Plushenko searched in Moscow | Golden Skate

Plushenko searched in Moscow

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Original: http://www.sports.ru/section.html?docid=286269

Evgeni Plushenko improperly searched on Lenin prospect

Last nigh aroung 9 PM on Lenin prospect in Moscow, police stopped a car with Olympic figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko, his driver, and two business partners; they were searched, including improper treatement. Ari Zakarjan, Evgeni Plushenko's agent who is currently in America, expressed confusion and weariness about the incident when talking to sports informational agency "All Sport".

"When Evgeni Plushenko called me to let me know about the incident, he was truly in shock", says Ari Zakarjan. "He was returning with his Moscow and Saint Petersburg business partners from filming once of the TV programs that will soon be shown on one of the channels, and will be devoted to promoting sport, physical sducation, and a healthy life style. Driving down Lenin prospect, the driver noticed a police "Zhiguli" behind them. He said it seems they're "hunting" us. Soon after, police turned on the lights and ordered the car to stop. Luckily, there was no show with handcuffs or "hands shouldwidth apart". However, one of the two cops allowed himself improper treatement such as "Get out!" and "Show it now!". I consider this absolutely unacceptable in regard to an Olympic champion who has brought much glory to his country. At first, the cops searched the driver, then Evgeni Plushenko himself, then his business partners, then the car. They checked their pockets, and even Zhenja's skates. If they were looking for something illegal, they obviously didn't find it. It all took about 20 minutes, after which the cops left without appologizing. Evgeni and his friends were in such a shock, they didn't even remember the cops' names. I'll repeat - luckily, there were no violations that could take this to court. I, however, as Evgeni Plushenko's agent, am confused and weary".

Source: "All Sport".

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Now that I transalted this, I can also express my opinion. I don't see what the big deal is, frankly. Sure it doesn't sound nice and rosy, and I can certainly see how someone subjected to this treatment would be in shock. However, the fact that this is making it into all the news seems much like a ploy to attract media.

antmanb

Record Breaker
However, one of the two cops allowed himself improper treatement such as "Get out!" and "Show it now!". I consider this absolutely unacceptable in regard to an Olympic champion who has brought much glory to his country.

I don't erally understand why his agent thinks he should get special treatment because he is an Olympic champion? If you disagree with teh behaviour then disagree with it, but to use the rationale that it should happen to him because he's an Olympic champion is ridiculous.

Like you say Ptichka - i can't understand what the big deal is - nothing bad happened, he was subject to a police stop for 20 minutes...i'm sure he's not the only Russian who's ben subject to this.

Complain about the behaviour not about the person it happened to.

Ant

I don't get the stop and search of anyone unless there are strong reasons for doing so.

A better report of this incident would include 'what exactly they were looking for' and 'what made them suspect the car they stopped' and 'did they apologize to the driver and the passengers?'

There are always 'hit' lists but I don't think Evgeni was singled out, but there was something about that car which brought on suspicion.

Will we ever know he full story?

Joe

backspin

On the Ice
I don't get the stop and search of anyone unless there are strong reasons for doing so.

Oooo, Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!

My guess is that things are done differently in Russia; like someone said, I doubt he's the only one this has happened to. I wonder if they even knew who he was? It doesn't say whether they were questioned at all, re. names etc.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Oooo, Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!
Exactly!

Most likely, police saw an expensive car and took a guess that there might be something non-kosher there that would allow them to get a nice fat bribe.

Of course, the "we're not in Kansas" works the other way too. Meaning that in the US even if you are stopped and searched with no reason you're probably no fearing for your life. You know that the police is not going to just bash you brains in for no reason what-so-ever (yes, of course, there are cases like Abner Louima's, but it's the exception; my Russian friends couldn't even understand why I was so shocked by it). I Russia, that's not at all a certainty. Most of my friends in Russia say they are more afraid of cops than they are of criminals - the latter could still have a heart, while the former most certainly do not.

The speculations are fine. Getting stopped and searched in the US just may be because of the color of your skin. Someone could look like a drug addict or a terrorist. At least when your famous, it doesn't go further but if you are not, your guilty until you prove your innocense.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
The speculations are fine. Getting stopped and searched in the US just may be because of the color of your skin. Someone could look like a drug addict or a terrorist. At least when your famous, it doesn't go further but if you are not, your guilty until you prove your innocense.

Joe

Doesn't always help the famous. Hall-of-Fame baseball player Joe Morgan got stopped at LAX, and hauled into a room for questioning by having his ability to breath impaired. Jury verdict on Morgan's suit for violation of his consitutional rights -- 90K compensatory damages, 450K punitive damages (this was in 1993)

antmanb

Record Breaker
Exactly!

Most likely, police saw an expensive car and took a guess that there might be something non-kosher there that would allow them to get a nice fat bribe.

Of course, the "we're not in Kansas" works the other way too. Meaning that in the US even if you are stopped and searched with no reason you're probably no fearing for your life. You know that the police is not going to just bash you brains in for no reason what-so-ever

Well if you're white and middle class you can make that assumption...anything else and i think you always have that little bit of fear...

Ant