BC Sections - Notes from Rosaleen | Golden Skate

BC Sections - Notes from Rosaleen

Rosaleen

Medalist
My notes are only for the events I saw - mainly the Boys/Men and pairs. There's just too many Girls/Women for me to take notes on. I type these notes as the skaters are performing their programs. With the Juveniles I probably haven’t seen any of these skaters before and sometimes the jumps go by so fast, I’m not sure what I saw. I don’t have planned content sheets or instant replay, so there’s bound to be some mistakes for which I apologize in advance.

Also, my costume descriptions aren't meant to be true descriptions but something so I can remember the skaters I don't know

Rosaleen

Medalist
Juvenile Boys

The winner of this event goes on to Junior Canadians (the Juv’s only skate 1 program)

Nam Nguyen - Connaught SC
White suit with bright blue trim & music notes on legs 2f2t / 2z2l / combo spin has excellent camel pos / side split spiral / another combo spin with great extension / strt ftwrk has a real sense of musicality and turns going both directions / 2z2t / great spread eagle into 1a / flycam to a donut / - good flow over the ice quiet edges - he was fun to watch tot 31.27 currently 1st (of course)

Sam Pignatelli - Abbotsford / black with red sash around hips and red flames on bottom of pants / lunge into axel / 2z2t1l / 2f almost had it bit of hand down and then fell / spin positions are a bit weak, but spin was centered / 2l just about hung on to landing / then I missed something / 2f turns 2t fell on toe / his jumps have very nice height / strt ftwrk is well chor’d to music / 2s / flysit is quite good / tot 21.87 currently 2nd

Brenden Thew - Spruce City FSC - black with sweater effect on top white shirt with red tie / 1f spun out a bit / camel pos is a bit weak but he’s working at it sit is farly good / 2s / spread eagle seq into 1a / 2l didn’t really get off ice fell / 2z didn’t either and a fall / strt ftwrk and he picks up speed for it and is moving better - nicely done / split jump seq into 1? / 2s2l stumbled out of it a bit / nice crossfoot spin to end / tot 16.68 currently 3rd

Broderick Thompson - Whistler FSC
Shades of grey tpshirt black pants / sit ch sit is quite good / 2z2t / 2z stumbled out a bit / spiral is quite nice into 1a / 2l is nice / 2s2l bit underrot on sal I think / 2f / I missed something chatting to a lady next to me / tot 20.06 currently 3rd /

Shane Firus - North Shore Winter Club / black with bit of orange trim down front of shirt / nice speed & flow / 2? 1l 1l 2l / 2z2t / back cam sit open leg to front sit - very nice spin - sit pos are great and camel is quite good / I think it was a 2f waltz jump / 2l / caught toepick & fell near start of O ftwrk then finished the footwork - what he did was very good / flycam sit is good / 2z / 1a / 2s / back sit is excellent to an excellent front sit / 28.08 currently 2nd /

Zhao Kai Pang - Vancouver SC / black with bright orange on lower part of sleeves - shiny pants / 2a2t / sit ch sit excellent fast front pos back is ok - not as good as front / 2f under rot turn out / flycam has fairly decent pos / I missed a jump that must have been good - there was some applause / side split spiral / 2l / 2t I think / speeds up with the music for strt ftwrk which is quite ok / 2s1l / 2z fell / camsit ch sit bit of xfoot to end the spin / tot 25.14 currently 3rd

Jordan Ju - Coquitlam SC - bright lime green shirt with black suspenders fluorescent applique’s on pants / 1a / 2z2t / 2f2t1l / nice fast tight air pos / a true back xfoot spin!! / back hydro blade / 2l / 2f fell / combo spin has very nice pos except camel is weak / 2s / 2z / strt ftwrk is very nice with some nice twizzles / flysit has ok fly - tuck needs to be a bit better / tot 28.16 currently 2nd /

Rosaleen

Medalist
Pre-Novice Men - Short pgm

Rory Carlton - Glengarry FSC - all in black
Didn’t really see him skate - getting coffee & chatting during the ice-make / I did see quite a nice camel spin with a flyover to back camel / 11.67 currently 1st

