Question about GP final? (Spoiler Warning) | Golden Skate

Question about GP final? (Spoiler Warning)

krenseby

Final Flight
(Warning: GP Events are spoiled in this post)
I am confused about what is needed for each of the top ladies to make it to the GP final.

Take Joannie for example.. She won Skate Canada but has she been guaranteed a spot for the final?

Does she need to medal at another GP event to be guaranteed a spot?

And what about the Cup of China winner Julia Sebestyen? Does she need another medal to go to the GP final or is she already guaranteed a spot?

Sk8harvest

Rinkside
This should be posted in the ISU GP Events folder - there is probably one for the GP Final by now. But to answer your question, I believe the top six points earners are qualified for the GP final. Winning one GP event will earn the winner 15 points. Winning just one event might not enough to be in the the top six for total points earned, although I think that did happen for Michelle Kwan a few years ago - she won SA and did not compete in any other events. She still qualified for the GP Final but elected not to go.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think a minimum of 24 points is needed to make it into the final, and it is possible that there will be several skaters with 24 points, so the total points won in two events will be an important tiebreaker.

krenseby

Final Flight
Question about points

I think a minimum of 24 points is needed to make it into the final, and it is possible that there will be several skaters with 24 points, so the total points won in two events will be an important tiebreaker.

If a first place win nets a skater 15 points, how many points do second-place and third-place winners get? As for those below the top 3 spots, do they get any points at all?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
If a first place win nets a skater 15 points, how many points do second-place and third-place winners get? As for those below the top 3 spots, do they get any points at all?
Points for placements are as follows (int order): 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, 5, 4, 3. Beyond that, it's 0.

In case of ties (which happen frequenty), I believe tie breakers work as follows:
1. Whoever has had the highest placement (so, 15 and 7 will win over 13 and 11)
Usually, this alone is enough to break most ties
2. Highest sum of two events' actuall scores.
This always breaks the ties. The rest of the rules are really there on paper only, I doubt it will ever come to actually using them
3. Participating in two events as opposed to one.
4. Highest sum of two events' FS's (or FD's) scores.
5. Highest FS (or FD) score
6. Highest sum of two events' SP's (or OD's) scores.
7. Add total number of competitors in the skater's events. Whoever has a highest competitor total wins.
Rules actually stipulate that if there is still a tie, both skaters get into GPF. I think that's rather like saying that if aliens land on earth all skaters get into GPF. Now let's all see Ptichka be proven wrong :laugh:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the Junior Grand Prix, you sometimes see singles skaters with 22 and 20 points make it to the JGPF, but then eight skaters go to the JGPF, only 6 to the GPF. Here's how the tiebreaker works for skaters with 24 points.

1. The skater(s) with 15 points (for a win) + 9 points (4th) take precedence over those with 13 + 11 points.
2. If there is still a tie for the 13+11 group, the total points scored from both events is used to rank the skaters The top scorer(s) get the nod.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
When did the ISU change the points system? It used to be 12, 9, 7, 5.......etc.

I noticed the change when they showed the standings after the SC broadcast. Is this new this season?

Yes, it's new this year.

Since the first tie-beaker is best single placement, it is unlikely that the point system will make any difference. Although as ChuckM pointed out on another thread, if the new system had been in place last year, Elena Sokolova would not have made the Grand Prix Final (it would have been Rochette instead).