? I've watched them skate and I think they ought to be behind G&P (US), B&A (US), D&S (Bulgarians, French, and Russians), D&L(CAN) at least. With a clean skate I'd have F&S(ITA) and P&B(FRA) ahead of them, too. I'm genuinely curious, which of these teams would you have below V&M, and WHY? I'm not saying they aren't good, but they still look like junior kids. ANd I don't just mean that they physically look young, I mean their skating looks immature still. I know this is their first year out of juniors but I guess after all the fuss, I expected more from them than what I've seen so far.

rain

Record Breaker
So. much. talent.

I was really impressed at Skate Canada. They did not look like junior skaters at all. Their freedance is fantastic and can only get better as the season goes. It's very sophisticated, difficult and completely, refreshingly, dance. I don't remotely expect them on the podium or even challenging for it at worlds this year — let's face it, that's not how ice dance works — but they could, legitimately, be challenging very shortly.

Eowyn

Rinkside
Do you really think that, if not for this "unwritten law", V&M would medal at Worlds this year? I think they're good, but they have a way to go before they're top contenders IMHO. Their FD is so empty. They bore me a little.

*comes out of dark forest she usually lurks in* ;)

I have to agree with Joe here. 110%.

I don't think they are boring at all, and I thought their FD was very interesting and innovative. I enjoyed it more than the other Canadian team at Skate Canada. (don't get me wrong, I love the other Canadian team, but I think they are seriously overmarked....)

*runs back to the dark forest of lurkdom*

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
*comes out of dark forest she usually lurks in* ;)

I have to agree with Joe here. 110%.

I don't think they are boring at all, and I thought their FD was very interesting and innovative. I enjoyed it more than the other Canadian team at Skate Canada. (don't get me wrong, I love the other Canadian team, but I think they are seriously overmarked....)

*runs back to the dark forest of lurkdom*

Okay then what the heck am I missing here? I think that V&M, and especially that FD, are DULL DULL DULL. Yeah, they are cute, but other than that... I just don't get it. I'm sure that they will improve and I have no problem with people predicting that they will, IN THE FUTURE, be on the World podium but this year, they are just not even close.

rain

Record Breaker
Okay then what the heck am I missing here? I think that V&M, and especially that FD, are DULL DULL DULL. Yeah, they are cute, but other than that... I just don't get it.

I guess it's a subjective thing, because I could not disagree more about their freedance being dull. I think it's absolutely gorgeous and mesmerizing. They are much more than cute. They are incredibly polished and technically proficient, particularly for their young age. The first time I saw them when they were still in juniors it leapt to the eye that they were going places. They just have that elusive quality to be stars.

CanuckSk8r

Rinkside
I think that V&M, and especially that FD, are DULL DULL DULL. Yeah, they are cute, but other than that... I just don't get it.

Of course we are all entitled to our opinions, but I think V&M are far from dull. They emcompass what skating is about - strong basics that allow them to seem effortless in their movements, even the difficult ones.
They have incredible edges, intricate footwork and great awareness for a young team.
Do I think they will be on the World podium this year? No, but top 10 yes.

Perhaps the ease of which they execute their skills is being overlooked as simple and/or boring programs by some.

Personally, they pureness of their skating capitvates me. They are simply elegant and beautiful to watch. The future looks incredible bright for them.

shine

Record Breaker
Who's predicting them to be on the podium?

Last edited:
Okay then what the heck am I missing here? I think that V&M, and especially that FD, are DULL DULL DULL. Yeah, they are cute, but other than that... I just don't get it. I'm sure that they will improve and I have no problem with people predicting that they will, IN THE FUTURE, be on the World podium but this year, they are just not even close.
Every one to their own trueself. There is no argument when discussing potential except agreeing or disagreeing. Wnen disscussing winning a competition, that beomes, who is the best at the time of judging.

V&M are showing potential and I think that is what posters are saying. I think they are but they are not the only ones for potential. As for the top tier take your pick: D&S, D&L, B&A, etc, and maybe V&M as a dark horse. Nothing more

Joe