Liam Firus - North Shore Winter Club - bright blue shirt with black pants
Flysit has ok fly - nice broken leg spin pos / and I know this jzzy bluesy music / 3s bit bent forward on landing 2t / moves well over the ice / 2a almost had it weird fall forward / diag ftwrk is musical and flows well - bit of trip in the middle / nice camel spin ch cam pos is extended well on front and ok on back / 2f out ftwrk / combo spin started with loopy camel nice sit pos ending in xfoot / it seemed that he started rushing things after the fall on the axel / 25.85 currently 1st /

Wade Warwaruk - Racquet Club of Victoria - dark red t-shirt with black edging black pants / Camel spin has very good speed on the front and ok on back - pos need more extension / 2z2l fell out of landing a bit but hung on one foot / 1a / combo spin had very nice front sit and unique bent over pos - lost it a bit on the change of foot / 2f but looked like a z to me / diag ftwrk covers ice nicely - a little on the simple side / flysit had trouble after about 3 revs / 14.45 currently 2nd /

Kurtis Hori - Connaught SC - black with dark grey vest effect on one side of top cream on other sleeve / Some chor to start showing off his extension & flexibility / combo spin with positions to die for in a boy this age - great extension on camel beillman is lovely as is sit / fell on double jump that I’m notsure what it was - front part of combo / 1a / camel ch camel with nice pos variations / some chor / 2f is high for his size but bit of wrap on the free leg / strt ftwrk is well done / flysit had a bit of trouble on landing and never really got the spin centered or moving right / 21.92 currently 2nd /

Pollux Yeung - Vancouver SC - black & white horizontal striped t-shirt black pants / 2a fell - did a really nice one in warm-up / there’s bits of very good chor in the program / 2z2t bit loose in the air but good height / flysit - fell / strt ftwrk moves well / cam ch cam has ok pos and speed / 2f / combo spin has great tuck sit on front and good positions and speed on the back - the only pos lacking somewhat is the camel / 22.72 currently 2nd /

Leonardo Maekawa - Racquet Club of Victoria - yellow & orange horizontal striped shirt - plaid pants - think Kurt’s Ragidon costume / circus type music starting with train whistles / 2z2t / camel broken leg sit upright ch sit open leg - nice spin / 2f - night tight air pos / 1a / he’s moving quite well over the ice and really expressing the music - some fun bits of chor and he seems to be having fun with it / diag ftwrk is very good / back hydro blade move / cam ch cam is a bit slow with fair extension / flysit is ok / some chor into his closing pose / 22.18 currently 3rrd /

Qwynn Dalmer - Vancovuer SC - bright red shirt with black collar & cuffs & wavey design on back / some chor to start / 2z2t / 1a / flysit is good - nice fly & tuck / cam ch cam is kind of slow and needs more extension on free leg / diag ftwrk moves well and expresses the music - fairly complex - bit of slip in the middle / 2f / cmob spin has nice broken leg sit pos on front and inside edge on back / 21.03 currently 5th /

Dylan Archambault - Connaught SC - top is divided in 4 panels blue/ dayglo orange lime green & yellow / Starts with some dancing in place at centre ice - nice dancing / 2a high - bit tight on landing but stayed on one foot / 2a2t / camel ch camel has good extension on front and ok on back - bit slow / strt ftwrk expresses the music - well done / flysit nees more fly but the spin is very good / 2f / combo spin with good pos & speed / - nicely skated program / he has good flow & speed over the ice / 27.97 currently 1st /

Kevin Caron - Arctic Edge / all in black with diag blue bands across chest /
2a bent forward and skiddy on landing but hung on / good speed & flow / 2a2t / back camel with quite good pos starts the combo spin and nice sit and various other pos as well - I’d say the best combo spin so far - definitely the best speed throughout the spin so far / diag ftwrk shows levels and with music / travel 3’s into back cam ch cam - little bit slow and pos is weaker than in the combo spin / huge fly forward sit with great tuck and nice low sit pos /
25.67 currently 3rd /

Michael Chang - Connaught SC - black with white stripe across shoulders and down arms blue down side of legs / some chor to slow pipe sound / flysit has ok fly good tuck pos on sit - could be lower & faster / 1a / he’s using his whole body in the chor / and I know this music - someone used it last year / 2z2t / combo spin has pos changes timed to music - quite good pos / diag ftwrk works with the music / 2f from ftwrk / cam ch cam back pos is better than front - both need some work on extension / 21.08 currently 7th /

Cameron Gibson - Vancouver SC - black with white design on back and one side of front of shirt / nice spread eagle / cam ch cam with excellent front pos and ok back / 2f with hands over head / 1a / combo spin - sit pos could be lower - spin was centered with quite good speed / 2l2l and pushed through on 2nd loop to hang on to landing / flysit didn’t land it right and never really spun / strt ftwrk is soso - flows well but needs to work on posture / 18.19 currently 9th /

Rhys Anderson - Kerry Park SC - shades of light & dark grey top black pants - gloves / right into strt ftwrk to driving music - uses his whole body and moves very well with the music but a fall in the middle of it / flysit has good fly and quite good tuck - spin is good too / 2a2t / cam ch cam good speed & centered ok extension / 2a / he’s skating to his music / ftwrk 2f / back cam starts the combo spin that has very good pos with the exception of a bit of a weak camel - ended in xfoot (that wasn’t as good as the one I saw in warmup) / 26.48 currently 2nd /

Bryan Chau - Coquitlam SC - black with shiny horiztonal band across back and bright pink & lime green striped tie / 2a I think it was a double / 2z2t / cam ch cam with ok pos - needs more extension (seems like I’ve been writing that a lot for this group of boys) / 2f / flysit barely gets any fly / bit of chor into strt steps - they move ok and his coach is trying to push him to skate faster / sorry missed the combo spin as someone came by me to say hi / he didn’t really skate to the music (although you could see he was trying to) 16.54 currently 11th /

Graeme Gordon - Sun Bowl FSC - black with blue diag on one side of top and one sleeve / right into strt steps from opening pose - chor’d to music and he’s doing a fairly good job skating to the music / 1a or was it a double - not sure what I saw / combo spin is very slow - pos a bit weak - centered though / 2z is spinny and low and I think under rot - not sure if he did the 2nd jump / 2f as well spinny, low & possibly underrot / cam ch cam is slow with soso pos but centered and he hung on for the required revs (at least I think he did) / 15.20 currently 12th /

Rosaleen

Medalist
Junior Men - Short pgm

Andrew Lum - Vancouver SC - dark red satin shirt with bit of black detail, black pants / Bethovan’s 5th - some chor to start to the dadadadum / 3z hands down 2t - nice height on jump good speed into it / ftwrk 3f fell fully rot I think / blycam with leg variation - nice extension / strt steps use whole body move well / 2a / back sit ch sit fast good pos & centered / O ftwrk pretty good but seemed a bit rushed / combo spin starts back - very good spin - pos, speed & centering / 43.2 currently 1st /

Patrick Wong - Vancouver SC - lime green shirt with dark blue swirls pattern royal blue pants Some good chor to start - right with music - think it might have been his strt ftwrk / 3z fell fully rot - he almost had it - fell off the edge / ftwrk 2f / back sit ch sit - great spin fast & low & centered with nice variations / bailed out of the axel after about 1-1/2 revs / flycam with variations is good / O ftwrk is good and with music / combo spin to end with nice xfoot - very nice spin / 39.25 currently 2nd /

Jeremy Ten - Vancouver SC - mainly black with orange/purple diag blousey top on ½ half / Dramatic heavy music and some chor to match to start the program / great speed into 3z3t had to really fight to stay on 1 foot on the toe / ftwrk 3f leaning in air and turnout / flycamel with beautiful layover position / spin had sit pos in it - nice / strt steps are good as are the O ftwrk - moving very fast with expression / ina right into 2a / combo spin fast & centered with good pos / very good program - shows real maturity in his skating / 54.28 currently 1st /

Joel Beales - Sandy Shores SC - black & white print top black pants / music starts with sound of rain and some chor to get us started / 3l leaning in air - managed to rotate it I think step out / 3f fell - might have been fully rot though / sit ch sit is quite good / his posture has improved but still needs some more work / strt steps are ok / 2a / back sit ch sit / O ftwrk moves well - maybe a bit simple / flycam has weak free leg / 28.21 currently 4th /

