Tom Collins Sells COI to AEG | Golden Skate

Tom Collins Sells COI to AEG

R.D.

Record Breaker
hmm, not sure what to think here. Maybe the "international" part means that the tour will go to other countries as well (besides Japan)?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I understand that "AEG" is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Anschutz Company. Hmmm..................................

kittyjake5

On the Ice
I understand that "AEG" is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Anschutz Company. Hmmm..................................

That is interesting. I think Kwan's boyfirend is Christopher Anschutz. I wonder if it is the same family.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I hope the tour can be revived. I already have my tickets purchased for this year.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
For some reason I get the feeling this will be a good thing.:agree: Tom had some flaws IMO that hopefully can be addressed now.

This outfit owns lots of sports teams and facilities. I bet they will try to put on more of a "Stars on Ice" show, with more of a permanent cast, more group choreography, more bells and whistles, etc.

First things first, though. They'll rename the show MOC (Michelle on Ice). :laugh:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
First things first, though. They'll rename the show MOC (Michelle on Ice). :laugh:

:laugh: Wouldn't that be "MOI"? (As in "It's all about MOI?")
I remember saying, after I saw the show in SF this summer, that Michelle is always going to close COI even if she needs a walker to assist her spirals. Now that's practically guaranteed!
xoxo
Rave

nymkfan51

Medalist
I definitely think this is a good thing. COI was in trouble financially, and AEG has plenty of money ... a good fit, if you ask me. At least now we can pretty much figure that COI won't be going away anytime soon. :clap:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
:laugh: Wouldn't that be "MOI"? (As in "It's all about MOI?")
I remember saying, after I saw the show in SF this summer, that Michelle is always going to close COI even if she needs a walker to assist her spirals. Now that's practically guaranteed!
xoxo
Rave

Not necessarily. The article mentioned about international tours, so I doubt Michelle with close COI in Russia, Japan -- or any other place outside the US

Last edited:

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
AEG is developing facilities in London and Berlin.

Hmmmm? :confused: Weren't they the company planning to build an ice complex and arena to host Worlds at the Millenium Dome, but the ISU didn't say yes to London's bid? I think it may've been.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
And extremely right winged and anti-gay.

Makes me wonder how much we will be seeing of Rudi in future COIs???? It scares me because from the stand point of said "personalities of" right winged and anti-gay it is generally experienced that they will place their ideas on what others should have exposure to, when the other school of thought will allow for both to be represented. I really love MK but if she turns out to be a advocate for people not having this freedom, my opinion will diminish rapidly. If she takes her stance (wheter I agree or not) but doesn't pass judgment and impose "restrictions", that is fine and will love her just the same. She is free to be what she wants as much as ANYONE ELSE IS. Just don't "hurt" others.

There are only 3 types of "anti" I can agree with fully.
Anti-hate • anti-pain • anti-judgmental, well maybe more but drift given.

I just pray (to the God I believe in) that COI doesn't start becoming a Christians On Ice. Still a show I would see, as long as they didn't try to tell me not to go see a FOI (freedom on ice). Nothing against anyone as long as they aren't trying to hurt or take away other peoples rights, Let God be the Judge of sin please. I give acknowledgment to anyones ideals as long as they don't try to tell other ideals (non violent / hate, etc..) what they should and shouldn't do - that is not "ideals", that is Fascism.

So anyway, if someone like Rudy isn't allowed to participate, or they make it unbearable for anyone with this type of mind set (passive aggressive is just as hurtful / spiteful IMO) to participate, I not going to be behind it. I hope they tackle advertising a bit more aggressively then Tom did, and leave the "personal preference" issue out of determining who is in it.

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

Rinkside
Makes me wonder how much we will be seeing of Rudi in future COIs????...... I really love MK but if she turns out to be a advocate for people not having this freedom, my opinion will diminish rapidly. If she takes her stance (wheter I agree or not) but doesn't pass judgment and impose "restrictions", that is fine and will love her just the same. She is free to be what she wants as much as ANYONE ELSE IS. Just don't "hurt" others.

So anyway, if someone like Rudy isn't allowed to participate, or they make it unbearable for anyone with this type of mind set (passive aggressive is just as hurtful / spiteful IMO) to participate, I not going to be behind it. I hope they tackle advertising a bit more aggressively then Tom did, and leave the "personal preference" issue out of determining who is in it.

I don't think that would happen. And anyway, MK is usually careful about keeping whatever personal she has to herself.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
FWIW, on the page thanking the cast for the 2006 tour, Rudy's picture is present and so is the picture of Johnny Weir. The picture of Michelle Kwan, also on the 2006 tour, is absent::

http://www.championsonice.com/skaters/

So far, I've heard that MK's contract ran out after last season, and has not yet been re-negotiated (probably waiting to see how the surgery turns out), but I haven't heard such rumors of contracts ending for Rudy (or Johnny), which makes me think they are set for next year.After all, if AEG did terminate skaters for being gay, wouldn't Rudy say something? Or Johnny (even if it was only Rudy who was affected?)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
After all, if AEG did terminate skaters for being gay, wouldn't Rudy say something? Or Johnny (even if it was only Rudy who was affected?)

I would hope they would all drop out.:agree: Of course morons here in Colorado didn't bother to realize the amendment "i" about gay rights gave specific clarification of "marriage is only between a man and a woman," and making discrimination illegal of gays...well maybe that was the issue. Jerks don't want gay to have rights and gays want it to be defined as Marriage??? whatever OT. Sorry.

As far as I can tell around Colorado Laws said discrimination is extremely hard to prove, and proving it of AEG...good luck. I hope it doesn't play any factor what so ever, EITHER WAY. Keep that out of it IMO.

And like I said, If MK has her ideals, fine. But if she tries pushing them off on others or dinieing people of equal rights based on sexual preferance..... She wont loose a fan of what she did, but she wont have a fan of her actions in the future - if that is what aspires. Which I doubt. And at present I admire her still regardless if our POV may differ. Her Pic is still on my wall.