Dancing with the stars | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dancing with the stars

I think a lot of people voted for Emmitt because he showed the most improvement. He could hardly dance at all at the begining, but he got better and better.

Mario was outstanding form day one, so that put Emmitt in the underdog role, which a lot of people could respond to.

A real skating competition should have as much glitz and it will get more viewers. If there are no gimmics, the new interest will be on understanding the sport. Any ten to 12 skaters will do to begin with (men, women, eligibles, pros - who cares). Each one to skate to different tempos of music each week until there are only 3 standing after the eliminations. Then the Finals!! high ratings, I think.

But no commentary while they are skating. Would you watch?

Joe

Petlover

On the Ice
Did you notice Mario's "Russian Split Jump" at the beginning of his freestyle program? Oh, to get that man on figure skates........

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sorry CzarinaAnya, I was confused on where I found that info, here is the quote from Mario, which doesn't amount to that much dance experience but this is likely where I got the two mixed up.

Mario - ". . Doing the cabbage patch isn't going to help you with the foxtrot, you know what I'm saying? So, when asked on the show, I thought she was asking about formal training, and it was all a blur and sort of surreal … but we're talking like over 20 years ago."

As MM is pointing out with improvement, you must also realize dancing is essentially entertaining. And If the populous were more entertained by Emmit, so be it. He was More entertaining, More improved and had a personality more people liked. That is the name of the game when you look at ANY public vote in contest. If people were under the impression that ONLY the best "skilled" dancer would win these, they were mistaken from the beginning.

And here we go with the #1 spot being the only thing. Geesh, the guy got second out of a very talented crowd in this. That is something to be proud of, particularly considering the forum for the votes.

I would not go as far as to say 2 left feet, I don't think anyone was exaggerating so far in the other direction to say he was the best dancer either. But I do trust in the Judges that were scoring based on how well they did in comparison as well, gave Emmit the comments on occasion, "that was the best dance this season." Might be a little hard to notice (obviously) with a larger man but, none the less his talent and skill at achieving the steps gave him the points from the Judges straight up.

I would also say personalities payed a big part in the Pro Dancer / instructor as well. Kat is not that sweet which would not be a problem if she wasn't that hot headed to add. Cheryl is a wonderful seeming woman - my bias aside - and people are influenced by a lot of factors. Should they be??? Well Shouldn't they?? The whole idea of having it be a professional Dance contest should not even be an issue once the realization that half the contestants are not pro dancers and the public votes for their "favorite." i.e "Favorite." They never say who you think is the best "Skilled Dancer," the closest they come is "....who you think deserves...."

The big problem is that when people have made their personal choice of their favorite - whether that is based on dance skill, improvement, funniest or looks - maybe just who they remember liking when they were younger - they suddenly think everyone should vote based on their criteria. It is not set up to have the most skilled always win - look how long Jerry was on there - just the favorite of the public. It can not always be the best as in cases like last season with Nick. He was not the most improved but, Nick was the best skilled dancer of the final 4. And don't forget he was up against a football hero (J Rice) and the vote still went to the teenage heart throb regardless of who danced better.

I think that says a lot about who the best instructor is as well.

Besides that, anyone who says Emmit was not a good quality dancer by the end of the show is guilty of the same bias that they don't agree with having him win the vote - he won by bias just the same as some one saying he shouldn't have is being bias.

If the show was about "who is the best skilled dancer", they would have them all practicing for the 2 months BEFORE their first public dance and no public vote. The show is just not set up to be a skills contest.

Without the public vote it is a professional competition, Professional Ballroom Dancing competitions were on PBS (I used to watch them in the 90s) and may still be on occasion. That did not make it to the Networks - i.e. People would rather see this which is different. Comps are comps, this is Obviously different from the get-go and I don't see how anyone could expect anything different.

And I again reiterate, Cheryl being the "type of coach(the best of the group IMO) and personality" she is is going to be a factor. Kat was not so liked by the public because she was really coming off as being a brat, hot head and then a sweet wonderful lady when Mario's Mommy came around.

The show is just set up that way, enjoy it for what it really is or you wont be able to enjoy it.

I Love Joe's Idea - of corse I love FS - but I don't see a problem with the caller vote in. The involvement of the public is one of the key factors in this type of shows popularity. The problem is people aren't enjoying it for the entertainment value and getting hung up on the technical aspects which should not be an issue at all to begin with due to the way the "TV contest" is set up in the first place.