Mitchell Wallace - Racquet Club of Victoria - black with t-shirt effect on top trimmed in white with white design / catch foot spiral to melancholy music to start / 2a / music picks up now / 3z rotated step out 2t / combo spin - didn’t see camel pos but sit ch sit was good as was the xfoot to end / ftwrk 2f / O ftwrk is ok / flycam is very good - nice extension on free leg / diag ftwrk is kind of slow and stiff / sit ch sit is very good / He’s a fair bit slower than the 1st 3 skaters / 33.48 currently 4th /

Rosaleen

Medalist
Pre-Novice Men - Free pgm

Due to horrible traffic, I was a half hour late getting out to Chilliwack so I didn’t see the first skaters The scores shown are the overall total for both the short and free programs.

Rory Carlton - Glengarry FSC -
Graeme Gordon - Sun Bowl FSC -
Wade Warwaruk - Racquet Club of Victoria -
Bryan Chau - Coquitlam SC -
Leonardo Maekawa - Racquet Club of Victoria -
Cameron Gibson - Vancouver SC -
Michael Chang - Connaught SC - didn’t see much of his skate, just the end but by his costume I’d definitely say he was skating to batman

Kurtis Hori - Connaught SC - black with gold stars down one leg / got here just in time to see him skate, but not organized to take notes during his program / he has some good chor that showed off his flexibility & extension / he still has a bad wrap on his more difficult jumps, but it’s not there on the easier ones 63.55 currently 1st overall

Qwynn Dalmer - Vancovuer SC - black or navy with lime green stripes down leg and arms / Dragnet ?? / saw 2 double jumps - not sure what they were (still getting organized) then a 1a / music change to something almost circus sounding and some chor to match / 2t2t I think / 2l nice air pos and rotation / combo spin is a bit slow sit pos is good / 2z2l bit under rot on loop and fell / music picks up the beat but still quite light / diag ftwrk is a bit slow and unsteady / 2l I think / back sit ch sit - back sit has good position but lost the spin on the front / 56.45 currently 4th

Kevin Caron - Arctic Edge - red top black pants - black stripe on shoulders and down arms / melancholy music to start / nice high 2a bit tight on landing / 2z2t2l / think it was a 3l - leaning in air fell / spin had a bit of trouble in middle I think ended with a nice xfoot / 3s landed on toe on 2feet / 2f / travelling 3s into back camel sit ch cam sit - nice open leg pos at end spun on an outside edge / 2z / diag ftwrk shows different levels and moves with the music / 2a hand down didn’t see the 2nd jump / huge death drop to end / most of his jump landings have an ungainly look to them - as if he’s putting his hand out to save himself from falling (even when he doesn’t need to) 65.6 tot currently 1st /

Rhys Anderson - Kerry Park SC - black with dark gold vest effect on top / program starts out with a bit of a bang and gets your attention / 2z2t2l - nice air pos - neat in the air / flysit is ok / 2a hand down 2t / 2s / back upright spin to sit to xfoot - nice spin bit rough in the transition between positions / strt ftwrk is wirth the music and moves quite well / he generally seems slower than I remember him / 2a then ? jump / he is skating to his music for the most part / back cam has ok cam pos to sit to upright back sit xfoot - I really like his variations on upright pos / some chor with a 2? I think but didn’t really see it / 2f / 76.4 currently 1st /

Liam Firus - Vancouver SC - black with touch of red at his neck / Black Magic Woman / 2z2t - very nice / 3s / he moves so nicely over the ice / very good spin with lovely pos & speed / 2a1t / very soft knees on his jump landings / I missed a jump combo / sit ch sit is a bit weaker than I think is usually for him / strt ftwrk is complex with a twizzle near the end that he fell out of / 2t / 2z / 2a low & forward on landing gbut clean / nice spin to end / 80.04 currently 1st /

