Skate America at 2:30 am | Golden Skate

Skate America at 2:30 am

Penny

On the Ice
Let's inundate them with emails. Please, skate fans in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metropolitan area, go to WFAA. com and post a question on Ask the manager. If enough of us complain, things may change.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Same thing is happening here in Denver, and I have been as positive yet in dispute with there poor choice of air times. Yes we must rally to get this changed.:agree:

Also contacted the sponsors - assuming they didn't pay for a 2:30 am time slot to advertise in.

Jhar55

Medalist
Why waste time on email that they probably won't read. Do what I did once call them on the phone talk to the program director and tell them what you think. At least them you know they heard what you had to say.
The time I did it was due to a football game but ask if the skating was going to be on next day as scheduled he said yes and my answer was if it's not I'll be calling you back. :biggrin: It was on :laugh:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why waste time on email that they probably won't read. Do what I did once call them on the phone talk to the program director and tell them what you think. At least them you know they heard what you had to say.
The time I did it was due to a football game but ask if the skating was going to be on next day as scheduled he said yes and my answer was if it's not I'll be calling you back. :biggrin: It was on :laugh:

Good for you Jhar55.

Dee

Penny

On the Ice
contact info for FCC and Q&A w/ABC affiliate

You may use these as templates for your own complaints. I agree phone calls are great, but at least with email you have a record

HERE IS MY EMAIL TO DAVID WALTHER, program manager for WFAA (ABC Ft. Worth/Dallas Affiliate)

Date: November 9, 2006 2:51:43 PM CST
To: [email protected]

Why was Skate America coverage moved from noon Sunday to 2:30 am? Okay, I know the usual answer--We have to air FCC-mandated children's programs--your standard answer (see questions about MLS preemption) , which is clearly a half-truth. You have plenty of time to run those programs, but you don't because, I assume, you would rather run paid programming. A truthful answer, please.

HERE IS Walther' reply to my email

"Walther, David" <[email protected]>
11/10/2006 10:59 AM
Subject: Let Me Speak To The Manager

Thanks for your message. You are correct - on Sunday, October 29 we had to schedule FCC mandated children's programs and delay broadcast Skate America coverage later that night. The Sunday 12noon to 1pm time period is our designated safe harbor '2nd home' for preempted children's programs. We have few options when weekend schedules are crowded with sports events. College football season is particularly difficult. Our decisions are made to accommodate as many viewers as possible, while also preserving as much advertising revenue as possible (which may include some paid programming). In the case of the Skate America, we were careful to schedule the Oct 29 delay broadcast in addition to a regular broadcast the following Sunday, Nov 5. I'm sorry for any inconvenience due to the 10/29 preemption.

Thank you again for writing.

Best regards,

David Walther
Program Director - WFAA TV

HERE IS MYEMAIL TO FCC ([email protected]) (with Walther correspondence attached)

TO: FCC:
WFAA has a history of preempting (or moving to 2:30 am!) nationally scheduled figure skating events. Their excuse has always been that they must run "FCC-mandated children's programs," but clearly as you can see from Mr. Walther's reply, the issue is really revenue. There have also been similar complaints by fans of major league soccer when games were preempted for children's programing..

Yes, the audience for figure skating is way below that of football, but the audience for figure skating is mostly women and young girls (the same audience as for those generally low-quality mandated children's programs), and no one seems to care about this audience.

Is there anything the FCC can do about this situation, to prod WFAA not to preempt programs aimed at women (figure skating) or latinos (soccer)?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Ybut the audience for figure skating is mostly women and young girls (the same audience as for those generally low-quality mandated children's programs), and no one seems to care about this audience.

:agree: Absolutely. They would rather promote low-grade integrity programing like Hanna Montana then have children wanting to be inspired by athletes. It is revenue.

Bill508

Rinkside
I've been watching videos on You Tube. Seems to cover alot of the skaters although Im only interested in Ladies events so I don't know if pairs etc is there. I kinda gave up on the TV thing at least for now. Between GS and You Tube I keep pretty well informed on the GP tour.

nubka

Final Flight
I've been watching videos on You Tube. Seems to cover alot of the skaters although Im only interested in Ladies events so I don't know if pairs etc is there. I kinda gave up on the TV thing at least for now. Between GS and You Tube I keep pretty well informed on the GP tour.

ITA with you. If it weren't for Youtube, I wouldn't be seeing much skating at all...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I can't resist, just ignore me sorry...

This topic is the essence of my title, And "lord knows I am trying.....":banging:

the following is about FS viewing in my mind

T V C one five

Up every evening 'bout half eight or nine (more like 2:30 am)
I give my complete attention
to a very good friend of mine
He's quadraphonic, he's a......
he's got more channels
So hologramic,
oh my T V C one five
I brought my baby home, she
She sat around forlorn
She saw my T V C one five, baby's gone, she
She crawled right in, oh my
She crawled right in my
So hologramic,