Ladies LP Report | Golden Skate

Ladies LP Report

Anna

On the Ice
Poykio, Munich

3F2T, 3L2T, 3S, FSSp, lfS, 3R2T, CoSp, camel, twS, coe, U, 2A, 1L, LSp, SpSt, coe, fan bo, hB bi, 3F, CCoSp, in the corner once again, SlSt, good edgework, not much of speed.

Great comeback after the disaster in SP. She is really miles ahead of the rest of this group, it's a shame to see skating first in it.

Bobilier, Legende d'Automne, La Lecon de Piano

3S2T, 3T2T no runout of it, 2A, FCSp, 3S fall, LSp, SpSt, 3T fall, 2A, CCoSp, SlSt, 2R, CoSp.

Weak, the only good thing about her is the positions in spins, the rest is quite mediocre.

Marchei, Adios Nonino

3L fall, 3F hand down, 2A, CSSp coe, bl // coe, 3S fall, FSSp, forward one, bl, coe, SpSt, coe hB, bi, bo fan, 2L2T, 2A2T, 3S2T2R, to dead stop, CCoSp, SlSt, in character, CCoSp, camel, sit, coe, Y // ?

No in betweens and hardly any character outside step sequence, just a rush after jumps.

Didier, Hook

3F, 2R, 2L2T, CCoSp, camel, sit, lf // sit Y, good one, 1L, 2A fall, SpSt, coe B, 2A step out 2T, CoSp, back sit, Y, 2F (?), FSSp, forward one, lf, SlSt, LSp, sideways, b2h.

Good spins with neat positions and good centering, but the jumps were mess.

Radeva, Maksim Mrvica

2A, well done, with nice spring, 2F, 2S, 1T, SpSt, fan, turnover, coe, hB, LSp, 3T, FSSp, 3S, CCoSp, camel, sit, clS // coe sit, Y, SlSt, 3T2T, FCSp, FSSp.

Technically it was somewhat better than yesterday, but she has neither expression, not choreographical content in this program.

Kim, Lark Ascending

3F3T, very smooth, 2A3T, LSp, 3L, CSp, camel, coe, broken camel, donut, SlSt, nice flow, 3L2T, FSSp, twS, lfS, 2A, 3S, step out, SpSt, 2A right out of spiral, fall, CCoSp, camel, sit, twU // sit....

Very soft, smooth and lyrical. Shame about the mistakes in the end, it was really good up till that moment. She still could use a bit more power, but otherwise she is great.

Rochette, Don Juan

3F fall, 1L, 1R, CoSp, b.camel, sit, coe, twS // f. sit, f. U., SlSt, 1F, 2A/steps/3T, CCSp, twS // lfS, SpSt, 3L, 3S, CCoSp, FSSp.

She sort of gave up on her jumps right after take off in the first half of the program. Looked really upset about it too, and started to go through the moves.

Calvez, Moulin Rouge

3T2T, 3L crushed on u.r. attempt, LSp, 2F, SSp, forward, blS, coe, SlSt no flow whatsoever, 3T, SpSt, very low hB coe, bi, 2L, SSp, twS, coe, 2S/steps/2S, 1A, CCoSp, camel, broken camel, layback // hB, sit, U.

Last year LP, rather poor performance overall.

Ando, Violin Concetro

3L fall, 3S, 3F, FSSp, SpSt, really low upperbody on the change of edge, 3L2T, 3T2R, 3F2R, 2A, CoSp, SlSt, lot of arm flapping, CCoSp, LSp, b2h.

She is a puzzle. Normally if the skater has problems with posture the TV made it ten time worse than in reality. Slutskaya is a really strong example of it. She often look horrible on TV, while in person she was so powerful that this power completely overshadowed whatever posture problems she might have. Ando seems to be completely the opposite. Or may be she just skated poorly here... But she was very impressive on Tv and in person she unability to keep her back straight is really getting on my nerves.

Meissner, Galicie Flamenco

3L3T, tight landing on lutz, but she still went for it, 3A fall (stepped out of two attempts during warm up), 3F1T she just popped the toe and landed on two feet, making it look like a "choreographed" hop, not what it makes it any less of mistake of course, SlSt, CCoSp, 3S, SpSt, 1R, CSSp, back to forw., bl, cl, coe. FCSp, hB rather poor one, 3L, 2A2T2R, no flow about of it and no height on doubles. CCoSp.

Very good, I really liked her skating here. Neat positions, good flow, I do not understand why her marks are so low, I definitely have her ahead of Ando by noticeable lead.

Zukowski, Armen's Variations, Henry VIII

3R, 2L, CSSp, back sit, twS, 2T, 3S, 1A (was stuggling with it in warm up, I haven't seen any double attemps), LSp, 1L, SpSt, FSSp, SlSt, 3S2T two footed the toe, I think, CCoSp.

Untidy with little attention to bodyline.

Snowgirl

On the Ice
I've read that Ando is suffering from back pain, maybe that's why she couldn't hold her back properly. Pity for her in this case.

R.D.

Record Breaker
thanks for the report. Too bad about all the falls.