Pollux Yeung - Vancouver SC - black with shades of blue tunic effect / 2a / 2z2t / there’s some nice chor touches in here / 2l2t bit stakey on landings of both / flysit trouble on landing and didn’t get the spin going / 2f / 2l fell / 2s2t / sit ch sit with mushroom on front and tuck on back / strt ftwrk moves well - with music / 2z / his air pos is quite good and his landings are quite soft / very nice combo spin to end with nice extension on the camel / 63.48 currently 4th /

Dylan Archambault - Connaught SC - black or dark navy with silverish belt / nice fly into death drop / 2z2t nice jumps / he’s moving very well across the ice / 3t rotated but fell / 2a fell / some nice chor touches here / back sit mushroom ch sit with variations / 2a / music picks up / 2? Didn’t see takeoff turns 2t / 2z / strt ftwrk is right with music and some nice features / nice extension on camel to start combo spin / 71.39 currently 3rd /

The top 4 skaters go on to the Western Challenge in Moncton, NB
Liam Firus
Dylan Archambault
Rhys Anderson
Kevin Caron

Rosaleen

Medalist
Novice Men - Short pgm

Max Correia - Williams Lake FSC / Black with joined circles in various colours appliqués / 3t turns out hung on to stay on one foot 2t / spread eagles / 2a step out hand down / cam ch cam - free leg pos is quite weak / ftwrk 2f / flysit very good fly & tuck but got stuck on the landing never spun / strt ftwrk has some nice sets of twizzles / combo spin almost lost the starting camel and had to hop the sit ch sit & upright pos were good / I think his posture has improved from last year, but still needs work / 21.96 currently 1st (of course)

Josiah Early - Racquet Club of Victoria - red shirt with black pants & suspenders / swing music / flysit very good spin but fly is a bit weak / dia g ftwrk moves very fast across the ice / 2a fell - think rotated / combo spin is fast & centered with quite good pos - quite a nice spin / ftwrk 2f hand down / 3t didn’t get off ice - bad pick and too swingy / cam ch cam front was ok but trouble on the change and the back was weak / 17.92 currently 2nd

Tyler Leduc - Sandy Shores FSC - white shirt with tux effect ½ in black other in silver (same as last year I think) / flysit with great height & tuck - good spin / powerful skater / 2a had it then step out and fall / 3s2t bad lean on the toe and hand down - how he managed to land it at all is a wonder - sal was very nice though / I missed the spin that came next / diag ftwrk is with the music - good / ftwrk 2f landed right on beat of music / combo spin good speed & centering - sit pos were excellent - xfoot got away from him a bit / 24.92 currently 1st /

Robbie Harrison - Kelowna FSC white shirt black pants with vest with orange pattern on front / some very good dance chor to start / moving very well across the ice / 3s2t / cam ch cam front was very good with great extension back pos was weak and he almost lost it / strt ftwrk is right with the music and expresses it - very good / combo spin way quite good - xfoot - back camel pos again was weak / nice split jump into 2f / 2a / flysit good height & tuck nice spin pos / 33.35 currently 1st /

Braeden Donaldson - Racquet Club of Victoria / white top with a light grey pattern black pants / some interesting chor to start / flysit with good height and tuck - good spin pos / 3s 2ft fell out might not have been rot / combo spin good sit pos ending in xfoot / strt ftwrk moves well & with music - fell at the very end / 2a hand down / ftwrk - 2f / cam ch cam - centered but pos is a bit weak / 22.42 currently 3rd /

Jason Smith - Vancouver SC / white t-shirt with green shamrock on front - black pants / celtic music / 2a kind of bailed and landed on 2 feet / flysit with good fly & spin / some step dancing / 3s2t almost had hands down on sal but held off / cam ch cam with quite good extension / ftwrk 2f bit wild in air but landed it / strt ftwrk in time & character of music / combo spin is ok - a little on the slow side - nice extension on camel / 23.92 currently 3rd /

Jason Cheperdak - Oak Bay SC / black with white checkerboard on one side of chest / bit of chor to start into 2f / flysit has excellent spin pos & speed fly is ok / 1a / crowd is clapping to the music / strt ftwrk is with the music - slows down a bit white the music is getting faster / very good cam ch cam - nice extension / 2z stepout turn 1t / combo spin is excellent - great pos, speed / 24.11 currently 3rd /

