Ladies Results Spoiler | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies Results Spoiler

neraiselle

On the Ice
Yes, splatfest.
Miki fell on her opening combination, triple lutz/triple loop, trying to do the second part of the combination (would have fallen anyway).
Yu-Na fell as well but I can't remember on what element. Maybe a second triple flip.
Kimmie did the triple lutz/triple toe, then went for the triple axel, made the rotation but couldn't stay on her feet. Nice try though.

Yu-Na fell on her last jump, an unsupported position leading into double axel.
She stepped out on the triple salchow just before that. It was excellent, but I guess she kinda lost her concentration at the end.

With Yu Na and Miki taking their falls, why do we concentrate only on Kimmie's fall?

BTW, doesn't anyone have anything to say about Susanna?

Joe

Mehdi

On the Ice
Suzanna had a good skate. Nothing stellar but a good basic program. She was the first to skate.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In Pairs, the following may join Innoue and Baldwin: Pet/Tik, Zhan/Zhang, Shen/Zhao, Obertas/Slavanov, Nari Nam/Leftheris, Marcoux/Buntin

Joe

Nari Nam / Leftheris had only one event and according to ISU rules cannot be assigned another. With 13 points there is no way they would make the final.

The Pairs finalists I see as: Inoue/Baldwin, Petrova/Tikhonov, Zhangs, Shen/Zhao, Savchenko/Szolkowy, and whoever places third at NHK: Obertas/Slavnov or Marcoux/Buntin.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'm excited that Yu-Na is going to the GPF...And I believe she just got the highest PCS so far this season for this performance. She is obviously quickly moving up to the top of the judges list.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People forget that Kimmie is not her best in the early season. She builds throughout the season to peak at Worlds. If she doesn't make the final, so what? Instead of having to spend two days traveling to and from the GPF in Moscow, a day or two of 1-hour practices, two days of competition, then another two days recovering from jet lag, she will have all that extra time to work on her programs.

Historically, making the GPF (or even winning it) is no guarantee of end-of-season honors. Last season these top skaters DID NOT GO to the GPF:
Olympics: Men's and Ladies OGM winners, Ladies silver medalist, Pairs bronze medalists, Ice Dance silver medalists.
Worlds: All the Ladies medalists, Men's silver and bronze medalists, Ice Dance gold and bronze medalists.

GPF Ladies Champions of 2002-2003 (Cohen) and 2003-2004 (Suguri) did not medal at Worlds the year they won the GPF championship.

Joannie Rochette won GPF bronze in the 2003-2004 season, had a great Nationals, then bombed at Worlds.

The only two ladies who won both the GPF and Worlds the same year were Michelle Kwan (1995-1996) and Irina Slutskaya (2001-2002 and 2004-2005). But Irina's win in 2001 was controversial (she bombed the final FS but won anyway). Mao Asada won the GPF last year, but lost Junior Worlds to Yu-Na Kim.

Bourne/Kraatz won GPF gold in 2001-2002, but finished off the podium at the Olympics and had to settle for silver at 2002 Worlds. Lobacheva/Averbukh, who didn't even do the GP in 2001-2002, won Olympic silver and World gold.

evenstar

Final Flight
I can't believe Kimmie was given credit for a triple toe in her triple lutz-triple toe combo! It was a 1/2 turn cheated!:scratch:

With Yu Na and Miki taking their falls, why do we concentrate only on Kimmie's fall?

BTW, doesn't anyone have anything to say about Susanna?

Joe

Kimmie didn't just fall but popped a couple of jumps. There also seemed to be long draggy stretches where she wasn't doing much of anything. And her footwork didn't sparkle. JMO, but it didn't seem like she was on at all. Whereas Yu Na and Miki delivered very good skates with relatively minor errors.

Again they strike me as fire and ice. Miki is much more exciting to watch but Yu Na has the goods, no doubt about that.

I only watched half of Susanna's skate - sorry, it was not too interesting. Haven't seen Joannie yet.

NorthernLite

On the Ice
indicatoto said:
Last year, she won because she skated like she never did before, a lights out program (jump wise anyways) while SC imploded and Fumie didn't skate her best either.
blahblah and Sarah H. only won the OOOOOs because others made mistakes blahblah ... ;) (That popped into my mind because the way some people diss and underestimate Kimmie is starting to feel awfully familiar to how some people treated Sarah during her run.)

You've forgotten the details of last season. Kimmie had great free skates (inc. 7 triples and two 3/3s) in at least two other events prior to Worlds. (And possibly in other ones too - I'm just going by my own memory.) It was mistakes in SPs that kept her from medalling in the GPs. By Nats she was skating very well and consistently, despite being sick.

