Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: American TV Alert: Next 3 GP events to be shown on ABC instead of ESPN

Down With It

News American TV Alert: Next 3 GP events to be shown on ABC instead of ESPN

The next 3 GP events have been moved from ESPN to ABC, but with one hour less coverage:

http://www.usfsa.org/Event_TV_Schedule.asp

Starts this Sunday from 4-6pm (eastern) with Cup of China. Check your local listings as always.

I think there will be repeats on ESPN with the full three hours of coverage so technically we haven't "lost" anything. This could only be a good thing and if enough people watch maybe more events will be moved.

Thanks RD for the heads up.

Does this mean I will not get my NACAR races this Sunday?

Joe

Down With It
    I think ABC/ESPN are picking up Nascar starting next year (2007).

This is a good start, but I'd have preferred if they moved Worlds and Europeans instead. Maybe that's coming as well? (knock on wood)
    Last edited by R.D.; 11-16-2006 at 10:34 AM.

They should move the Worlds to late Spring. Think of the tourist trade?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    This is a good start, but I'd have preferred if they moved Worlds and Europeans instead. Maybe that's coming as well? (knock on wood)
    And the men's at the Nationals.

Custom Title
    I'd rather they keep it on ESPN and show all three hours. The re-broadcasts won't happen for months.

Keeper of Bab's Death Stare... nubka's Avatar
    Well, there's always Youtube...

Custom Title
    When I checked my listings (for Ventura, California) yesterday on line, CoC was still listed on ESPN.

Medalist
    Im with nubka: there's always You Tube and you watch it when you want it. Thanks to "allmyfault" and anyone else who posts the vids on You Tube.

Down With It
    The updated schedule is on the ESPN schedule now (which includes ABC sports):

http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/index

Hmm, YouTube is good for seeing the programs RIGHT NOW, but in the end I tend to favor quality, so I prefer the TV broadcast. Much clearer and bigger picture.
    Last edited by R.D.; 11-16-2006 at 04:02 PM.

Still, to me it's not really a sporting event if it's shown a week later and we already know who wins. Where's the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, and all that?

Michigan-Ohio State is coming on TV on Saturday, and is expected to draw a huge audience. Who's number one? But if they taped it and showed it a week later, who would bother to watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Hmm, YouTube is good for seeing the programs RIGHT NOW, but in the end I tend to favor quality, so I prefer the TV broadcast. Much clearer and bigger picture.
    100%. I am still surprised at the poor quality of the vids on YT, if you were to even compare that with Google vids it is quite discouraging. Even if I change the resolution of my comps display, it helps but not nearly enough to feel like I had a satisfactory viewing experience.

And one ever present fear is when will they start cracking down on the illegally posted videos, will they do something like what the NHL has done?

I still think that I wouldn't mind paying 50 cents for HQ video as iTunes does for a song video. Maybe a dollar for the SP and LP. I would love to download that!

One good(possibly the only good) that comes from FS not being so popular is the fact you can steer away from results a lot easier then with other sports. Such as, not to know the out come until you want. I did not know the results of SA until I watched, but on the other hand I accidentally found out the SC results. This does require being careful, but I really hope it becomes more popular and is aired closer to "real time" and then the worry isn't there anyway.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 11-16-2006 at 05:39 PM.

Custom Title
    Hey, that's great news. I'm in Canada, and therefore can't get ESPN, but I do get ABC. The Canadian coverage of the GP events on CBC isn't for ages (not til December, I believe) so it will be nice to at least get a preview.

I would still love to see someone like GS pick up a "IceSkateTube" of only ice skating related videos posted. I 'spose the two main issues are "copyrights and servers."

How do / would we donate money to GS anyway??? Could there be a way to get Speedy to say OK? Advertise the Broadcasting network on the page playing the video? Like Survivor does but as a syndicate having advertisements prior to each routine. Man I wish I had some equity to at least try.

Sounds like a lot of problems, just trying to get the ISU to OK viewing of events on the same site as COI clips??? But it is time they start getting along anyway.

Oh well, dare to dream.

Tripping on the Podium
    I try to avoid finding out the results of a competition until it airs. You have to be somewhat diligent, but it can be done. It helps, of course, if non-spoiler boards remain truly non-spoiler. It is just how I prefer to follow the sport and enjoy the broadcasts.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast