Condoleezza Rice to make announcement about Michelle Kwan on 11/9 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Condoleezza Rice to make announcement about Michelle Kwan on 11/9

heyang

Record Breaker
I don't think that's it. Plenty of skaters work to earn money for their skaters (remember the truck driver and the waitress - Marvel and Urbanski?).

There are several non-salaried positions that are part of government programs. I'm sure all her travel expenses are picked up as part of this appointment.

The rule used to be that you could not earn money by skating in shows or in any skating related job (i.e. coaching, choregraphing, etc.) So, the skaters had to do something to make a living and pay for skating - thus, waiting tables, etc. Jobs that would have less restrictions than the standard 9-5 - much as actors/actresses wait tables to have a more flexible schedule for auditions and stuff.

Now, skaters are allowed to earn money. In theory, it goes into a trust which is to be used for training and living expenses. So, you could buy a car since you need one to drive to and from practices - buses aren't plentiful in many areas at 4AM. At this point, I think Michelle and Sasha are the 2 skaters who are making well beyond what most other eligible skaters are earning.

Eeyora

Final Flight
What I think is great is that Michelle actually said she wasn't there to discuss politics. She always says the right things. She looks so professional in her suit. I think her new positioon is a great selfless move for her.

I think the timing of the announcement is significant. They waited until after the election just to take the politics out of it.

Did you guys watch the video of the press conference? It's still up on the State Department site (thanks NYMKfan).

http://video.state.gov/ifr_main.jsp...d3890x10ed887179exw62a5&rdm=35436.13512305638

Michelle sounds so sincere and honored. I am sure she intends to make the most of this opportunity. I think one of the reasons that Michelle continues to leave the door open for a return to competitive figure skating is that up until now she has not found anything that else that gives her the same rush. Maybe this is it.

So basically, the vibe I am getting is that Condoleezza Rice met Michelle at the state dinner for President Hu, became an instant Kwaniac -- can't blame her for that! -- and proceded to talk Michelle into going to Condi's alma mater and study politics. Maybe they talked about a possible goodwill role for Michelle way back then.

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
MM, I agree that their meeting back in April was probably what sparked this appointment. I'm still not convinced that Michelle is done with competing though. I think she needed this time away, as much for her mental health as her physical.
While I admit that another Olympic run is unlikely, I still think we may see her one more year at Nationals(assuming her health permits it)

And I agree with you that something like this will help her make the transition from skating to the next part of her life. I got all choked up watching that video ... just thinking about her as a little girl, and now seeing her as such a fine young woman. :love:

Mathman said:
So basically, the vibe I am getting is that Condoleezza Rice met Michelle at the state dinner for President Hu, became an instant Kwaniac -- can't blame her for that!
Maybe, but given Condi's history as a skater, I thought perhaps she was ALREADY a Kwaniac and was responsible for Kwan's presence at the state dinner.