S

Show 42

Re: Michelle loves English, math and psychology

Thanks emiC.....that is a great article and I enjoyed reading it........:) 42

M

mathman444

Thanks, emiC.

Does Michelle want to meet the Dalai Lama? I can arrange it! My sister knows him, having been an English tutor to his entourage and their children in northern India when the Lama had to flee Tibet in the Chinese takeover.

Michelle on her progress at UCLA:<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>It's just so hard because I have a class here or a class there. I haven't had a chance to sink my teeth into that. I want to be able to concentrate on it and not be distracted doing other things. I don't want any part of the education to not be as good as it can be. Doing it halfway is not satisfying. I don't want to just skim by. I want to get through it and feel good about it.[/quote]Even so, a class here and a class there is better than nothing. Michelle may want to wait until she can immerse herself totally in the college experience without "distractions," but that time may never come. You can learn anywhere, any time. I hope that Michelle continues to grab the occasional class here and there. Ten years from now she can always go to graduate school full time if she wants the whole bag.

Mathman

S

Show 42

The "college" life and "experience" is highly over-rated....the completition of the courses, in which ever time frame she choses, is the important goal. It can take four years or forty. Doesn't matter........Wow, you can arrange a meeting with the Dalai Lama? How cool is that? Sounds like your sister has lived, in part, "The King and I" live, Mathman. Hook Michelle up!!!! 42

M

mathman444

Show42: Actually, it was pretty cool how my sister fell into that job. She was studying in India under a Fulbright fellowship, and her husband-to-be, a comparitive religions professor at Columbia, just happened to be one of the few Western Scholars who both spoke and read Tibetan fluently, so they made a good team.

One of the sad things was that the Tibetan religious refugees had no money, so to support themselves they had to sell their treasured icons and Buddhist works of sacred art. So a bunch of museum (or temple) quality pieces ended up being hawked on the street.

MM

PS. Lottafs: Yeah, dog. Michelle, Shaq and Kobe -- the three homeboys hanging out at the LA gym.:lol:

R

rgirl181

Michelle didn't cry at "Icecastles?" Even Mean ol' Rgirl cried at "Icecastles!" J/k. Though seriously, the acting and direction of the film is much better than you would think given the story.

Mathman, I agree with you that I'd like to see Michelle just take one or two courses a semester, whatever interests her, and not think about "doing it right," although I can understand the desire to do so. One of the reasons Michelle is so good at what she does is that she focuses so completely, and I can understand her wanting to do her education the same way she did/does her skating--giving it her all. But considering her circumstances, I think getting in one course a semester keeps one's brain in "school" shape. I think it's great that she's reading psychology, but some of the self-help books out there--yeesh. And even with the good ones, I think there's a lot to be said for having an instructor who challenges you to think in different ways and other students around. I also agree with Show. For me I wasn't interested in having a "college experience"--however one defines that--but I am very glad that I have the courses behind me. Even being terribly rusty at it, physics and math strengthens a certain way of thinking in your brain that I think is valuable even if you never integrate something again in your life. Same with other courses. For example, after taking graduate level anatomy with full cadaver dissection, you're just able to see the body in a whole new way. Plus there's so much I wish I would have taken.

Anyway, I think the longer you wait the harder it is to go back. Although I say it's never too late and know people who have gone back to get their bachelor's in their sixties, I still think education in general, almost no matter what it is, as long as there is some kind of challenge to it, trains and expands one's brain--and not just intellectually. I got a lot in terms of spirituality and emotion from my literature classes. I can understand her wanting to just concentrate on skating this past year, but I hope next year she tries taking a course. In addition to UCLA, she's got many great learning institutions near her. I'd just love for her to take advantage of it. And she doesn't have to worry about tuition, it's just that dang job of hers:lol:

Boy, first you live near Michelle's manager, now your sister has an "in" with the Dalai Lama--I see synchonicity happening between Mathman and Michelle;)
Rgirl

S

sk8m8

I can certainly understand Michelle's desire to "immerse" herself in her studies. It's a great way to broaden your mind and your learning stategies. The "colegiate experience" is such a nebulous term, though. For some that means the comraderie of Greek life, for others it's the chance to meet people from all walks of like and experiences.

For me, going back to school at forty was far more beneficial than my first time around. To quote Linda Elerbee " At 19 I had trouble finding my backside with both hands and a roadmap." When I returned I was there to learn and grow and I was hungry for the knowledge and information.

I hope Michelle never confuses education with classroom experience. Miss Kwan has had quite and education already and it is one that few can or will ever be able to claim. I wish her all the best in her future educational endeavors. I just hope in time she is able to realize that putting what you've learned in school and in life together is the halmark of a "great educational experience"