Can Michelle make a comeback?

• Yes

Votes: 77 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 180 70.0%

• Total voters

mkdream

Rinkside
I believe that if Michelle can create a COP friendly program and get over her injuries than she can definitely make a huge return to amateur skating. Now I don't think that another Olympics is likely but I could easily see another National or World title. The only problem would be the people who will say that she needs to " pass the torch ". I believe that if someone want's her torch they need to cleanly beat her and take it.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Sure, she could make a comeback. I don't think the CoP friendly program is the issue as that's just program layout not actually mechanics of skating ~ what could be an issue is the physical piece ~ at what cost to her body and is it worth it?

Also, does she even want to comeback? At what point does one say enough & get on with it? Is ten the magic number? She's in school, preparing for the future and has switched her focus. What is the benefit of returning to a scene where she's had so much success... maybe a new challenge is more intriguing than repeating a challenge she's already proved dominate at...

While I, as a confirmed uber, would love to see Michelle compete again, I've come to terms with the idea of her getting on with it and dominating something else... perferrably in a governing role at the USFS & being a loud thorn in the side of Speedy.... (one can hope, right?)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I would love to see her return and skate the programs she had planned to skate in 2006. She went to the work of making them and trying to get them COP-suited, I would like to see her able to skate them. Of course if she continues after 1 year that is good too, but her first year back I would like to see her 2006 programs.

She has nothing to prove so she need not be paranoid if the programs are good enough or not, she worked hard on them and I would like to have seen them.

dutchherder

Final Flight
As much as I would like to see Michelle Kwan come back to win an OGM, I don't think she'll do it. What I would *really* like to see is Michelle turn pro and do for pro skating what Scott Hamilton, Robin Cousins, Kurt Browning, and Roz Sumners did for pro skating back in the day:agree. COMPETITIONS! No more (or at least fewer) Rockin' Skatin' Groovin' to Live music friends and family spectaculars. I want to see these people SKATE! I honestly believe that a good competitive professional circuit actually improves the amateur skaters. They get to see what's possible by watching the masters. :agree:

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan certainly could try a comeback. The question is: "would she be successful?" As much as I love Michelle Kwan, I do believe that her time has passed. There's a new crowd in town and they are mostly made up of Japanese, one Korean (maybe more) and possibly some competition in the U.S.

Also, I believe Michelle is interested in other things, hopefully completing her education and with the Connie Rice announcement a whole new focus. Kwan has grown up and it's time to think of the future. Unfortunately, Michelle has never shown an interest in show skating so outside of a few appearances from time to time I just don't think we will see her as a regular at skating shows. Too bad, because I think Michelle's greatest skates could have been exhibition numbers.

I am thankful for all the wonderful years of watching Michelle Kwan compete and doubt that anyone (man or woman) will ever match her competitive record.

Dizzy

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
The 3 wonder kids-Asada, Meissner, and Kim have already lost this year and not to each other either. Meissner was the only of the 3 who even skated a particularly good free program, the other 2 were pretty much a mess. I dont think the womens field would be invincable for Michelle, or even Cohen, Arakawa, or Slutskaya for that matter if they could find the motivation, health(
doubtful for Irina), and determination to go full tilt at a comeback. People like Suguri, Miki Ando, Rochette, look like contenders for World medals this year, sure the big 3 of Meissner/Asada/Kim still might compose the World podium as everyone is predicting, but the fact those others still look like contenders with that group makes me thinks it would not be out of reach for those aforementioned skaters to attempt a comeback at this point anyway.

Jhar55

Medalist
I'd love to see her come baack but she's done expect for maybe tours like COI / SOI. She will always be one of my all time favorites.

jennylovskt

Medalist
She should not come back. As much as I love her skating, for her own sake, I don't want her to come back. I have seen so many athlets in different sports tried to come back then failed. We have too many examples in figure skating already. I don't want to see her come back and leave with more disappointments. She's acomplished so much. Her name has been written in the history of this sport and been remembered forever. It's time to move on.

mkdream

Rinkside
She should not come back. As much as I love her skating, for her own sake, I don't want her to come back. I have seen so many athlets in different sports tried to come back then failed. We have too many examples in figure skating already. I don't want to see her come back and leave with more disappointments. She's acomplished so much. Her name has been written in the history of this sport and been remembered forever. It's time to move on.

As much as I hate to agree, I think you're right.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
She has nothing to prove so she need not be paranoid if the programs are good enough or not, she worked hard on them and I would like to have seen them.
Yeah, I really want to see those programs too. The Prelude program especially.

I think more than anything I'd love to see her have a happy season again. Even if she doesn't win. It just doesn't seem right if her career ends with that 2006 injury season.

Any comeback to skating would be icing on the cake though, whether it be elgible competition or show skating.

Helen88

Spectator
If she came back she might be good - but it's a BIG might. If she returns to some of the bigger competitions, I think she runs the risk of just making her injuries worse. I'm not saying she should retire fully - just that she should take things a little more slowly...

I believe that if Michelle can create a COP friendly program and get over her injuries than she can definitely make a huge return to amateur skating. Now I don't think that another Olympics is likely but I could easily see another National or World title. The only problem would be the people who will say that she needs to " pass the torch ". I believe that if someone want's her torch they need to cleanly beat her and take it.

She "delivered" the torch this year at Ladies Nationals and every lady dropped it and burned their self except Alyssa Czisny :cool:

kendall

Match Penalty
I definitely don't think so. I'm sure she can comeback to skate but too win a new judging system championship is a big question mark. Her spins are too simple and grade low level under new judging system. Beside, she don't have triple-triple combination jumps under her bell. That's the reason why she never won the olympic too.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMO, a Kwan comeback is definitely possible. The probability of her doing so is a different question. Her chances of success if she does do so vary -- based on the ladies Nats this year, winning her 10th Nats title strikes me as eminently possible, but winning Worlds is much less so.

scorekeeper

On the Ice
As much as I hate to agree, I think you're right.

I do, too. I think a comeback would rather like the singles skaters who reinstated in '94. None of them fared well, and all they really did was deprive someone else of a chance to compete. Besides, what would she really gain? She doesn't need the prize money, and she already has the prestige.

I believe Michelle had begun her 'movin on' in 2006 when she realized there is no more easy skates in cheesefests, and that hip was getting worse. Now that she has taken care of her hip which should have been done in 2002, she is nestled in Colorado Springs with school, ambassadorship, and maybe a real boyfriend.

I think she will make skateless public appearance here and there for the next few years. Old skaters never die, they just fade away. Remember Sonia Klopfer?

Joe

76olympics

On the Ice
I think she COULD with sufficient time for rehabilitation, but I think she WON'T. I think she's ready to climb other mountains at this point.

Michelle's Comeback?

That's up to her, but I wouldn't advise it, if she is doing it for a medal. But as a swan song, it might be fun.

Joe