The issue I had with Skating with Celebrities was what they were trying to tackle - Pairs FS??? too much in regarding the lifts. I think Dance would be a more achievable goal while educating the populous on the intricacies of the skate blade. When It comes down to the final 4 then the pairs element could come into play. But Stars on Ice did nothing by way of really exposing the "little know in general" aspects of FS. Just how hard it was and how people can get hurt.

Also the Fox line up was / is not conducive to that type of show. A good scenario (whether it works or not I don't know) is to approach the same Dancing with the Stars audience - not the Fox crowd - and possibly put "Ice" on when "Dance" is off, i.e. every other season is one or the other and back to back. Keeping the same crowd.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
I think a lot of people voted for Emmitt because he showed the most improvement. He could hardly dance at all at the begining, but he got better and better.
Was that one of the critera to win?? As I said before I didn't watch from the beginning.

Mathman said:
Mario was outstanding form day one, so that put Emmitt in the underdog role, which a lot of people could respond to.
Now, I know why I didn't make it a point to watch from the beginning............Mario should have won, just for being the better dancer of the 2......and wasn't that one of the criteria for winning ........you have to be the better dancer.

This whole thing reminds me of something I deal with at work. I have to spend an hour at the main switchboard every week because I have excellent time management skills. The other people don't have to because their time management skills aren't as good as mine. So while I'm on the main switchboard for an hour every Thursday, some of the people (who don't have to be on the main switchboard every week) stand around and talk to me for the hour. But I was told I have to remember their TM skills aren't as good as mine. Does it make sense???

Dee

Last edited:
As far as I can tell none of these shows is about "who is the best (dancer, singer, skater)." To win American Idol you don't have to be the best singer, just get the most votes.

In the Marshall's love-in last year, poor Michelle could hardly limp onto the ice, but she got the most votes. (I doubt if she will put that particular win at the top of her resume, LOL.)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Now, I know why I didn't make it a point to watch from the beginning............Mario should have won, just for being the better dancer of the 2......and wasn't that one of the criteria for winning ........you have to be the better dancer.

No, if regarding main criteria, yes as a PART OF the criteria. Didn't you read my "thesis" :laugh:

It is a public opinion show. And who's to say in the public eye Emmit was not better? We are talking about opinions here.

I don't see where some viewers are getting the impression it is all about skill from the very notion of the program. They never never say it is the "best" that wins. Never.

Enjoy it for what it is or don't.:)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did you notice Mario's "Russian Split Jump" at the beginning of his freestyle program? Oh, to get that man on figure skates........
I agree. I know I'd be glued to the TV. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

heyang

Record Breaker
Emmett is a very good dancer. He has gotten praise from the judges every week accept 1. The man is very light on his feet.

I do agree that Mario is a better dancer.

The issue with Mario was also a perception of his personality. He broke the rules of the competition 2 weeks in a row. The 1st week, the judges didn't mark him down, but did mention the problem. So, what did he do? He came back the following week and broke the rules again. The judges gave him lower points this time. His actions were construed as arrogant and he came off as being a bit too 'slick.'

Joey Lawrence was another favorite. He also broke the rules (the same week as Mario's 2nd incident), but he humbly apologized for disrespecting the rules. Some people feel that Joey should have been in the final 2 instead of Emmitt, but I always found his upper body to be a bit too stiff during many of the routines.

The reason I enjoyed Emmitt is because he could dance very well and seems like a very likable person. I also felt that (with the exception of his worst week) he was competing AND really enjoying himself out there. There was a sincereness to his style.

If this was a dance contest, Sara Evans would have been voted out long before she withdrew. Her best week was the # she did during the finale and it had more elements of a line dance than a ballroom dance. She stayed week after week due to her fans.

The week Monique and Vivica were in the bottom 2 instead of Jerry Springer and Sara were an abomination.

What amazed me most about this season is how much I liked Jerry Springer. He was humble, trying and willing to put himself on the line and was totally respectful of everyone. His waltz really moved me and I laughed during his Samba. His paso doble got too gimmicky and that was when he left the show. He always had the basic step down and knew he had to add performance and personality since he could not surpass the others on the technique.

That is so common in dancing. It just adds to the rumour that Mario had extensive dance training before the competition and not like Emmit who had none.

Mario is not new to showbiz. In addition to 'Save by the Bell', he also had the lead in the Greg Louganis TV movie. Like most teenagers with stars in their eyes, they study Acting, Singing and Dancing. Mario is multi-talented and with his good looks, I think this will open up the eyes of Broadway and TV producers.

Emmit has hidden talent which may get him somewhere in showbiz.

Joe