So I think there's a pattern. As others have pointed out, she grows in her strengths as the season progresses.

I don't understand why some people keep thinking that *she'll* keep having mistakes and no one else will. Or that she'll feel the pressure more than they will.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The question is if Kimmie is really capable of doing the triple axel fully rotated and landed in competition. I think Kimmie can place in the top 3...

She did it once at Nats (although just barely squeaked it out), so I can't see why she wouldn't be able to do it again. IMO, the question that she needs to ask herself is, is it really WORTH it? But I applaud her for trying it. Shows that she is not the conservative kind (yet).

People forget that Kimmie is not her best in the early season. She builds throughout the season to peak at Worlds. If she doesn't make the final, so what? Instead of having to spend two days traveling to and from the GPF in Moscow, a day or two of 1-hour practices, two days of competition, then another two days recovering from jet lag, she will have all that extra time to work on her programs.

Historically, making the GPF (or even winning it) is no guarantee of end-of-season honors. Last season these top skaters DID NOT GO to the GPF:

:yes: that's true as well. Goes back to what I said on the first page. Better that Kimmie be where she is now than burning everyone else's socks off.

Last edited:

indicatoto101

On the Ice
blahblah and Sarah H. only won the OOOOOs because others made mistakes blahblah ... ;) (That popped into my mind because the way some people diss and underestimate Kimmie is starting to feel awfully familiar to how some people treated Sarah during her run.)
strengths as the season progresses.

I don't understand why some people keep thinking that *she'll* keep having mistakes and no one else will. Or that she'll feel the pressure more than they will.

I've never concentrated on her mistakes while ignoring others' mistakes. What I'm basically saying is that Yu-na Kim, Mao and Miki have more talent than she does. If they skate their best and she does also, should would probably land off the podium, in fourth. Of course, if she skates a lights out program and others falter, she'll probably win. But in that icase, why are we concentrating on others' mistakes and not her's.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kimmie gets dinged sometimes for underrotating 3/3s, but a 1/4 cheat is permitted. I believe Miki Ando's 3/3s are sometimes downgraded to 3/2s as well.

This is still the very early season, folks. Most of the skaters are still getting comfortable with their programs. They are ALL making mistakes.

Didn't the Caller catch that? If not who else saw the cheat?
The judging panel didn't see it either. Her GOEs were two -1's, one +1 and all the rest 0s. Even if the cheat is less than a quarter turn, the judges are still supposed to take something off on GOE if they see an underrotation.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The question is if Kimmie is really capable of doing the triple axel fully rotated and landed in competition. I think Kimmie can place in the top 3, but I think Mao and Yu na are better than her ability to ability
She did a fully rotated triple axel in the warmups at 2005 Nationals at Portland, and it was terrific. Sadly, the one in her LP itself was flawed, but warmups showed she has the technical ability to rotate and land the jump.

rjulie510

Rinkside
Kimmie gets dinged sometimes for underrotating 3/3s, but a 1/4 cheat is permitted. I believe Miki Ando's 3/3s are sometimes downgraded to 3/2s as well.

This is still the very early season, folks. Most of the skaters are still getting comfortable with their programs. They are ALL making mistakes.

There are people who says Kimmie toe-axels second half of her 3/3 combinations (triple toe) badly. I haven't seen enough of Kimmie's skates to comment on this, but some people at FSU were surprised her 3/3 here even got ratified. Afterall, Mao got hammered for toe-axeling. (Rumor has she re-worked her toe loop technique this summer)

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
I personally thik it is a sad year for skating when the ladies world champion can't even get get close to winning an event. Wll she even make the podium at all this year at worlds?

Why not? She never even made it onto the GP podium last year. This season Meissner has medaled in both of her events so maybe she will outdo herself at Worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Maybe is the key word. Generally speaking she makes her way up as the year goes by but she could also slip up at worlds. I hardly imagine she would duplicate her 06 worlds performance at 07 worlds, but maybe she can do enough to win (or medal). I mean, how many skaters have multiple "performances of their lives" nowadays? Even Shiz didn't do that (at Olympics).

If I were her, maybe try abandoning the 3A and see what happens.

Fossi

Final Flight
I am starting to really hope Kimmie does well at Worlds. I think there are people that want her to fail becuase she pulled a great "upset" at Worlds last year. But, did she really pull an "upset?" Sasha fell, per her usual performance, and the judges haven't ever been very "kind" to Fumie.....enter Kimmie that outskated both of them. What were the judges supposed to do? Reward a Cohen splatfest? Hold her up again? In the past they might have, but how could they deny that Kimmie deserved the win?
I think she'll do great at Worlds. Let people count her out, let the Japanese ladies duke it out at GPF, and let Kimmie go in unnoticed at Worlds.