OK Video Tech wizards... | Golden Skate

OK Video Tech wizards...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have a laptop, I have a DVD Player/Recorder, I have a VCR... I want to record a movie I made on my laptop to the DVD player... what cables do I need? Is it the S-input/output?

I also want to know if it's possible to record stuff off of my DVD player onto my computer (not pirating anything I want to share part of my road trip from this summer online... but I can't figure out how)

any help would be great (my laptop is an HP Pavillion model ze5300)

R.D.

Record Breaker
does your laptop have a DVD burner? Also, it would be helpful to know the model name of the DVD recorder/player

If it does then you just make the disk on your computer (make sure it is a DVD-Video disc) and then put it into your DVD player.

There is DVD-ripping software out there that can copy your DVD for you onto your computer (and it's legal, too).

If you really know what you're doing you can simply browse the DVD disk in Windows Explorer and click and drag the .vob files (the actual video content) onto your desktop and then play them with a compatible DVD or MPEG2 player.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't have a DVD burner on my computer... otherwise I'd not need the help lol

I had the capability to watch the DVDs on my computer, but after a big crash a couple years ago I lost the ability to do so (I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff when I have a perfectly good DVD player)

the dvd player/recorder is an ilo... model would be... DVR 1600, I think...

I'm still kinda new trying to get all of the video capabilities down... and should have asked this a while back as the video I want to burn onto a disk is kinda needed for my parents' surprise anniversary party next Saturday :-|

R.D.

Record Breaker
"DVD recorder" and "DVD burner" are more or less the same thing. However, people refer to computer DVD recorders as "burners".

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I record a program off Tv onto a DVD, take the DVD and pop it into my computer. That's where it get tricky. I use an mplayer to convert the file to MPG. Toni, Sean is very helpful and I'm sure he can help you with the process. I understood a lot of what he was talking about. The thing I don't do is use a camera or recorder such as you want to, I use the actual disk and DOS commands. The way I do it is very unconventional.

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thing is my computer does not read DVDs...

I have a DVD player that also records DVD (think VCR only it's for DVDs lol) and so I can record from tape or tv onto DVD, but I don't have a way to hook it up to my computer unless I try to use an Scable (which my computer has an input for one)

I did figure out how to do a VCD and it worked... so I have that... now I just need a way to rip the info I need off of my DVD onto my computer so I can play with my road trip video :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
wait a minute...if your computer can't read DVDs how are you going to rip the DVD onto your computer? You definitely won't be able to do it via the DVD drive.

Do you have access to a computer with a DVD drive? That would be the easiest way.

Why do you want the DVD video on your computer? Do you want to edit it or something? The other option is to use a Firewire connection via a digital camcorder but I haven't tried that and don't know if it would work (since some DVDs are protected).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I want to just have a couple of the 'scenes' from our trip... mainly my best friend's new song that she 'wrote' (it's a parody on "On The Road Again" and it's absolutely hilarious) , and then our Disney Land stuff...

I 'misspoke' when I said rip... I know I can't rip from my computer... I just want to know if there is a way to do so through the DVD player if I hooked it up to my computer...

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toni, I'm getting confused. What do you have your friend's song on and what do you have your tip information on? I guess my question is what is your source for the things you want to make a dvd out of??

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Friend's song is on a DVD...

the trip info for my parents gift were photos, and video, downloaded from my [photo]camera and online (I got permission from owners) put to music...

sorry if I confused ya, Dee! :)

I've figured out a solution for the more important problem I had (the video for my parents)...
now I just want to play around and figure out how to get my friend's song on here

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've figured out a solution for the more important problem I had (the video for my parents)...
now I just want to play around and figure out how to get my friend's song on here
Toni, you have to convert your music dvd to mp3. If you windows, you can do that there. Anyhow, that's what I do. Sean may be able to help you more.

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
dude this is becoming more work than I thought it'd be lol

oh well I may just steal onto someone elses and rip it that way lol