Would you like to see more pro competitions? | Golden Skate

Would you like to see more pro competitions?

Would you like to see more pro competitions?

• Total voters

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Absolutely!

This brings a question of scoring to mind. That was / is traditionally a 10 point system (right? or is that just all I remember?) so .... and what were the ins and outs of that sys? I don't know to much about it other then 10 point sys. But I think it was similar to CoP due to not deducting for mistakes, just lessing or eliminating the value of the elements. ???? "Numbers people" rescue me from searching please:bow: :bow:

Last edited:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Yeah, it was the old 10.0 system. I certainly think they can keep it, since it's not the grand prix and wouldn't have any affect on amateur skating.

Who knows, maybe people would watch the pros, becasue they actually understand the old system better. Plus, alot of viewers would see more people they like or recognize. I sure wouldn't like retirement to be the last time I see someone skate, with the exception of shows(which I love), but are not competetive.

dutchherder

Final Flight
I've copied and pasted my response from the "Can Michelle Kwan Make a Comeback" thread:

As much as I would like to see Michelle Kwan come back to win an OGM, I don't think she'll do it. What I would *really* like to see is Michelle turn pro and do for pro skating what Scott Hamilton, Robin Cousins, Kurt Browning, and Roz Sumners did for pro skating back in the day:agree. COMPETITIONS! No more (or at least fewer) Rockin' Skatin' Groovin' to Live music friends and family spectaculars. I want to see these people SKATE! I honestly believe that a good competitive professional circuit actually improves the amateur skaters. They get to see what's possible by watching the masters.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I miss pro skating on TV... like 'Too Hot To Skate' and some of the other shows where there was no musical theme persay... and you didn't have to watch the singer instead of the skating...

I miss the World Pro... it was a great and real competition... why Button gave up on it is beyond me.

I miss the team competitions, they were always fun... I miss, I miss, I miss... I LOVED watching the pros growing up and would love to continue watching the pros, but they never put them on TV anymore lol

This brings a question of scoring to mind. That was / is traditionally a 10 point system (right? or is that just all I remember?) so .... and what were the ins and outs of that sys?
I don't think there were any ins and outs of the 10.0 system. The judges gave 9.9 to the skater they liked the best, 9.8 to the next one, etc., with a few 10s thrown in for an exceptionally nice performance.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Well that makes it simple.:laugh: I guess that might be saying there are not required elements and such?? Does that also mean that things like the backflip and such are not disqualifying factors? Meaning they are aloud and will help the score?

Where is the 2000 page .pdf for this? I love reading those MM:rofl: J/K

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Absolutely! Bring them back! Serious pro competitions!!!! :clap: :party:

ITA. Real competitions. Real programs with grown up music and some interesting choreography. But...if they are just going to skate to American Idol pablum, use stupid props, etc....then forget it.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I voted no but I would vote yes if it helped skating stay alive. I am not a real skating show person, love the competitions.

Dee

rain

Record Breaker
I voted yes, but I do have one caveat. They must be semi-serious competitions, not those stupid things with celebrity judges who know nothing about difficulty or what they're watching, or phone in voting. Not the kind where empty show programs are all that are required, or a lot of props. Pro competitions at their peak were a great source of innovative and interesting choreography, and I'd love to see that again.

lisadotdash

Rinkside
Yes! Props and skimpy outfits. Sometimes I just had to look away because the costumes were so either cheesy or downright disgusting..

antmanb

Record Breaker
Yay!

Bring back proper pro competitions and not with the ridiculous 10 scoring.

In fact now that the judges have their stupid COP in elligible competition, what is to stop the Pro Ranks using 6.0 now? They could keep the format of the SP and LP and give prescribed elements in the SP like a single axel, a double jump out of steps and the only place you can have a triple is in the combination. All the mandatory deductions of the 6.0 SP too. Then an LP with a limit on the number of triples so that people from all eras of skating can compete against each other.

Any takers?

I also think that kwan would be a good personto get this going, if she heals and wants to continue skating.

Ant

Helen88

Spectator
I just wish they showed more skating over here in Britain. We have to make do with Eurosport, so all we really get is the Worlds, the Winter Olympics, and the odd gala or two.