Johnny at SC Exhibition Finale | Golden Skate

Johnny at SC Exhibition Finale

rain

Record Breaker
What I just couldn't get over was the incredibly cheese-ridden choice of "My Way" as his music. So not a Sinatra fan.... But in the video here, while he could certainly have chosen to show off an actual skill like the other skaters, it was really just silly fun.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
It was funnier in context, given the routine Gary Beacom and his wife had them do before this segment.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Maybe call it "image" is more precise than call it "reputation". I don't get it. How can a person skate so heavenly beautiful and inspiring on ice, be so loose, sometimes disgusting off the ice?(Oh, well, this, for one, was on ice.) That's just Johnny - Everybody would say so.

I tend to block out the off ice Johnny and remember only the on ice Johnny. If one day he makes his image on ice like the image off ice, I will forget about him totally and forever.

Last edited:

riverflows

Rinkside
He has personality and he's willing to show it on the ice, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure if you're no longer a fan because of it, it's no big loss him. I thought it was hilarious. :laugh:

totsuwa

Spectator
Johnny's a goof-ball and it's rare that he shows that side of himself on the ice. For years he's been criticized for his balletic, sober style on the ice, never smiling while performing. If you watch his "My Way" from the exhibition, you will see he is smiling at the crowd and interacting with them...this is new for him.

So he cut lose and did a wacky funky-chicken dance, how is his reputation destroyed?

riverflows

Rinkside
He skated to the center of the ice under spotlight and danced (aka hip-thrusted) to the audiences on either side. The crowd seemed to like it-- lots of cheering.

Maybe it was inappropriate because usually, skaters just wave and do jumps/special moves?

emma

Record Breaker
I guess I just don't get what the problem is/was...but thanks for clarifying.

gio

Medalist
For God's sake, can someone Johnny loves and trusts tell him to stop those reputation destroying behavour?:no:

I don't think this will destroy his reputation :laugh: Other skaters did this move too in their programs.

And for the first time he did something funny!

patinaj

Spectator
i always thought galas were supposed to be funny and entertaining! so he did something funny, what's wrong with that??? i am sorry i could not see the whole thing to have a complete image.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I just saw a performance of Twyla Tharp's Waterbaby Bagatelles this afternoon, and I almost fell out of my seat when one of the men did exact same shimmy in his section of the choreography!

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
Oh, pa-leaze prudish much? Lots of skaters do silly stuff during the gala's. They also just did a goofy gala segment right before. If it had been any other skater people would have found it funny but, b/c it's Johnny it's inappropriate.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NOTHING wrong with what Johnny did.

And by the way, it's exactly that sort of funky stuff that Alexei Yagudin does as a professional.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I personally have no desire to see Johnny "shake his thang" out there (and I said the same thing about Viktor Petrenko) but I defend to the death his (and Viktor's) right to do it; the whole point of the exhibition, after all, is to get out there and have some fun and if that's what they consider fun.....

Now, Michael Weiss, Kevin van der Perren, Ivan Dinev, can "shake their thangs" out there ANY time..... :biggrin: :biggrin: :clap: :clap:

He skated to the center of the ice under spotlight and danced (aka hip-thrusted) to the audiences on either side. The crowd seemed to like it-- lots of cheering.

Maybe it was inappropriate because usually, skaters just wave and do jumps/special moves?
Some people are more sensative than others.