Thoughts on SC on TV | Golden Skate

Thoughts on SC on TV

Just my surprises:

How wonderfully Putnam and Wirtz are coming along. A very nice team whom I enjoyed in SA in 2005.

Big improvement over 2006 SA for Vise/Trent despite the handicap of mirror image skating.

The entire Men's splat, although I saw some hope in Sawyer this time. If any of these guys wanted 15 points, it was there for the asking. I think what Lambiel was saying was that he was basking in his laurels and not practicing.

The refreshing and loveable team of Dubreil/Lauzon. No pain, No angst, No Struggle. Just the passion of Love and Happiness. How many dance teams can show that? Davis/White had a respectable senior debut.

Not surprised at Joannie's win. She was overdue, and Yu Na is becoming iffy. Very surprised that Allysa did not go all to pieces. She should have the confidence to medal at CoR.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
Joe, I agree completely with your thoughts!
I really enjoyed the telecast ...

I don't know what was going on with Johnny ... it just seemed to me that something was wrong with him. He needs to get it together ... he's too talented a skater to have these things happen.

Joe, I agree completely with your thoughts!
I really enjoyed the telecast ...

I don't know what was going on with Johnny ... it just seemed to me that something was wrong with him. He needs to get it together ... he's too talented a skater to have these things happen.
We can only spec. I think Johnny has personal problems. Skating may not be his prime interest in life today.

Joe

Tesla

Final Flight
Why is Yu Na iffy? This was her first senior event, and I think she did very well. Even with her errors, I thought she was much better than Mao. Besides, Mao faltered at Skate America. I know Mao won her GP events last year in her first year, but I wasn't that impressed with her last year and I think the judges were more enamoured with her triple axel than anything else. I thought Yu Na did really well.

As for Johnny Weir, I just chalked it up to a new program early in the season. I really don't have too many expections this early. I figure everyone is just getting back into competition mode and are working out the kinks before Worlds.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
This is the place to put down some thoughts about it I hope. I am late in viewing but I wanted to put in Just a FEW general observations. I remember seeing or JMOs.

Stephan Lambiel Zeba / Tiger / snowflake/ water outfit, I believe it it would be nice to see that disappear. When I heard about the fall on the spin entry I really didn't understand just how horrid that was until I saw it. I was ready and anticipating it being ugly to see, but wow was that ....beyond what I expected. Hey the ice is slippery and things happen, but it still shocked me none the less. The LP was wonderful other than that ridiculous outfit. IMO

Paul W, Like the comments but just so many and so often. I feel it was even more than Dick. His comment about the pro being 50% of the score still matters made me feel good but wonder how true that really is. He ranked Rene at the top of all ladies in the Death Spiral.??? Not that I am second guessing this but have to wonder when I feel I have seen better. Although last year I saw better from her and it might just be the foot.

Suzie W Rules the com spot!!!!

Takahashi's Foot work:bow: Look out Kurt and Plushi, there is a new stud in town. WOW!

I think Val and Craig might be fine just staying together as a couple and stop looking at ulterior things influencing their skating. The fact they are looking at "other" things being a factor of distraction is a distraction in it's self. It was passionless.

Dubreuil and Lauzon:bow: Only Dance they aired here. Wonderful. See what happens without the clothes drop prop??? In jest. That was lovely, I enjoyed that as much as seeing Fumie, Joannie or Yu-Na. They are truly wonderful to watch!:bow:

Joannie's Tech score??????? Not that I am the greatest judge but 62??????? That was way over inflated to me. Particularly after the discussions here about skate noise and how hard she skates. I would have thought more like a 54 - 56 maybe was going to come up. And Fumie ( I am TRYING to be unbiassed) should have received 55 in Tech and a 55 in PCS (58 IMO but I know I am Bias). Yet Joannie's PCS were 2 or 3 points under what I thought it should have been too. As far as Pres, that was the best I have ever seen JR "look" on the ice. It was the first time I truly felt a lot of joy when watching her. Either she has improved with her persona on the ice or I need to get a smaller shoe to fit in my mouth. Also (not that is should matter) that was the prettiest I have seen JR.