Does Kimmie REALLY need that 3A? Anyway, kudos to her for going for it.

If the report re. Meissner being better than Ando shadows what most people thought, then maybe it's a sign that the world champ is no longer going to be held up, and that's a good thing in itself.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
If the report re. Meissner being better than Ando shadows what most people thought, then maybe it's a sign that the world champ is no longer going to be held up, and that's a good thing in itself.
But if she was better than Ando and got lower scores, how would getting the appropriate scores mean she was held up?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I was referring to the tendency for world champions getting HIGHER scores than they deserve, not LOWER scores. It just seems kind of weird to me that they would hold the world champ DOWN instead of up (or giving the appropriate scores). Then again, we're only relying on one person's opinion...we need to see the event for ourselves to make sure.

Fossi

Final Flight
I never really thought they "held up" any World Champions. If anything, they were judged based on a higher standard. It seems this may be going on with Kimmie this season, just as it has been done in the past.

nymkfan51

Medalist
First of all ... thanks so much Anna for all your reports ... they were so appreciated!

Re: Miki/Kimmie ... thus far this season, Kimmie has not been better than Miki, IMO. Kimmie has some decent skating skills, but she has made too many jump mistakes. Let's see how things shake out if she skates 2 clean programs.

I really think the 'held up' positiion in figure skating is not so prevalent as before and I would never say that Amercians were ever held up.

Miki is a more experienced skater than Kimmie going back to 2004 Worlds. Miki was not at her best for that year or the next, but she improved this recent year.

Kimmie got her senior experience in 2006 and picked up quite a few medals and now for the GPs she is continuing to pick up medals.

If it took 3 years for Miki to blossom, I think we can give equal time for Kimmie. I'm just not ready to write Kimmie off right now.

I still look forward to Miki continuing her putsch this year and I am expecting Mao and Yu na to be right up there with her.

Next year it will be Caroline Zhang!!!

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
Joe, I agree about Zhang ... if she doesn't get injured, she is going to make her presence known, IMO.

debdelilah

On the Ice
I was referring to the tendency for world champions getting HIGHER scores than they deserve, not LOWER scores. It just seems kind of weird to me that they would hold the world champ DOWN instead of up (or giving the appropriate scores). Then again, we're only relying on one person's opinion...we need to see the event for ourselves to make sure.

Kimmie's PCS were higher than Miki's in the LP, and Ya-Na's PCS were much higher than Miki's. I think Miki's injury was just showing when she skated--she just tried to make it through, and did the jumps well, but with a sub-par performance for her.

Miki's tech content was better than Kimmie's in the LP, because of Kimmie's popped jumps. Miki got the late-in-the-program bonus for two 3-2 combos and one 3-2-2 combo.
Kimmie did two triple combos: the first was her 3-3, but the second was popped to a 3-1, and niether got the bonus for being near the end. Kimmie also popped one of her solo triples to a single.

Last edited:

debdelilah

On the Ice
All of the ladies long programs are up on youtube now.

Miki's program is noticably empty of choreography, but her jumps are beautiful, and she is exciting to watch. I never get bored watching her.

I really liked Kimmie's short, but her long is a little disappointing to me--her jumps have an awkward quality.

Yu-Na doesn't excite me for some reason. She has nice choreography, and definitely deserved to win, but I'm still rooting for Miki.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If it took 3 years for Miki to blossom, I think we can give equal time for Kimmie. I'm just not ready to write Kimmie off right now.

RIGHT on. Me neither. In fact I thought she would "struggle" a bit this season and then maybe come back strong next season. People are quick to write off skaters who have one unfortunate performance, or proclaim skaters the next Big One based on ONE great performance.

debdelilah

On the Ice
RIGHT on. Me neither. In fact I thought she would "struggle" a bit this season and then maybe come back strong next season. People are quick to write off skaters who have one unfortunate performance, or proclaim skaters the next Big One based on ONE great performance.

I don't think people are writing off Kimmie. She's only 17, already a World Champion, and she's just getting better.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But I think judging from some comments I've seen, some folks may be beginning to have doubts as to whether she can keep up the high level of skating that she managed to set herself last year at Nats and Worlds. And I point out that even the best of the best have their off-days or even off-seasons, so in other words I don't think we've seen the last of Kimmie yet. (or for that matter, Mao Asada and Miki Ando too.)

I still happen to think she's doing well, given the circumstances. She tends to improve towards the latter part of the season so if she's like this now, watch out everyone come January and March.

Last edited:

debdelilah

On the Ice
I still happen to think she's doing well, given the circumstances. She tends to improve towards the latter part of the season so if she's like this now, watch out everyone come January and March.

I also think she's doing well.
One thing about Kimmie is that she doesn't seem set in her ways--her short program at Skate America wasn't impressive, but she proved at TEB that she can make that program artistically impressive, even with mistakes. Seeing her do that convinces me that she will only improve as an artist.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I certainly hope so. She'll develop her own style over time.
thumbsup8de.gif

I don't get hung up on negative comments. I've seen too many athletes in all sports make a turn around. In skating there was Sarah Hughes, for example.

Joe