Christopher Cowell - Mt Boucherie FSC / black with red - think Yagudin’s winter costume / I know this music dramatic - famous / 2z2t with the toe landed right on the music / cam ch cam is quite good - extension needs a bit more work, but not bad at all / 1a / some chor / flysit with very good fly & tuck / strt steps aren’t quite as dynamic as the music demands / I missed something with people moving arou nd in front of me / combo spin to end is very good / 23.24 currently 5th /

Ian Paone - Racquet Club of Victoria / dark grey top black pants / spread eagle right into 2a / chariots of fire I think / combo spin has excellent sit pos / 3s fell - think rotated / cam ch cam is very loopy on front / diag steps - 1st half all on one foot - bit slow but since it’s all on one foot, pretty good / ftwrk 2f / flysit very good spin / 23.15 currently 6th /

Ronald Lam - Coquitlam FSC / black with I think flame design on one side and leg / very nice 2a - great air pos / 3z hand down fully rot 2t (and yes I'm quite sure it was a lutz) / flysit - didn’t see fly - spin was good / ftwrk 2f / cam ch cam is a bit slow and pos are pretty good - need a little more extension / strt ftwrk is very good with music and moves well / back cam (extension was better on this spin) sit xfoot ch sit upright - good combo spin / 36.72 currently 1st /

Rosaleen

Medalist
Junior Men - Free pgm

Joel Beales - Sandy Shores SC - black suit jacket effect grey pants / some nice chor to start then music builds / 3s turnout 1t / I might have missed something right at the boards in front of me / 3l fell / 3z awkward landing / sit ch sit is ok / 2z or was it a f / 3l / Keegan Murphy is coaching him / 2?2t - awkward in air / popped sal / strt ftwrk is a bit stiff / axel sit spin? Not sure spin was weak / 2a fell / combo spin is soso / O ftwrk moves very well / back xfoot spin to end / 50.93 gr tot 79.14 currently 1st /

Mitchell Wallace - Racquet Club of Victoria - black shirt & pants / some chor to start into 2a / 2l / nicely extended cam start off a very good combo spin ending in nice xfoot / 2t / spin that ended in sit that I didn’t see the 1st part of / diag ftwrk is right with music / 1a hop turn 2s / O ftwrk is chor’d to music - he’s alittle awkward doing the steps / 2z / 3s under rot hands down / 2f / nice spread eagle / 2t2t / back xfoot is excellent / 61.32 gr tot 94.8 currently 1st /

Patrick Wong - Vancouver SC - black pants diag white on one side of top black semi sheer on other / nice opening chor to set the dramatic mood / 3z fell - nice in air / ftwrk 2f2t / 3s wild on landing but held it / huge flysit with variations ending in xfoot / 3t2t / 3l fell - think rotated / sit ch sit with very good pos & speed / strt ftwrk is complex and with the music - moves well / now the music is batman / 2a turnsout 2t / 3t / O ftwrk again is complex / 2a landed right on beat of music / combo spin to end is very good / 83.33 gr tot 122.58 currently 1st /

Andrew Lum - Vancouver SC - black or very dark maroon pants gold trim on front of top / some dramatic chor to start / he gains speed so easily / flying into 3z fell / 2a / 3t2t / back cam starts the combo spin / 3t / spread eagle into 3s / 2l / back sit ch sit with variations is fast low & centered / strt ftwrk shows levels and quickness - moves well / 2s2t / 2a / huge death drop to fast sit with variations / O ftwrk into closing pose / 81.61 gr tot 124.81 currently 1st /

Jeremy Ten - Vancouver SC - black with yellow design on e side orange on other / dramatic violin music to start and appropriate chor / 3z3t nicely done / 2a / 3f lost himself in the air and bailed onto 2 feet / diag ftwrk uses whole body - nice / spiral turns 3l fell / flycam with level variation into sit then upright with hands behind back - nice spin / 3t little forward on landing / 3z / 2a2t2l bit of turnout on loop / sit ch sit excellent pos on front & back front is much faster / 3s2t / O f twrk moves well uses whole body maybe a bit simple? Not sure / combo spin to end is excellent / 100.53 gr tot 155.81 currently 1st /