And I will reiterate, Fumie was under scored in Tec and PCS FOR SURE!!!! I didn't like the start of her routine with the arms (elephant thing) but that smile was a heart warmer for me to be sure:love: The second SSQ possition needs (still) to be extended (straighter leg would do it IMO, not even higher) more or incorporate a new one. But it was really smooth and solid!!!!! Yah I know what the issues and how insurmountable, but I think that is another place where she is going to win based on others "screwing up." To bad the crowd went lackluster during her LP, hate to say anything close to negative about the Canada fans - and not meant negative - but I think that really had a effect on everything. I will agree with Paul, they are better than the states for sure, but I think it underestimated how the skaters need the crowds approval and encouragement as well. They were CONSIDERABLY quieter during Fumie and Alissa then any other televised. But still a great skating community, and it goes to show how important the audience can be to the skaters performance and judges influence IMO.

One thing I have always thought FS stood above the rest of the sports was fans response and support of all competitors. I know it is naturally going to be greater for the home town fave, I was just surprised at the difference in individual skaters regardless of country. Really surprised with the way the audience was during Alissa more then anyone.
As for Johnny Weir, I just chalked it up to a new program early in the season. I really don't have too many expections this early. I figure everyone is just getting back into competition mode and are working out the kinks before Worlds.
I think he is getting Sasha syndrome or something. He is really frick'n hard on himself. The look in his eye and emotion building up under his shoulders. And like Tesla is saying that is likely a good thing to take into consideration. I don't think it makes any difference whether he has 100 fans or 1, he skates alone (which could be beneficial) and can't understand where or what is going on - like I could anyway:laugh: . But I don't think he does either. Loved his little fluff piece. I do like the guy. And I like the "Idea" behind the new direction. But here again I don't think that is or was an issue to change for his skating's sake, just his persona.

Yu-Na, I see why she has been a hot topic.:bow: :bow: The SP was the only Ladies I saw and I can see why the put it in. Wonderful, she is simply wonderful!!!!

OK that's it, sorry I was late in viewing. BTW even though I have joked about the Bielmann, I fully support the new ruling on the position / catch foots.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Why is Yu Na iffy? This was her first senior event, and I think she did very well. Even with her errors, I thought she was much better than Mao. Besides, Mao faltered at Skate America. I know Mao won her GP events last year in her first year, but I wasn't that impressed with her last year and I think the judges were more enamoured with her triple axel than anything else. I thought Yu Na did really well.
Sorry, Tesla, for using the 'iffy'. I was hurried into writing that post and I could not think of anything else to say. Yu Na is quite a skater as I saw in a youtube clip of last year's juniors. Skate Canada was not up to that but as you say it was her first senior event.

Your are correct about early expectations. I though Johnny's SP at Cambells was quite promising and this LP wasn't terrible. It just wasn't a Wow thing.
We'll see what happens in the next GP. I do have some fear that his personality may be changing which may affect his performances. It's just a spec. I have no evidence otherwise.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Johnny clearly was underpracticed on his FS. Stands to reason, after the long post-Olympic tour. His FS was underwhelming but it was not a disaster. I really like the music and I think he does, too. There were moments when you could see he was really into it, but he didn't seem to know which moves came next.

I expect a big improvement at CoR.

I thought Joannie Rochette was overmarked. She is powerful, but not particularly graceful and all her arm and hand movements seemed so practiced, as opposed to Yu-Na Kim's, which seemed to flow naturally. She had the pop on the 3L, as well. She is another skater who just can't seem to do a clean program.

She is going to need two clean programs at TEB to compete against Ando, Meissner and Kim. I think Kim was a bit mad at herself for messing up a little at her first GP event and will be looking to turn it around this weekend.

Joannie's Tech score??????? Not that I am the greatest judge but 62???????
Well, that's the whole point of the CoP. No one has to be a judge at all, greatest or not. You add up the points for the elements that she did. That's it.

If you don't think that she should have got 62 points, are you saying that she should not have received 7.30 points for a 3Lz/2T combination? Or that she should not have received 3.50 points for a level 4 change-combination spin?
But the rules say that this is exactly what she gets, judges opinions or no judges opinions.

In discretionary points on the tech side (GOEs) Joannie got less than one-and-a-half points.

lanadd

On the Ice
The refreshing and loveable team of Dubreil/Lauzon. No pain, No angst, No Struggle. Just the passion of Love and Happiness. How many dance teams can show that? Davis/White had a respectable senior debut.
Joe

I do believe that almost every team can show love and happiness:)) Why do you think it is so difficult to show this emotions in a dance?Imo it's the opposite: these are the easiest and simpliest emotions to show in a program

I do believe that almost every team can show love and happiness:)) Why do you think it is so difficult to show this emotions in a dance?Imo it's the opposite: these are the easiest and simpliest emotions to show in a program
I also look at the body language and the facial expressions. Most skate dancers for me skate with the "triumph over adversity" attitude. That's what I see. Nothing wrong with that but it is prevalent, imo. Other fans see things that I do not see. That's ok. It's a subjective look at dancing.

Joe

lanadd

On the Ice
I also look at the body language and the facial expressions. Most skate dancers for me skate with the "triumph over adversity" attitude. That's what I see. Nothing wrong with that but it is prevalent, imo. Other fans see things that I do not see. That's ok. It's a subjective look at dancing.

Joe

yes i must agree, looks like it is a metter of taste:))

Larisco

Spectator
Dubreuil and Lauzon Only Dance they aired here. Wonderful. See what happens without the clothes drop prop??? In jest. That was lovely, I enjoyed that as much as seeing Fumie, Joannie or Yu-Na. They are truly wonderful to watch!
Just curious to know what a clothes drop prop is?

And guess what...Cup of China Airs Next Week. Lol, I'm just now watching this tape and I'm pretty sure that they said this at every commercial break!

shine

Record Breaker
I thought Joannie Rochette was overmarked. She is powerful, but not particularly graceful and all her arm and hand movements seemed so practiced, as opposed to Yu-Na Kim's, which seemed to flow naturally.

I'm glad that's your own opinion :chorus:

I haven't looked at the protocols yet, but I think Joannie got the high tech score that she did because although her spins are not amazingly fast or varied in their positions, she has adequate to pretty good speed, and almost ALL of her spin entries in this program have got some transitions into them (ie. she did her homework and studied CoP carefully this year, finally). Her steps are quite difficult with a lot of edge work and one-foot skating, and pretty well done. Also, The quality of her jumps is just great.
Besides landing less number of jumps than Rochette, Suguri didn't even attempt a loop OR salchow. And I find her program to be lacking a bit in transitions.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Just curious to know what a clothes drop prop is?

Boob flash at Olys - meant as a joke really, but I don't think that indicating that you are reveling your breasts to the world INTENTIONALLY is appropriate for Amateur competitive FS IMO. Amateur FS is not that place (pro is fine, the skaters are individuals at that point.). And just so anyone is aware, I have NO problem with nudity, but there is a time and a place. If that would have been the outfit to start I think that is fine. I hope I am not the only one to see the difference in promoting nudity and just having something be a part of the look of the costume. It is the "undressing or exposing/flashing" that sends the wrong message. I think they should lift the Kat Witt rule and put in a No flash or undressing or unnecessary lack of cloathing of "privet areas" rule. Just comp at the Jr. And Senior Levels.

Also MM, you are correct as usual. I don't think some of the +s were correct .... but the real point is that It still would not have made a difference and Joanne did deserve the win. Yet I am with the comment as Chuckm presented, that the scores were IMO over inflated as well. But particularly the pcs, I have watched it a few times now and feel the home crowd was the deciding factor in the scores coming out so high in the "art." It was her # of components that made it for her in tech. IMO

But I will say that is the BEST I HAVE seen JR skate a LP, where as Fumie's was the same consistency I usually see - but her choreography was wonderful and SpSq was very very steady especially for her. FS out scored JR in 4 of the 5 pcs by a great deal IMO, and Trans/link was only a diff of .25 - .5 IMHO in comparing the 2. The components set in JRs routine were going to get the points even if two of them were "fulbbed":p

Last edited: