Are The Ladies' Styles Blossoming? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Are The Ladies' Styles Blossoming?

Fernan

Rinkside
Artistic merit is a matter of subjectivity,. One either likes the bravura style of skating a la Carol Heiss or the lyrical style of skating of Tenley Albright.

Then again, there was La Kwan who could do both.

Joe

sometimes in the same program!

Why limit one's self? For me, as long as the skater is truly feeling/listening to the music, it doesn't matter what "style" they are...

I feel the same way about ballet.
ITA nubka. When one feels the music the style will follow. I've watched so many Swan Lakes. I've seen ballerinas intent on being crisp and exact in their technique and others just melt in with the music. It's refreshing to see each ballerina at her best in whatever way she interprets that Swan. No style is wrong but it tells a lot about the performer.

Joe

waxel

Final Flight
Spun Silver, I went back and watched Mao's SP from SA. You're right. It was lovely. I'm still not thrilled with the Czardas music for her LP, but will look forward to seeing it again and how she has grown with it.

Perhaps a bit Off Topic, but I went back and skimmed other competitions and a few things stood out. One, Evan's Carmen program is really well performed and well choreographed. It looks like a "real program" not of the CoP paint-by-number-do-the-math variety we see so much of these days.

Alissa had a fairly solid LP at SC and barely missed the podium. Maybe she shouldn't be counted out completely?

I'm excited about the potential of Nari Nam and Leftheris.

A second look at Shen & Zao's Meditation nearly took my breath away. They are so exquisite ... I feel that each time I see them now is like a gift ... and one that we are not likely to receive again.

Is it Lori Nichol that did both Evan's and S&Z's programs? It would seem she has the system figured out.

Any particular programs are you looking forward to seeing again?