Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Johnny at SC Exhibition Finale

Custom Title

Johnny at SC Exhibition Finale

Has anybody seen this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sbiBKg5Gho

For God's sake, can someone Johnny loves and trusts tell him to stop those reputation destroying behaviour?
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 11-17-2006 at 08:57 PM.

Custom Title
    What I just couldn't get over was the incredibly cheese-ridden choice of "My Way" as his music. So not a Sinatra fan.... But in the video here, while he could certainly have chosen to show off an actual skill like the other skaters, it was really just silly fun.

Tripping on the Podium

That's just Johnny being a goofball. I don't see how that is going to hurt his reputation.

Go NJ Devils
    It was funnier in context, given the routine Gary Beacom and his wife had them do before this segment.

Custom Title
    Maybe call it "image" is more precise than call it "reputation". I don't get it. How can a person skate so heavenly beautiful and inspiring on ice, be so loose, sometimes disgusting off the ice?(Oh, well, this, for one, was on ice.) That's just Johnny - Everybody would say so.

I tend to block out the off ice Johnny and remember only the on ice Johnny. If one day he makes his image on ice like the image off ice, I will forget about him totally and forever.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 11-12-2006 at 10:25 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    He has personality and he's willing to show it on the ice, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure if you're no longer a fan because of it, it's no big loss him. I thought it was hilarious.

Rinkside
    Johnny's a goof-ball and it's rare that he shows that side of himself on the ice. For years he's been criticized for his balletic, sober style on the ice, never smiling while performing. If you watch his "My Way" from the exhibition, you will see he is smiling at the crowd and interacting with them...this is new for him.

So he cut lose and did a wacky funky-chicken dance, how is his reputation destroyed?

Custom Title
    Can someone clarify -- what did Weir do??? I don't get it.

all I could see in that video was Johnny shaking his bod. Nothing else or did I miss something?

Joe

Tripping on the Podium
    He skated to the center of the ice under spotlight and danced (aka hip-thrusted) to the audiences on either side. The crowd seemed to like it-- lots of cheering.

Maybe it was inappropriate because usually, skaters just wave and do jumps/special moves?

Rinkside
    Nope, that's it.

Custom Title
    I guess I just don't get what the problem is/was...but thanks for clarifying.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by riverflows View Post
    Maybe it was inappropriate because usually, skaters just wave and do jumps/special moves?
    Well, at least it was something different.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post

For God's sake, can someone Johnny loves and trusts tell him to stop those reputation destroying behavour?
    I don't think this will destroy his reputation Other skaters did this move too in their programs.

And for the first time he did something funny!

Rinkside
    i always thought galas were supposed to be funny and entertaining! so he did something funny, what's wrong with that??? i am sorry i could not see the whole thing to have a complete image.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast